Master of Science in Forensic Science
Why a Master's Degree in Forensic Science?
The field of forensic science continues to advance at a rapid pace. Professionals who desire to continue or pursue a career in the field are expected to be informed about the latest trends in order to advance in their current positions or explore new career opportunities.
The master’s degree in Forensic Science (MSFS) program refreshes, solidifies and upgrades the undergraduate and current practitioner knowledge base, allowing students to prepare for new challenges they will encounter in their professional careers. As a result, graduates of the program will be equipped with up-to-date knowledge and skills in forensic biology and forensic chemistry, creating opportunities to become sought-after leaders in their profession.
Why the MSFS at Bowling Green State University?
A new world-class Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI) crime laboratory and investigations facility is located on BGSU’s main campus. Consequently, our students have the opportunity to collaborate with real-world practitioners, providing invaluable professional preparation.
Specializations are offered in Forensic Biology and Forensic Chemistry for students with strong science backgrounds who desire to work in a lab.
Program Strength and Uniqueness
• Unique partnership with Ohio BCI on-campus crime lab and investigation facility
• Crime houses provide the ability to demonstrate real world crime scenes on campus
• Opportunities to learn from both faculty and accomplished forensic and CSI professionals in solving authentic crime scenarios
• Students learn the current knowledge and skills coveted by employers across the country and around the world
• Specializations are available in Forensic Biology and Forensic Chemistry
Graduates of the program will be prepared to assume positions in both the public sector in government agencies and in private organizations as forensic scientists. Active forensic science practitioners will develop new skills in order to increase the professional knowledge and leadership capabilities necessary to keep up with the ever-changing methods and technologies of this dynamic, multidisciplinary profession.