Spirit of BG Award
BGSU functions daily on random acts of compassion, kindness, courage, expert help, extra effort, and caring toward our students and colleagues. These gestures, which build and strengthen our community, continue to be acknowledged, and the responsible individual recognized, by the presentation of the "Spirit of BG" award.
We all know when someone goes the extra mile to help; however, this person often goes about their day with little or no fanfare to acknowledge their "good works." Now you have the opportunity and means to thank that person.
Congratulations to our winners!
Congratulations to Brandi Barhite from Office of Admissions! Brandi is the winner of the May Spirit of BG Award! Brandi was nominated by Cecilia Castellano. Here’s a bit of what they had to say about Brandi:
“Brandi is one of the most creative, innovative, collaborative staff members I have had the privilege of working with at BGSU. While she excels in many aspects of her work, I am nominating for her innovation in supporting the BGSU campus during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Brandi volunteered to stand up and supervise the Covid 19 call center in addition to her already demanding role. This center was open and accessible each day of the pandemic. Taking nearly 5,700 calls and making over 3,400 calls to help the BGSU community navigate anything related to Covid. She led the call center staff in delivering informative, caring and timely information during a period when there was so much uncertainly.
Brandi collected the questions and comments to help inform what answers were needed, provided feedback on how decisions were impacting the campus community and kept a sense of calm and optimism for her call team even during very difficult days.
Brandi would jump in and answer calls and return calls at all hours of the day and during her time off. Many times, she dealt with BGSU faculty, staff and students or families upset or questioning decisions or requirements during the pandemic. She kept a professional and empathic demeanor in all calls and allowed the campus community to feel heard.
I am not sure BGSU would have navigated the pandemic so successfully without her leadership of this important initiative for BGSU.”
Thanks for your hard work, Brandi!
- September - Harley King, BGSU Athletics
- October - Laura Barned, Student Success and Life Design
- November - Victoria Kontos, Admissions - BGSU Firelands
- December - Becky Cogswell, Registration and Records
- January - Kristin Payne, Thompson Scholarship Programs
- February - Danielle Parker, University Advancement
- March - Erica Mills, Admissions
- April - Bob Kline, Sudent Success and Life Design
- August - Paul Valdez, Center of Public Impact
- September - Kim Brooks, Undergraduate Education
- October - Michael Leopardo, Intercollegiate Athletics
- November - Claire Hoover, College of Education
- December - Kristi Peiffer, Campus Construction
- January - Michael Laurello, College of Musical Arts
- September – Jamie Wlosowicz, Center for Women and Gender Equity
- October – Julie Hamann, Firelands Instructional Media
- November – Karyn Smith, Recreation and Wellness
- December – Holly Cipriani, College Credit Plus Program
- January – Chad Fletcher, Information Technology Services
- February – Toni Gordon, Diversity and Belonging
Any current full-time or part-time administrative staff member who is employed at BGSU or Firelands is eligible for the award.
The Administrative Staff Council wants to recognize, on a monthly basis, administrative staff employees who are caught showing "The Spirit of BG" as defined by any of the core values of BGSU. The Core Values to which the University adheres include:
- Intellectual and personal growth
- Creativity, innovation and entrepreneurism
- Diversity and inclusion
- Collaboration with each other and our partners
- Excellence in all we do
Presentation and Selection Information
Awards are given monthly during the academic year and consist of a check for $50, congratulations from colleagues and friends and a certificate of appreciation.
If you are a member of the University community (faculty, staff, student) you may nominate an administrative staff employee for "The Spirit of BG Award". Complete this nomination form, providing a short summary as to why you feel this person is deserving of this award.
Nominations must be received by 5 p.m. the last day of the month to be considered for the following month's recognition.
Updated: 06/23/2022 12:10PM