How to Get the Most out of your Experience
At orientation, you will have an opportunity to connect with current students, as well as staff members, and get to know some of your new fellow Falcons. You will be connected with an Orientation Leader who will lead you through orientation and will continue to be a resource for you. You will also be able to take care of some important “to-do” list items such as finalizing your financial aid and billing, getting your BG1 card and meeting with an Academic Advisor and Planner. We will also provide opportunities for campus tours and residence hall tours in the summer. Every step of the way, we encourage you to ask questions – we’re here for you!
Traveling from far away or staying in Bowling Green for the night? Check out the Travel & Accommodations for orientation!
We are proud you have chosen BGSU as the University where you will begin or continue your education and are looking forward to helping ease the transition. Thank you for choosing to join the BGSU family!
If you are living on campus next semester, after completing your Housing & Dining Agreement securing your orientation date is your next commitment to BGSU. If you are commuting next semester, your Orientation registration will be your official way to tell BGSU you are committing to the University.
When you are admitted to BGSU, we will email you instructions on how to register for orientation.
- Summer/Fall admits will be emailed in EARLY FEBRUARY or upon admission.
- Spring admits will be emailed in EARLY NOVEMBER or upon admission.
During orientation STUDENTS will be able to:
- Meet with an Orientation Leader and connect with other incoming students
- Take a tour of campus and meet with an Academic Advisor and Planner
- Learn about campus resources
Registration Process & How to Prepare
Before you can sign up for your student orientation date, you first need to be admitted to BGSU. Check your application status and submit any missing credentials. If you are already admitted, follow the important steps on this page so you can register and be prepared for orientation.
STEP 1: CREATE YOUR MYBGSU ACCOUNT & CHECK YOUR EMAIL REGULARLY
- Use the BGSU ID number on your Certificate of Admission from the Office of Admissions to set-up and activate your MyBGSU account.
- BGSU will use this email address to communicate important information to you, including information about Orientation and fall welcome events.
- Access the Falcon Forward First Year Success Canvas Shell (as soon as you receive the email invitation to join).
STEP 2: SCHEDULE YOUR ORIENTATION
- Spring 2023 orientation registration will open on Nov. 1 and will take place on January 6.
- Summer 2023 orientation registration will open on Feb. 1 and will take place on the following dates:
- May 25, 31
- June 1, 2, 6, 7, 9, 10, 20, 21, 23 (virtual), 24, 26, 27, and 29
- If you are an international student, please visit the International Programs and Partnerships website for more information on your orientation.
STEP 3: COMPLETE YOUR WRITING PLACEMENT ESSAY
- You can complete your placement essay by logging in to MyBGSU>Orientation>Placement Tests
STEP 4: COMPLETE ALL FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- File the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) BGSU’s school code - 003018
- Make your payment for tuition or sign-up for a payment plan by logging in to MyBGSU>Student Center>Select My Account
- Please note, your spring bill will be issued on Dec. 1 and due on Jan. 1. Questions? Visit Taking Care of Your Bill
STEP 5: SEND YOUR DOCUMENTS
- The Office of Admissions needs you to send the following documents as soon as possible. Most high schools and colleges will know how to do this:
- Final Transcripts
- College Transcripts (If applicable)
- AP Scores
STEP 6: START BUILDING YOUR COURSE SCHEDULE
Prior to your orientation date, you will receive communication from an Academic Advisor and Planner through your BGSU email to gather more information and help build your class schedule. They will take into consideration information about your interests, goals, major requirements, previous college credit, placement exams and BG perspective requirements.
It's important to understand that course scheduling will happen both before and after your orientation date so we encourage you to check your BGSU email for updates and review the new student class registration process prior to orientation.
STEP 7: BRING ALL NECESSARY MATERIALS WITH YOU
- Any questions and/or concerns that arise after reviewing the advising information
- College transcripts that have not yet been turned in to the Office of Admissions
- A jacket or sweater
- One of the following forms of identification:
- Valid state-issued driver’s license with photo
- State-issued photo ID card
- Passport with photo
- Military ID card
STEP 8: CONNECT WITH OTHER 2023 INCOMING STUDENTS
- Hundreds of future BGSU students join our 'BGSU Incoming Class of 2023' Facebook Group every week. The group is exclusively for new and transfer students and worth creating a Facebook account for, if you don't have one already.
- Get to know other students before you move-in, find someone to create a room selection group with, get advice from your peers ... and more!
Register for Orientation
2023 Spring Orientation registration will open on Nov. 1.
2023 Summer Orientation registration will open on Feb. 1 and orientation dates will fill up on a first-come, first-served basis.
When you log into the system, you may not see all of the dates available that are listed on this web page. If a date is no longer available, that means it is full.
**International students do not need to sign up for Orientation. You will receive more information from International Programs & Partnerships.**
If you do not have your MyBGSU account, you need to create one before registering. If you need assistance, contact email@example.com or 419-372-0353.
January In-Person Orientations
This date is for students starting during Spring 2023.
- Friday, January 6
May In-Person Orientations
- Thursday, May 25
- Wednesday, May 31
June In-Person Orientations
- Thursday, June 1
- Friday, June 2
- Tuesday, June 6
- Wednesday, June 7
- Friday, June 9
- Saturday, June 10
- Tuesday, June 20
- Wednesday, June 21
- Friday, June 23 (Virtual)
- Saturday, June 24
- Monday, June 26
- Tuesday, June 27
- Thursday, June 29
- Accessible parking is available in parking lots for persons who properly display a current state-issued disability placard in accordance with Ohio Revised Code. Please notify us of your needs for accommodations at least two weeks prior to your arrival by returning to your online reservation, emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, or calling our office at 419-372-0353.
- To individuals with disabilities, please indicate if you need special services, assistance or appropriate modifications to fully participate in this event by contacting Accessibility Services at email@example.com or 419-372-8495. Please notify us prior to the event.
Still have questions?
Check out the Orientation Frequently Asked Questions!
If there are still any concerns contact New Student Orientation at firstname.lastname@example.org or 419-372-0353 for assistance.
Updated: 03/20/2023 10:50AM