Arriving at Bowling Green
Free BGSU Airport Shuttle
There will be a free BGSU shuttle available to all incoming students for airport pick-up. Shuttle registration can be completed as soon as you have received your visa and have booked your flight to the U.S. by completing the shuttle registration form. Shuttle pick-up times will vary based on requests. You will receive an email closer to your arrival date with the pick-up schedule.
The nearest airports to Bowling Green are Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW) and Toledo Express Airport (TOL).
- Free airport shuttles will be provided on Sunday, Aug. 13 and Monday, Aug. 14, 2023. Registration for the free airport shuttle services will open in early May. The deadline to register for this FREE airport shuttle service is 5 p.m. (EST) Wednesday, Aug. 9, 2023.
For other pick up arrangements see below:
- If you choose NOT to take the free BGSU shuttle, you will need to make your own arrangements using other car services such as the BG Airport Shuttle, Uber, Lift, etc. These options are not free.
- The BG Airport Shuttle car service can pick up from Toledo Express Airport or Detroit Metro Airport for a fee. They must be contacted at least one week before your arrival to ensure proper preparation for your arrival. For more details about their services and fees, please email them at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Greyhound Bus does provide limited services between Detroit, Michigan and Bowling Green, Ohio. Check availability and pricing.
Temporary Accommodation Options
Please note that if you are living off-campus and will be looking for temporary accommodations, we encourage you to ask the hotels in the Bowling Green area, like Falcon Plaza, if they offer discounted rates to international students.
Students living on campus this spring will be permitted to move onto campus on Monday, August 14, 2023. Temporary housing is not available for students arriving early and students will be responsible for making their own overnight accommodations off-campus.
Toledo Express Airport (TOL) vs. Detroit Metropolitan Airport (DTW)
Please note that flights from TOL are typically more costly than DTW.
Estimated transportation fees from the airport (if you choose not to use the FREE airport shuttle)
*$200.00 Transportation Fee from Detroit Metropolitan Airport
*$100.00 Transportation Fee from Toledo Airport.
*Fees subject to change
What to Bring
Plan your wardrobe carefully as the weather in Bowling Green, Ohio varies greatly. Whether you are arriving August for the fall semester or January for the spring semester, you may find low temperatures ranging from 29.5⁰ Fahrenheit (-1.4 ⁰ C) to 63⁰ Fahrenheit (17.3⁰ C). Keep in mind that the wind chills can make it feel much colder during the winter season.
Here are some things to consider when packing for your trip to BGSU:
- You will have considerable expenses when you first arrive: Tuition, fees, health insurance, telephone and household items. We recommend that you bring at least $2,500 USD extra to cover your initial expenses.
- Students living off-campus will also have rent, deposits (1-3 months deposit may be required for some rentals), electricity and other potential costs. We recommend that you bring at least $2,500 USD extra to cover your initial expenses. *Graduate Assistants, please note you will receive your first stipend approximately during the middle of the first month of the semester.
- If you have dependents, plan for additional expenses: Approximately $5,000 per semester for health insurance, food, clothing, school supplies, telephone, etc. for each dependent.
- Bring everything from loose fitting, light-weight clothing to heavy winter coats and boots. Plan your wardrobe carefully as the weather in Bowling Green, Ohio varies greatly. Keep in mind that the wind chills can make it feel much colder during the winter season. If you do not have any winter clothes, you will be bale to purchase them upon your arrival at the local stores like Walmart, Meijer, TJMax, etc.
- When purchasing your winter coat, look for insulation products such as Thinsulate to provide extra warmth.
- Clothing can be purchased in town at various retailers in Bowling Green, but a larger selection may be found at The Shops At Fallen Timbers, which is about 18 miles north of Bowling Green, or Franklin Park Mall in Toledo, which is about 25 miles north of campus.
Updated: 04/17/2023 12:08PM