Spirit of BG Award
BGSU functions daily on random acts of compassion, kindness, courage, expert help, extra effort, and caring toward our students and colleagues. These gestures, which build and strengthen our community, continue to be acknowledged, and the responsible individual recognized, by the presentation of the "Spirit of BG" award.
We all know when someone goes the extra mile to help; however, this person often goes about their day with little or no fanfare to acknowledge their "good works." Now you have the opportunity and means to thank that person.
Congratulations to our winners!
Congratulations to Kari Storm-Wilson from the Office of Academic Affairs! Kari is the winner of the April Spirit of BG Award and was nominated by Lisa Schaller. Here’s a bit of what she had to say about Kari:
“She is a very hard worker with many hours after work hours as well as weekends putting together different programs for the public and University. She has been the brains behind BEST Robotics for the past 5/6 years. She jumped into her position as BEST Robotics Hub Chair three months after assuming the position and has led it through COVID virtual game seasons as well as face-to-face seasons. She is the driving force behind engaging middle, junior, and senior high school students in STEM engagement and BEST Robotics activities. She is very deserving of this award, as her work, for most, goes on behind the scenes, but she does the work of many. I am honored to nominate Kari Storm-Wilson for this award. Thank you."
Thanks for your hard work, Kari!
- July - Jenn Buening, Academic & Career Counseling - BGSU Firelands
- August - Jason Graven, Nontraditional and Military Student Services
- September - Meredith Errington, Information Technology Services
- October - Lori Fox, Nontraditional and Military Student Services
- November - Will O'Leary, Intercollegiate Athletics
- December - Krista Westrick-Payne, Sociology/National Center for Family & Marriage Research
- January - Dae'lyn Do, Thompson Scholarship Programs
- February - Kori Koschalk-Newmister
- March - Derm Forde
- April - Kari Wilson
- September - Harley King, BGSU Athletics
- October - Laura Barned, Student Success and Life Design
- November - Victoria Kontos, Admissions - BGSU Firelands
- December - Becky Cogswell, Registration and Records
- January - Kristin Payne, Thompson Scholarship Programs
- February - Danielle Parker, University Advancement
- March - Erica Mills, Admissions
- May - Bob Kline, Sudent Success and Life Design
- June - Brandi Barhite, Office of Admissions
- August - Paul Valdez, Center of Public Impact
- September - Kim Brooks, Undergraduate Education
- October - Michael Leopardo, Intercollegiate Athletics
- November - Claire Hoover, College of Education
- December - Kristi Peiffer, Campus Construction
- January - Michael Laurello, College of Musical Arts
- September – Jamie Wlosowicz, Center for Women and Gender Equity
- October – Julie Hamann, Firelands Instructional Media
- November – Karyn Smith, Recreation and Wellness
- December – Holly Cipriani, College Credit Plus Program
- January – Chad Fletcher, Information Technology Services
- February – Toni Gordon, Diversity and Belonging
Criteria and Eligibility
Any current full-time or part-time administrative staff member who is employed at BGSU or Firelands is eligible for the award.
The Administrative Staff Council wants to recognize, on a monthly basis, administrative staff employees who are caught showing "The Spirit of BG" as defined by any of the core values of BGSU. The Core Values to which the University adheres include:
- Intellectual and personal growth
- Creativity, innovation and entrepreneurism
- Diversity and inclusion
- Collaboration with each other and our partners
- Excellence in all we do
Presentation and Selection Information
Awards are given monthly during the academic year. The award consists of a cash award of $75, congratulations from colleagues and friends and a certificate of appreciation.
Winners are announced approximately two weeks after deadline, the end of each month.
If you are a member of the University community (faculty, staff, student) you may nominate an administrative staff employee for "The Spirit of BG Award". Complete this nomination form, providing a short summary as to why you feel this person is deserving of this award.
Nominations must be received by 5 p.m. the last day of the month to be considered for that month's recognition. For example, nominate by August 31st for the August Spirit Award.
If you have questions about the awards criteria or confirmation of submission, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated: 05/31/2023 06:50PM