MA in English (online programs)
The MA in English online programs function as professional or self-designed MA in English degrees. These degrees are primarily for students who intend the MA to be the terminal degree in preparation for a career such as high school or middle school English teaching, two-year college teaching, freelance or professional writing, or editing and publishing. Three tracks of the MA in English are available fully online.
For more information about a specific program, click the button below:
MA in English, specialization in English Teaching For those involved in or preparing for high school English teaching, middle school English teaching, AP teaching, two-year college teaching, or dual-enrollment programs (such as Ohio's College Credit Plus program, among others).
MA in English, specialization in Professional Writing and Rhetoric For those interested in professional/technical writing careers in business and industry, or those interested in teaching professional writing and rhetoric at two-year colleges.
MA in English, individualized track A flexible, student-organized degree track for those interested in a general Master of Arts in English.
Course Rotation Learn more about the course rotation for the online MA programs.
Features of our MA in English online programs:
- Earn your entire degree online in a program designed to be taught and learned online.
- Specialize in your areas of interest with faculty who are expert teachers and experts in their fields.
- Our programs are perfect for distance learners from anywhere on the globe. (For local students, some courses can be taken face-to-face if the student chooses.)
- Move at your own pace through your degree program; most students take one or two courses per semester, but up to three per semester is manageable.
- Learn during your available time; courses don’t meet at a specific time of day or on specific days during the week, so they're perfect for those currently working or with otherwise busy schedules.
INTERESTED IN ANY OF OUR PROGRAMS? APPLY NOW
The Department also offers graduate certificate programs in College Writing: Theory and Practice (online), Technical Writing (online), and Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) (offered face-to-face), A student can earn such a certificate alongside the MA degree.
For students interested in an MA degree with a thesis project, see the MA in Literary and Textual Studies, a face-to-face degree program designed for those interested in literary and textual studies, teaching, possible PhD programs, digital humanities, etc.