Spirit of BG Award
BGSU functions daily on random acts of compassion, kindness, courage, expert help, extra effort, and caring toward our students and colleagues. These gestures, which build and strengthen our community, continue to be acknowledged, and the responsible individual recognized, by the presentation of the "Spirit of BG" award.
We all know when someone goes the extra mile to help; however, this person often goes about their day with little or no fanfare to acknowledge their "good works." Now you have the opportunity and means to thank that person.
Congratulations to our winners!
Congratulations to Victoria Kontos of BGSU Firelands Admissions – the winner of the November Spirit of BG Award! Victoria was nominated by Jenn Buening. Here’s a bit of what Jenn had to say about Victoria:
“Victoria wears many hats to serve the campus community. Outside of her regular role of recruiting and admitting students to the university, Victoria also serves as a lead with the BG Firelands Social Marketing team. Our social media "views" have increased greatly over the last two years because of Victoria's hard work in this area. Victoria also assists with various events across the campus, including Falcon Days, our open house/on campus orientation event for new students. Victoria is responsible for the marketing, invites, and RSVP to the event and because of her hard work we've seen an increase in attendees year after year. This event is one of our most popular here at Firelands and students walk away saying they feel better connected to the Firelands Campus and better prepared to start their school year. While Falcon Days isn't something that's in Victoria's job description, she willingly steps up and volunteers to help (and do more) year after year.”
Thanks for your hard work, Victoria!
- September - Harley King, BGSU Athletics
- October - Laura Barned, Firelands Admissions
- August - Paul Valdez, Center of Public Impact
- September - Kim Brooks, Undergraduate Education
- October - Michael Leopardo, Intercollegiate Athletics
- November - Claire Hoover, College of Education
- December - Kristi Peiffer, Design and Construction
- January - Michael Laurello, College of Musical Arts
- September – Jamie Wlosowicz, Center for Women and Gender Equity
- October – Julie Hamann, Firelands Instructional Media
- November – Karyn Smith, Recreation and Wellness
- December – Holly Cipriani, College Credit Plus Program
- January – Chad Fletcher, Information Technology Services
- February – Toni Gordon, Diversity and Belonging
Any current full-time or part-time administrative staff member who is employed at BGSU or Firelands is eligible for the award.
The Administrative Staff Council wants to recognize, on a monthly basis, administrative staff employees who are caught showing "The Spirit of BG" as defined by any of the core values of BGSU. The Core Values to which the University adheres include:
- Intellectual and personal growth
- Creativity, innovation and entrepreneurism
- Diversity and inclusion
- Collaboration with each other and our partners
- Excellence in all we do
Presentation and Selection Information
Awards are given monthly during the academic year and consist of a check for $50, congratulations from colleagues and friends and a certificate of appreciation.
If you are a member of the University community (faculty, staff, student) you may nominate an administrative staff employee for "The Spirit of BG Award". Complete this nomination form, providing a short summary as to why you feel this person is deserving of this award.
Nominations must be received by 5 p.m. the last day of the month to be considered for the following month's recognition.