Resident Advisor (RA) | This position is a part-time paraprofessional staff member of the Office of Residence Life who lives in an assigned residence hall. The Resident Advisor is directly supervised by the Residence Hall Director and Graduate Hall Director. The Resident Advisor keeps the supervisor informed of activities, problems and needs of the residents and the community. The Resident Advisor gets to know residents and the larger residential community to build an engaged, safe and inclusive environment for academic success and personal growth. The Resident Advisor helps to establish and maintain open lines of communication between residents of the hall and the Office of Residence Life. This appointment is for one full academic year.
RA Job Duties
- Create positive, strong relationships (not just between themselves and their residents, but among all residents as well), provide resources, build community and engage residents through interactions.
- Establish a living-learning environment on the floor and within the hall through role modeling and involvement.
- Participate in development and advising of floor/hall activities, hall government and encourage students to become active participants.
- Build a community environment on the floor based on respect, which allows all residents to feel safe, comfortable and included.
- Perform all administrative tasks as defined by the Residence Hall Director. Administrative tasks include things such as: posting informational flyers on the floor, attending weekly one-on-one meetings, distributing and collecting surveys, completing weekly reports, assisting with Campus Preview Days and fulfilling the Falcon Success and Retention Curriculum requirements.
- Provide assistance to and give active support to all Living Learning Communities (e.g., Chapman Learning @ Kohl) and other academic and social success programs (e.g., SOAR, First-Year Student Success).
- Attend weekly staff meetings on Wednesdays from 7:30 - 9:00 p.m.
- Remain in the hall until the building is officially closed and/or return early to open during holidays and Breaks, as determined by the Residence Hall Director and/or the Office of Residence Life.
- Understand, explain, enforce and support all Office of Residence Life and University policies and procedures.
- Maintain a standard of personal conduct commensurate with responsibilities. The Resident Advisor is expected to set an example both in knowing and abiding by all applicable laws and University policies.
- Respond to student concerns and crisis situations on an on-call rotational basis.
- Create bulletin boards and door decorations as directed by the Residence Hall Director.
- Attend and actively participate in the Fall RA Training (August) and the Spring RA Training (January).
- Complete all RA staff development requirements as defined by the Office of Residence Life.
- Participate in selection activities for the RA position (i.e. Information Sessions & Interviews) for 5-7 hours.
- RAs must adhere to and enforce all COVID-19 procedures, guidelines, and policies.
- RAs may be asked to assist with COVID-19 response, which could include, but not limited to meal delivery, contact tracing, etc.
- RAs may be required to be tested for COVID-19.
Application Process 2021-2022 Academic School Year
|January 11 - January 22||Accepting Applications|
|January 11 - January 22||(Current Staff Only) Intent to Return form|
|January 26 - January 29||Interviews with Professional and Graduate Staff|
|February 3||Interviews with current student staff (Peer Interviews)|
|February 15||Notification letters will be sent to candidates|
Virtual Information & Resume Building Sessions
|January 12 at 10 am||Virtual Information Session - Join Zoom Session|
|January 13 at 4 pm||Virtual Information Session - Join Zoom Session|
|January 14 at 11am||Virtual Information Session - Join Zoom Session|
|January 14 at 3pm||Virtual Information Session - Join Zoom Session|
|January 15 at 2pm||Virtual Information Session - Join Zoom Session|
|January 17 at 4pm||Virtual Information Session - Join Zoom Session|
|January 18 at 12pm||Virtual Information Session - Join Zoom Session|
|January 21 at 10:30am||Virtual Information Session - Join Zoom Session|
|January 21 at 12:15pm||Resume Review Workshop - Join Zoom Session|
Other Residence Life Student Positions