Frequently asked questions about scholarship and financial aid
Step 1: Apply to BGSU and be accepted!
Step 2: You will automatically be considered for the University Freshman Academic Scholarship and other scholarships based on a comprehensive review of your BGSU application. No essay, recommendation letters or interview are required.
Step 3: File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) application and be sure to list BGSU’s school code: 003018. Need help? Check out our step-by-step instructions for completing the FAFSA. The U.S. Department of Education has tentatively announced the 2024/2025 FAFSA will open in December.
Step 4: Complete your BGSU General Scholarship Application through the Searchable Scholarship Guide, which will allow you to investigate and apply for any scholarships (Opens every October).
Everyone is eligible to apply for some form of financial aid! The type of aid you may receive depends on a variety of factors, including your academic and service achievements, personal circumstances and intended field of study, among others.
We know a college degree is a serious investment, and one of our main goals is to help you reduce student debt.
- BGSU awards an average of 5,800 scholarships totaling approximately $25 million each year
- Scholarships are considered gift aid and do not require repayment
- Awards are based on academic achievement, service, talent and need
- We also accept scholarships awarded by outside organizations
- Grants are need-based and do not require repayment
- Federal and state grants are limited to lower-income students as determined by the FAFSA and U.S. government
- Student loans must be repaid and accumulate interest
- Federal Direct Student Loan for undergraduate students is available to help meet educational costs
- Parent PLUS Loans may also be offered to parents to help students cover their remaining balances
Employment on campus
- BGSU employs approximately 4,000 students on campus throughout the year
- Student employees work an average of 10 to 20 hours per week
- Students earn at least minimum wage
- Students may also qualify for a work study if they indicate interest on their FAFSA; however, students don’t need a work study to be employed on campus
University Freshman Academic Scholarship
The University Freshman Academic Scholarship ranges from $1,000 to $9,500 and is renewable for all four years based on a comprehensive review of your application. No essay, no recommendation letter and no interview.
Want an honors experience and chance to earn Honors scholarships? BGSU Honors College offers an array of benefits - small class sizes, research opportunities, travel, a residence dedicated just to Honors as well as scholarships.
Thompson Working Families Scholarship
The Thompson Working Families Scholarship is $11,000 a year, thanks to the support of Robert and Ellen Thompson and Bowling Green State University. Incoming first-year students (like yourself) who remain in good standing may receive up to $44,000 over the course of their BGSU education. Thompson Scholars also receive in-depth advising, personal and professional development opportunities and a chance to develop the same heart for service that is the hallmark of the Thompsons' exceptional legacy.
- BG Success Scholarship for Out-of-State Students
- Indiana reciprocity/in-state tuition for the following counties: Adams, Allen, Blackford, Clark, Dearborn, Decatur, DeKalb, Delaware, Fayette, Floyd, Franklin, Harrison, Henry, Jay, Jefferson, Jennings, Noble, Ohio, Randolph, Ripley, Rush, Scott, Steuben, Switzerland, Union, Washington, Wayne and Wells.
- Michigan Out of State Award allows students living in Monroe and Lenawee counties with minimum 3.0 high school GPA to pay in-state tuition..
STEM Scholarships (AIMS, Owens Corning, Choose Ohio First)
President’s Leadership Academy - full-tuition
The Sidney A. Ribeau President's Leadership Academy is a four-year leadership development program that engages scholars in classes, workshops, experiential learning, and community service activities. The curriculum focuses on specific outcomes, with each year's experience building on those of the previous year.
Falcon Achievement Award
- $1,000 to $3,000 renewable scholarship
- Must have minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA
- Out-of-state students encouraged to apply; award based on commitment to diversity
- Must complete application, file FAFSA and be admitted to BGSU by February 15, 2024
Updated: 09/12/2023 02:58PM