Spirit of BG Award
BGSU functions daily on random acts of compassion, kindness, courage, expert help, extra effort, and caring toward our students and colleagues. These gestures, which build and strengthen our community, continue to be acknowledged, and the responsible individual recognized, by the presentation of the "Spirit of BG" award.
We all know when someone goes the extra mile to help; however, this person often goes about their day with little or no fanfare to acknowledge their "good works." Now you have the opportunity and means to thank that person.
Congratulations to our winners!
Congratulations to Krista Westrick-Payne from Sociology/National Center for Family & Marriage Research! Krista is the winner of the December Spirit of BG Award! She was nominated by her supervisor Susan Brown. Here’s a bit of what she had to say about Krista:
“Krista Westrick-Payne consistently goes above and beyond expectations in her position as Assistant Director of the National Center for Family & Marriage Research (NCFMR). This semester, she created a stunning data visualization with numerous infographics for the BGSU 100th Homecoming Falcon Flames Vow Renewal event. This data viz brought significant visibility to our Center at an event attended by more than 200 Falcon Flame couples, President Rogers, and others. Her quick turnaround on the data viz product aligns with all of the components of "Spirit of BG", especially excellence, collaboration, innovation, and creativity. Her work consistently embodies these and other relevant traits. For example, she has led a refresh of the NCFMR website, which is visited by scholars across the country and around the world. Her creativity and vision for the new website will generate additional traffic toour site, again elevating the visibility of the excellent work performed by faculty and staff affiliated with the NCFMR. Her entrepreneurial spirit drives her quest for excellence in all that she does. She is always eager to try new things, and is regularly developing new skills that enhance the products and activities of our Center. Krista is an amazing colleague whose enthusiasm and commitment to excellence are infectious—she makes all of us better at the Center. She is truly the "Spirit of BG."
Thanks for your hard work, Krista!
- July - Jenn Buening, Academic & Career Counseling - BGSU Firelands
- August - Jason Graven, Nontraditional and Military Student Services
- September - Meredith Errington, Information Technology Services
- October - Lori Fox, Nontraditional and Military Student Services
- November - Will O'Leary, Intercollegiate Athletics
- December - Krista Westrick-Payne, Sociology/National Center for Family & Marriage Research
- September - Harley King, BGSU Athletics
- October - Laura Barned, Student Success and Life Design
- November - Victoria Kontos, Admissions - BGSU Firelands
- December - Becky Cogswell, Registration and Records
- January - Kristin Payne, Thompson Scholarship Programs
- February - Danielle Parker, University Advancement
- March - Erica Mills, Admissions
- May - Bob Kline, Sudent Success and Life Design
- June - Brandi Barhite, Office of Admissions
- August - Paul Valdez, Center of Public Impact
- September - Kim Brooks, Undergraduate Education
- October - Michael Leopardo, Intercollegiate Athletics
- November - Claire Hoover, College of Education
- December - Kristi Peiffer, Campus Construction
- January - Michael Laurello, College of Musical Arts
- September – Jamie Wlosowicz, Center for Women and Gender Equity
- October – Julie Hamann, Firelands Instructional Media
- November – Karyn Smith, Recreation and Wellness
- December – Holly Cipriani, College Credit Plus Program
- January – Chad Fletcher, Information Technology Services
- February – Toni Gordon, Diversity and Belonging
Any current full-time or part-time administrative staff member who is employed at BGSU or Firelands is eligible for the award.
The Administrative Staff Council wants to recognize, on a monthly basis, administrative staff employees who are caught showing "The Spirit of BG" as defined by any of the core values of BGSU. The Core Values to which the University adheres include:
- Intellectual and personal growth
- Creativity, innovation and entrepreneurism
- Diversity and inclusion
- Collaboration with each other and our partners
- Excellence in all we do
Presentation and Selection Information
Awards are given monthly during the academic year and consist of a check for $50, congratulations from colleagues and friends and a certificate of appreciation.
If you are a member of the University community (faculty, staff, student) you may nominate an administrative staff employee for "The Spirit of BG Award". Complete this nomination form, providing a short summary as to why you feel this person is deserving of this award.
Nominations must be received by 5 p.m. the last day of the month to be considered for that month's recognition. For example, nominate by August 31st for the August Spirit Award.
Updated: 01/12/2023 12:40PM