Resident Advisor (RA) | This position is a part-time paraprofessional staff member of the Office of Residence Life who lives in an assigned residence hall. The Resident Advisor is directly supervised by the Residence Hall Director and Graduate Hall Director. The Resident Advisor keeps the supervisor informed of activities, problems and needs of the residents and the community. The Resident Advisor gets to know residents and the larger residential community to build an engaged, safe and inclusive environment for academic success and personal growth. The Resident Advisor helps to establish and maintain open lines of communication between residents of the hall and the Office of Residence Life. This appointment is for one full academic year.
RA Job Duties
- Create positive, strong relationships (not just between themselves and their residents, but among all residents as well), provide resources, build community and engage residents through interactions.
- Establish a living-learning environment on the floor and within the hall through role modeling and involvement.
- Participate in development and advising of floor/hall activities, hall government and encourage students to become active participants.
- RAs are expected to work an additional 2 hours per week at their assigned residence hall’s front desk; these times may not overlap with duty shifts; overnight shifts/hours are permitted at the RAs assigned residence hall front desk. RAs can work up to 8 hours as a desk clerk.
- Build a community environment on the floor based on respect, which allows all residents to feel safe, comfortable and included.
- Perform all administrative tasks as defined by the Residence Hall Director. Administrative tasks include things such as: posting informational flyers on the floor, attending weekly one-on-one meetings, distributing and collecting surveys, completing weekly reports, assisting with Campus Preview Days and fulfilling the Falcon Success and Retention Curriculum requirements.
- Provide assistance to and give active support to all Living Learning Communities (e.g., Chapman Learning @ Kohl) and other academic and social success programs (e.g., SOAR, First-Year Student Success).
- Attend weekly staff meetings on Wednesdays from 7:30 - 9:00 p.m.
- Remain in the hall until the building is officially closed and/or return early to open during holidays and Breaks, as determined by the Residence Hall Director and/or the Office of Residence Life.
- Understand, explain, enforce and support all Office of Residence Life and University policies and procedures.
- Maintain a standard of personal conduct commensurate with responsibilities. The Resident Advisor is expected to set an example both in knowing and abiding by all applicable laws and University policies.
- Respond to student concerns and crisis situations on an on-call rotational basis.
- Create bulletin boards and door decorations as directed by the Residence Hall Director.
- Attend and actively participate in the Fall RA Training (August) and the Spring RA Training (January).
- Complete all RA staff development requirements as defined by the Office of Residence Life.
- Participate in selection activities for the RA position (i.e. Information Sessions & Interviews) for 5-7 hours.
- RAs must adhere to and enforce all COVID-19 procedures, guidelines, and policies.
- RAs may be asked to assist with COVID-19 response, which could include, but not limited to meal delivery, contact tracing, etc.
- RAs may be required to be tested for COVID-19.
Application Process for 2022-2023 Academic School Year
|Monday, January 10 - Friday, January 21||Accepting Applications*|
|Monday, January 10 - Friday, January 21||(Current Staff Only) Intent to Return form|
|Monday, January 24 - Frirday, January 28||Interviews with Residence Life Staff|
* The day of, this will become a hyperlink to the application.
Information Sessions & Interview Workshops
|January 12, 2022 at 5:00 pm||Math Science Building, Room 240||Apps and Wraps|
|January 18, 2022 at 1:00 pm||Math Science Building, Room 240||Apps and Wraps|
|January 20, 2022 @ 7:00 pm||Kuhlin Center, Room 206||Apps and Wraps|
Residence Life Student Staff Informational Sessions
Other Residence Life Student Positions
Updated: 01/14/2022 09:46AM