Graduate Application Instructions
Master’s, Doctoral and Certificate Program Applications
Applicants must have graduated with a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university or complete the degree prior to enrollment. Students are advised to apply at least six months in advance for admission. International students should allow more time for the application process. All credentials submitted to BGSU become the property of BGSU and will not be released. The application for admission to the Graduate College should be submitted along with:
- $45 nonrefundable application fee for domestic applicants; $75 for international applicants. The application fee is automatically waived for McNair Scholars, U.S. Military Veterans, returned Peace Corps Volunteers, and K-12 public school teachers currently employed in the U.S.
- Scanned copies of official or unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended. Upon admission, final official or notarized copies of transcripts from all institutions where degrees were earned (showing dates when the degrees were conferred) and diplomas from international institutions must be submitted. Evaluations by a NACES organization are accepted. Note: For current or previous BGSU students, you do not need to request a BGSU transcript, it will be obtained for you.
- Standardized test scores (GRE, GMAT, PRAXIS, OAE) may be required. Please visit the program website for additional information.
BGSU is temporarily waiving the GRE and GMAT requirements for all applicants to any of the University’s graduate certificate and master’s degree programs through Fall 2022.
- Programs may also require recommendations, a statement of purpose, a resume, and other documents. Please visit the program website for additional information.
- International applicants are required to submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), the International English Language Testing System (IELTS), or the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTEA). Successful completion of ELS 112 will also be accepted for this requirement. Additionally, Duolingo test scores will be accepted for applications through Spring 2023. Please see exceptions below.*
- If you plan to apply to more than one program, you must submit a separate application and application fee for each.
Official transcripts and test scores are to be sent to:
200 University Hall
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH 43403
Graduate Non-Degree-seeking student
A Graduate Non-Degree student is defined as a student who has earned a 4-year degree and who wishes to enroll in graduate or undergraduate-level courses without pursuing another degree. There is no application fee. The student is not limited to the number of credit hours taken at BGSU; however, only 9 graduate credit hours will transfer to a graduate degree program.
When submitting a Graduate Non-Degree application, please allow 4 business days for processing. Confirmation will be sent to your email address once the application has been processed. Applicants who have indicated a felony conviction will be notified within 1 business day of any additional information that may be required. Apply to be a Graduate Non-Degree Seeking student.
For information on the GRE/GMAT/PRAXIS/TOEFL tests, visit the Educational Testing Service website. The Graduate College does not require specific minimum Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores for acceptance into graduate programs. However, individual programs that require the GRE often set their own minimum scores. Graduate programs that require the GRE utilize the test results as one indicator of the potential for success in graduate studies. Graduate program applicants should therefore approach the prospect of taking the GRE seriously, knowing that their scores will be considered for admission. In order to send test scores directly to BGSU, please use the following code: 1069.
If you are currently a BGSU undergraduate student and are interested, see the Accelerated Bachelor's to Master's Program.
International applicants: Upon admission to the university you will receive further enrollment information from International Student Services.
Note: All of the credentials listed above must be official documents in the English language. Official documents are either the original documents, notarized copies, or official English translations with the official seal or stamp of the notary or the English translator on each document. Photocopies or documents “Issued to Student” are not acceptable.
Antigua and Barbuda
Canada (Except Quebec)
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Vincent and the Grenadine
Trinidad and Tobago
Turks and Caico Isle