Psychology of Spirituality and Relationships
The Psychology of Spirituality and Relationships website features scientific research on the helpful and harmful roles that religion and spirituality can play in family and close relationships or, in other words, Relational Spirituality.
- Mahoney, A. & Boyatzis, C. (2019). Parenting, religion, and spirituality. M. Bornstein (Ed.), Handbook of Parenting (3ed), pp 516-552. NY, NY: Routledge
- Padgett, E., Mahoney, A., Pargament, K. I., & DeMaris, A. (2019). Marital sanctification and spiritual intimacy predicting married couples’ observed intimacy skills across the transition to parenthood. Religions, 10, (3), 177; https://www.mdpi.com/2077-1444/10/3/177/htm
- Mahoney, A. (2018) Encouragement and Advice to Leap into Relational Spirituality APA Division 36/Society for the Psychology of Religion and Spirituality Presidential column.
- Hernandez, K. M. & Annette Mahoney, A. (2018) Sex through a sacred lens: Longitudinal effects of the sanctification of marital sexuality. Journal of Family Psychology, 32 (4), 425-434. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/fam0000392.
- Rostosky, S. S., Abreu, R. L., Mahoney, A., & Riggle, E. D. B. (2017). A qualitative study of parenting and religiosity/spirituality in LBGTQ families. Psychology of Religion and Spirituality, 9(4), 437-445. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/rel0000077
- Pargament, K. K., Oman, D., Pomerleau, J. & Mahoney, A. (2017). Some contributions of a psychological approach to the study of the sacred. Religion, 47, Published online: 05 Jun 2017. http://doi.org/10.1080/0048721X.2017.1333205
- Mahoney, A., Abadi, L., & Pargament, K. I. (2015). Tolerate or transform? Exploring women's struggles and resources to cope with intimate partner violence. J. A. Johnson (Ed.), Religion and men's violence again women (pp. 45-59). New York: Springer Publishers.
- Hawley, A. R., Mahoney, A., Pargament, K. I., & Gordon, A. K. (2015). Sexuality and spirituality as predictors of distress over a romantic breakup: Mediated and moderated pathways. Spirituality in Clinical Practice, 2 (2), 145-159. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/scp0000034
- Also see Journal of Family Psychology Special Sections on Religion and Spirituality in Family Life: Oct. 2014 & Dec. 2014
RELATIONAL SPIRITUALITY: ADVANCING 21st CENTURY SCIENCE ON FAITH IN DIVERSE FAMILIES Conference held March 2015
Media Friendly Articles:
- Reaching out to all faiths and families to reduce corporal punishment: How religion relates to corporal punishment.
Society for the Psychology of Religion and Spirituality Newsletter | October 2017
- "A Sacred Union: New Research on the Spiritual Dimensions of Marriage."
- Spring 2013 edition of BGSU Magazine for an article titled State of American Families that features our work on spirituality and family life.