Placement Tests are not required for admission to BGSU.
However, Some BGSU courses may require a placement test-- Specifically our Writing, Math, and some Science courses.
Please see the information below regarding how to access our placement tests.
Step 1: Complete Writing Placement. You can access the placement using your BGSU username and password. The placement site can be accessed here:
Step 2: Check your BGSU email. Once your essay and revision plan has been evaluated you will receive an email with your placement result (placements take approximately 1-week to be evaluated)
Please see additional information about the placement essaybelow.
Writing Placement Instructions:
- If you are interested in registering for a WRIT (University Writing Program) class to fulfill a high school English credit you will need to complete the Writing Placement. To access the writing placement go to the following link https://services.bgsu.edu/uwpplacement. Use your BGSU username and password to log-in.
- You will be given a choice of three possible writing prompts. Read each prompt carefully and then choose ONE you wish to write on.
- While you are expected to spend no more than two hours writing an essay of no more than 800 words in response to the prompt you selected, you will actually have a 24-hour window within which to submit your essay and revision plan. The 24-hour period will begin when you first access the site and will end 24 hours later; you may access the site an unlimited number of times within that 24-hour period, and you may submit your essay at any point within that 24-hour period. However, you may submit only one essay.
- You are encouraged to write your essay using your own word processing software (such as Word or WordPerfect), and must cut and paste your essay into the writing placement text box to submit your essay.
- When your 24-hour window for submitting your essay and revision plan has ended, your access to the site will end, so be sure to complete and submit your essay and revision plan within that 24-hour period.
- Once you have successfully submitted the essay and revision plan, you will receive an email sent to your BGSU email account notifying you that BGSU has received your essay.
Is assistance with the Writing Placement permitted?
Do not obtain any form of assistance while taking the Writing Placement. This includes consulting with a teacher, parent or friend for proofreading or editing your written essay. It is imperative that you honor this important part of the placement guidelines. It is to your disadvantage to receive a score higher than your actual abilities. A score that is too high would place you in a course beyond your capabilities with a limited probability of success.
- If you have official ACT scores on file with BGSU, you may not need to take the Math Placement test. ACT scores are evaluated on an as-needed basis. Please contact the CCP office at email@example.com if you have questions regarding the Math Placement.
- If you wish to enroll in a math course at BGSU, you will need to take the mathematics placement at the Learning Commons in the library. Call to schedule an appointment: 419-372-2823. You may schedule the placement between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. Bring you BG ID or other photo ID, your username/password, and a pencil or pen.
- You will select one of three placement tests. It is recommended that you take a practice test beforehand, available on the Learning Commons web site: http://www.bgsu.edu/content/bgsu/en/learning-commons/mathematics-and-statistics/math-placement-information.html
- You are allowed 60 minutes for the mathematics test. Calculators are NOT permitted.
- If you take the test more than once, only the highest score earned is recorded.
Students who plan to study foreign language and have previous foreign language experience should complete the foreign language placement exam. Student should complete the placement exam prior to their initial advising appointment. The online foreign language placement test (WebCAPE – Chinese, French, German, Italian, Russian or Spanish) can be taken on any mobile device, tablet, laptop, computer, etc.
The exam will only take between 5-20 minutes, depending on skill level. Placement cutoff scores are advisory, as all students should consult with an academic advisor or World Languages and Cultures faculty prior to self-enrolling in their first language course at Bowling Green State University. To complete the placement exam, please visit:
If you have computer-related questions, please contact ITS via live chat or the Technology Support Center at 419-372-0999. Technical/computer-related questions might include the following situations:
- You are not able to enter or locate the test site.
- Your password is not functioning.
- Your computer system crashes during the test.
- Test pages are not loading correctly, or parts of the directions are not visible.
- You do not receive a confirmation email to your BGSU email account within two days after submitting a test.