Math Placement at BGSU
A math placement code is assigned to each undergraduate student so we can make sure you do not enroll in a math class before you are ready. So, having an accurate placement code on file is very important.
Regardless of your current major, having a math placement code on record will help us guide you as you design your BGSU academic journey. There are many math, science and business courses that require a minimum math placement code – and even if you don't have to take these courses now, if you change your major or declare a minor, you may need a placement code in the future.
Math Placement Overview
Your math placement code will be determined one of two ways:
What are Math Placement Codes?
Your math placement code is a number between 1 and 71 stored on your electronic record at BGSU and associated with specific course levels. You will not be able to enroll in a class above your placement, but you can choose to take the courses listed below that correspond to your placement code. Historically, students who have taken a course above their mathematics placement have done worse than students who were placed into the class, so it's essential to have an accurate placement.
If you believe your placement is inappropriately low, you can take a math placement test, and the highest placement will be used. If your major requires one or more of the courses listed below, you may benefit from taking a math placement test. You can look up all majors at BGSU and see the course requirements for each one. You can also look up all minors at BGSU. The math course map shows the order in which students take 1000-level MATH and BA classes.
|Math Placement Codes||1||2||11||20||24||32||41||42||51||61||71|
|A code of 1 means we do not have an ACT or SAT math score on file. You may enroll in the courses listed under "Placement 1," but you will need to successfully complete Math 1220 or take the math placement test and receive a placement of "32" or above if you need to enroll in a higher-level course.||X|
|A code of 2 means we do not have your high school GPA on file. You may enroll in the courses listed under "Placement 2," but you will need to successfully complete Math 1220 or take the math placement test and receive a placement of "32" or above if you need to enroll in a higher-level course.||X|
|MATH 1150, 1190, 1220 (all undergraduate students may register)||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X|
|MATH 1230, 1280||X||X||X||X||X|
|MATH 1310* & 1340*||X||X|
|MATH 1310H* (Honors College students only)||X|
|STAT 2000 (all undergraduate students may register)||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X||X|
* These courses are only recommended if you have have successfully completed a precalculus course. If you haven't taken precalculus, we strongly recommend taking MATH 1280 before registering for MATH 1310, 1310H or 1340.
Important Details About Automated Math Placement
- You won't receive an automated math placement until BGSU has your ACT/SAT math score and your cumulative high school GPA.
- If you have ACT or SAT scores that you would like to submit to BGSU so that you can get an automated math placement (instead of taking the math placement test), follow the instructions to send ACT/SAT scores to BGSU under the heading "Submit official ACT or SAT test results".
- We will start processing automated math placements in May.
- If we are able to assign you an automated math placement, an email will be sent to your BGSU account once we start processing math placement codes.
- The email will include your math placement code and information about the math placement test – just in case you would like to try to improve your math placement code, but that is completely optional.
- If you choose to take the math placement test, the highest math placement will be used to determine which courses you are eligible to enroll in.
- If BGSU receives a new ACT or SAT score or a more recent high school GPA, your math placement code will be recalculated. If this improves your mathematics placement, you will receive an additional email sent to your BGSU account notifying you of the new placement.