Center for Photochemical Sciences
The Center for Photochemical Sciences, established in 1985, evolved from research activities of faculty in the Department of Chemistry at Bowling Green State University to make more effective use of focused resources in the photochemical sciences by assembling teams of scientists collaborating in an interactive, interdisciplinary research setting.
Center members include BGSU faculty from the Departments of Chemistry, Physics and Astronomy, and Biological Sciences. Its unifying intellectual theme focuses on the study of the interaction of light with physical, chemical, and biological systems, and on the quest for practical applications of that basic knowledge, which stimulate new technology. The Center serves to expand the synergy of research, teaching, and applications in the photochemical sciences.
Goals and Objectives
- To conduct research across displinary boundaries.
- To prepare students and professionals for careers in industry and academia.
- To support established technological business through consultation and collaboration, particularly in our immediate locale, and to support the development of new business based on photoscience.
- To serve as a resource center and transfer knowledge to those outside the Center.
- Strong interaction on regional, state, and national levels with industries whose research, development and product initiatives involve the photochemical sciences.
- A distinguished scientific advisory board composed of leaders in the photosciences from industry and academia who participate in policy, planning, and establishment of long-range goals for the Center.
- Research collaborations at the local, regional, national, and international levels.
- The center welcomed 2 new members this Fall. Say hello to Dr. Joseph Furgal and Dr. Jayaraman Sivaguru
- Ohio Photochemical Society Meeting will be held at Maumee Bay State park. April 20, 2017
- "Photoresponsive materials come to light in BGSU laboratory", February 27, 2017
- Dr. Alexis Ostrowski named "Emerging Investigator," , January 17. 2017
- 2012 W. Heinlen Hall Lecturer, Jean-Pierre Sauvage, awarded Nobel Prize in Chemistry for work on molecular machines, October 5, 2016
- Grad student Giuseppe Giammanco to pitch idea at The Hatch entrepreneurship competition, April 4, 2016
- BGSU partners to build diversity in faculty ranks from graduate level up, January 27, 2016
- Alumnus, faculty scholar connect to answer biochemical questions,
December 8, 2015
- BGSU to host 2015 Ohio Inorganic Weekend: Nov 13-14, September 15, 2015
- Malcolm D. E. Forbes to lead Center for Photochemical Sciences, May 14, 2015
- Graduate student Ali Akdeniz receives 2015-2016 McMaster Fellowship; Graduate students Giuseppe Giammanco and Natalia Razgoniaeva receive travel fellowships, April 23, 2015
- Graduate student Mary Bauman receives the university's 2014-2015 Outstanding Graduate Student Teaching Award. March 20, 2015
- Abstracts are now being accepted for the Ohio Photochemical Society meeeting in May. February 16, 2015
- Professor George Bullerjahn and BGSU biologists lead project to protect Sandusky city water supply. January 29, 2015
- Students from Ostrowski lab make photoresponsive materials. January 29, 2015
- Professor Peter Lu elected as American Physical Society (APS) Fellow. January 8, 2015
- BGSU undergrads make strides in photochemical sciences. August 28, 2014
- Graduate student Sergey Matveev receives the 2014-2015 McMaster Graduate Research Fellowship. April 28, 2014
- Professor Mikhail Zamkov receives Olscamp Research Award. April 25, 2014
- New organic chemistry lab hosts open house. September 26, 2013
- Ground broken for new Bureau of Criminal Investigation laboratory at BGSU. July 24, 2013
- Forensic science specialization to be offered at BGSU. March 25, 2013
- Alumni honors Dr. Tom Kinstle for fueling his energy research. January 28, 2013
- SPIE highlights Doug Neckers as a pioneer in stereolithography. January 15, 2013
All seminars will be held in Overman Hall 123 at 3:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
January 10, 2018
Jier Huang - Marquette University
January 17, 2018 - *** Seminar will be at 1:30 p.m. ***
John La Scala - Army Research Laboratory
February 28, 2018
Christopher Elles - The Univeristy of Kansas
March 14, 2018
Marcia Levitus - Arizona State University
March 21, 2018
Bern Kohler - The Ohio State University
March 28, 2018
Hannah Shafaat - The Ohio State University
April 4, 2018
Igor Alabugin - Florida State University
April 11, 2018
Michael Therien - Duke Univeristy
April 18, 2018
Emily McLaurin - Kansas State University
April 25, 2018
Ronald Castellano - University of Florida