Thank you for your interest in graduate studies in Biology at Bowling Green State University!
Most of the information that you will need about our graduate programs and the application process can be found on our website. Below are some guidelines and helpful links. If you have specific questions, please feel free to contact the Graduate Secretary or Graduate Coordinator.
- Request information about Graduate Programs
- General Admission Guidelines
- Application Deadlines
- Application Process
- Online Application to Graduate College
The Department of Biological Sciences does not and will not tell students their potential chances of being admitted or receiving assistantship funding until all credentials have been received. Admission decisions are based on multiple factors including: undergraduate major/minor, GRE and TOEFL scores, GPA in undergraduate major and overall GPA, letters of recommendation, statement of research interest, availability of faculty advisor, etc. Admission decisions are not made until all credentials have been received.
Prerequisites for the graduate program include completion of a baccalaureate degree, typically in one of the biological sciences.
Applicants to the Ph.D. program must have or will have completed a M.S. or M.A. prior to the start of the Ph.D. program, preferably in Biology or a related field. A separate application to the Ph.D. program must be made by all students completing a master's degree, even if the degree is from Bowling Green State University.
All applicants are strongly encouraged to visit the faculty websites, identify one or more faculty members in their area of interest, and contact them in order to make sure they are accepting students and would be willing to serve as an advisor BEFORE applying to the program.
Admission and funding decisions are made competitively.
Fall Applications: Applications received by February 1 will be given priority in admission and funding. Decisions about assistantships are usually finalized by June 1. Applications must be complete by June 30 for admission for Fall semester.
Spring Applications: Applications for Spring semester are discouraged because students cannot take courses in the preferred sequence and funding is not available (except in unusual circumstances). Applications must be complete by November 30 for admission for Spring semester.
Summer Applications: The Biology Department does not accept new students in the Summer semester.
Complete the online application. Please be sure to:
- Contact potential advisors to find three faculty you are interested in working with prior to applying. During the online application process you will be asked to identify three faculty that you might be interested in working with for your graduate degree.
- Complete the online application and indicate whether you wish to be considered for a graduate assistantship. Any questions on assistantships should be emailed to the Graduate Coordinator.
- Upload a copy of your transcripts from all institutions attended to BGSU Office of Graduate Admissions. Upload a copy of an official or unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended. Upon admission, final official transcripts from each degree granting institution must be submitted.
- Request that your ETS using school send official copies of GRE scores to school code 1069. BGSU accepts self-reported test scores and copies of transcripts to expedite the application process. However, BGSU does not accept degree audits. Only test scores received within the last five years are acceptable.
- Upload your research statement containing your motivations for attending graduate school, your specific area of interest and your future aspirations following your graduate degree completion. Make sure you identify the faculty that you would like to work with for your graduate degree.
- Provide contact information for three academic letters of recommendation. List three persons acquainted with your academic experiences and their contact information.
- BGSU will then solicit a letter of recommendation from your references, which can be uploaded directly to the website.
- Fufill the application requirements specified on the Graduate College website.
INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS: In addition to the above requirements, please:
- Send a copy of your most recent TOEFL score electronically from ETS using school code 1069. Only test scores received within the last two years are acceptable.
- Fulfill the requirements for admission as specified on the International Students website.
Online Application to the Graduate College
Applying to The Graduate College is easy and convenient with our online application. Your application information will be instantly available within our system. Once you click on "Submit," your application materials will be reviewed by the Graduate College -- no envelopes or stamps necessary! Access the online Graduate application. You will also need to send all of the supporting documents to the Graduate College including: GRE scores, Official Transcripts, TOEFL scores (for International Students).
Access the Graduate College homepage to find information on admissions, sponsored programs and research and academic resources. Plus, you can access the Graduate Catalog for information on all of the master's and doctoral programs offered at BGSU.