Desk Clerk (DC) | This is an undergraduate position that assists the Residence Hall Staff in the daily operation of a Residence Hall. The DC works under the supervision of the Student Desk Manager (SDM) and performs a variety of clerical tasks, general operational services for residents and visitors, and a variety of safety tasks. DCs may be asked to work a variety of hours to accommodate the coverage needs of the Residence Hall. Principle responsibilities include clerical tasks, operational services, safety tasks and general functional area responsibilities.
DC Job Duties
- Answers telephone, screens calls and takes detailed messages
- Serves as residence hall office receptionist; greets residents and visitors, responds to general questions regarding the operation of the residence hall and responds to general requests for information and assistance
- Refers residents’ and visitors’ concerns/issues to the residence hall supervisor
- Makes announcements using the residence hall public address system as requested/needed
- Maintains and updates paper records and paperwork associated with the daily operation of the residence hall office
- Be aware of and monitor the residence hall’s emergency systems & procedures
- Receives, sorts, distributes and forwards incoming mail and packages
- Sorts, bundles and forwards outgoing mail
- Issues and records the use and return of lock-out keys, PEDs/Prox cards and hall equipment
- Reports problems related to and/or requests repairs of vendor contracted equipment located within the residence hall (including, but not limited to, washing machines, clothes dryers, vending machines, photocopiers and video games)
- Assists residents and visitors in requesting cash refunds for money lost in vendor contracted equipment located in the residence hall
- Assists residents in reporting maintenance problems and requesting repairs
General Tasks, Functions and Responsibilities
- Completes a Duty Log for each shift worked when applicable
- Performs general clerical and safety tasks
- Performs general operational services
- Attends scheduled Desk Clerk staff meetings, as assigned by the Student Desk Manager
- Maintains a clean working environment for the public to see at all times
- Performs other related duties as assigned by the Hall Leadership Team
Safety Tasks (Midnight - 8 a.m.)
- Greets residents and visitors, responds to general questions regarding the operation of the residence hall and responds to general requests for information and assistance.
- Verifies the identity of residents and guests entering the residence hall and signs them in.
- Admits only residents of the hall and their escorted guests.
- Checks residence hall exterior doors throughout the shift and un-props or locks doors as needed.
- Performs periodic rounds throughout the residence hall to observe, report and deter violations of the law, University policies and residence hall policies.
- Confronts violations of the residence hall quiet hours policy.
- Directs un-escorted non-residents from the building.
- Informs the residence hall staff on duty of all violations of the law, University policies and residence hall policies.
- Refers residents’ and visitors’ concerns/issues to the residence hall supervisor.
- Maintains and updates paper records and all paperwork associated with the daily operation of the residence hall office.
- Monitors the residence hall’s emergency system(s), including security cameras.
- Assists the residence hall staff in responding to residence hall emergencies.
Please note: Desk Clerks working between the hours of 12 a.m. and 8 a.m. must be at least 18 years old.
The Office of Residence Life is always looking for qualified applicants to apply to be a Desk Clerk. This doesn't mean there is always an immediate position to fill. Because of the fluctuating demand for this position, we pull applications in our system when a position opens on an on-going basis.
|Step 1||Apply Now | After you apply, your application will be checked for eligibility. If you meet the position requirements, your application will become Active.|
|Step 2||If your application is Active, it will remain on file for 5 months and you will be contacted for an interview if a position opens that meets your qualifications.|
|Step 3||If you are not contacted for an interview within 5 months, please re-apply. Just because you weren't contacted doesn't mean we won't want to hire you in the future.|