Center for Photochemical Sciences
The Center for Photochemical Sciences, established in 1985, evolved
from research activities of faculty in the Department of Chemistry at
Bowling Green State University to make more effective use of focused
resources in the photochemical sciences by assembling teams of
scientists collaborating in an interactive, interdisciplinary research
Center members include BGSU faculty from the Departments of Chemistry, Physics and Astronomy, and Biological Sciences. Its unifying intellectual theme focuses on the study of the interaction of light with physical, chemical, and biological systems, and on the quest for practical applications of that basic knowledge, which stimulate new technology. The Center serves to expand the synergy of research, teaching, and applications in the photochemical sciences.
Goals and Objectives
- To conduct research across displinary boundaries.
- To prepare students and professionals for careers in industry and academia.
- To support established technological business through consultation and collaboration, particularly in our immediate locale, and to support the development of new business based on photoscience.
- To serve as a resource center and transfer knowledge to those outside the Center.
- Strong interaction on regional, state, and national levels with industries whose research, development and product initiatives involve the photochemical sciences.
- A distinguished scientific advisory board composed of leaders in the photosciences from industry and academia who participate in policy, planning, and establishment of long-range goals for the Center.
- Research collaborations at the local, regional, national, and international levels.
Photochemical Society Meeting will be held at Maumee Bay State
park. April 20, 2017
- "Photoresponsive materials come to light in BGSU laboratory", February 27, 2017
Alexis Ostrowski named "Emerging Investigator," ,
January 17. 2017
- 2012 W. Heinlen Hall Lecturer, Jean-Pierre Sauvage, awarded Nobel Prize in Chemistry for work on molecular machines, October 5, 2016
student Giuseppe Giammanco to pitch idea at The Hatch
entrepreneurship competition, April 4, 2016
- BGSU partners to build diversity in faculty ranks from graduate level up, January 27, 2016
Alumnus, faculty scholar connect to answer
December 8, 2015
- BGSU to host 2015 Ohio Inorganic Weekend: Nov 13-14, September 15, 2015
D. E. Forbes to lead Center for Photochemical Sciences, May
- Graduate student Ali Akdeniz
receives 2015-2016 McMaster Fellowship; Graduate students Giuseppe
Giammanco and Natalia Razgoniaeva receive travel fellowships,
April 23, 2015
- Graduate student Mary Bauman receives the university's 2014-2015 Outstanding Graduate Student Teaching Award. March 20, 2015
are now being accepted for the Ohio Photochemical Society meeeting
in May. February 16, 2015
George Bullerjahn and BGSU biologists lead project to protect
Sandusky city water supply. January 29, 2015
Students from Ostrowski lab make
photoresponsive materials. January 29, 2015
Professor Peter Lu elected as American
Physical Society (APS) Fellow. January 8, 2015
undergrads make strides in photochemical sciences. August
- Graduate student Sergey Matveev
receives the 2014-2015 McMaster Graduate Research Fellowship.
April 28, 2014
- Professor Mikhail Zamkov receives Olscamp Research Award. April 25, 2014
- New organic chemistry lab hosts open house. September 26, 2013
- Ground broken for new Bureau of Criminal Investigation laboratory at BGSU. July 24, 2013
- Forensic science specialization to be offered at BGSU. March 25, 2013
- Alumni honors Dr. Tom Kinstle for fueling his energy research. January 28, 2013
- SPIE highlights Doug Neckers as a pioneer in stereolithography. January 15, 2013
All seminars will be held in Overman Hall 123 at 3:30 p.m. unless otherwise noted.
January 11, 2017
Douglas Genna - Youngstown State
January 18, 2017
John Keith - Pittsburgh
In Silico Searches for Renewable Energy Catalysts Through Chemical Compound Space
February 1, 2017
Kraig Wheeler- Eastern Illionins University
Exploiting Shape Spaces of Molecular Recognition- Sense and Sensibility
February 15, 2017
Laura Gagliardi - University of Minnesota
Computationally Guided Discovery of Metal-Decorated Metal-Organic Frameworks Active for Catalysis
March 22, 2017
Tim Lian - Emory
March 29, 2017
Ming Lee Tang - UC Riverside
Directing Energy Transfer Between Semiconductor Nanocrystals and Molecules
April 12, 2017
Plamen Atanassov - UNM
April 26, 2017
Psaras McGrier - The Ohio State University