Internships and Careers
Our students are known to go far as animators, modelers, texture or concept artists, and technical directors in 3D animation studios, interactive gaming companies and virtual reality labs, or work in the interactive web and app development field creating educational, entertainment-based and commercial mobile apps and websites.
Our graduates have been hired by companies such as Dreamworks Animation (Shrek and Kung Fu Panda), Blue Sky Studios (Ice Age and Robots), Blizzard (World of Warcraft), and Friendly Software (Microsoft games).
Average Starting Salary & BGSU Placement Rate
$45,184* — Digital Arts graduates average starting salary according to the National Association of Colleges and Employers
85% of Digital Arts graduates report they're employed, in graduate school or starting a business within six months of graduation
Go Far in your career
- Technical Directors
- Concept Artists
Prospective students are not required to take a portfolio review. Admission into the Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree is selective, and if students opt to pursue this degree they will be required to pass a portfolio review at the end of the first year of study in the School of Art.
Upon completion of the baccalaureate degree, students in art are expected to:
- Demonstrate basic technical abilities within studio media and/or scholarly abilities within art;
- Engage in and apply scholarly and/or creative research in visual, written, and oral context;
- Apply knowledge of art history, criticism, and theory to chosen field of study;
- Demonstrate the ability to contextualize art experience within chosen field of study.
The Bachelor of Arts in Art specialization in Studio requires completion of three First Year Program courses, three 2000-level Studio courses, and four 3000- and 4000-level Studio courses. The specialization in Digital Arts requires completion of the three art foundation courses, ARTC 2210, and five Digital Arts courses at the 3000 and 4000 level (with at least one being at the 4000 level). All BA students in a studio-based specialization must take four courses in Art History, the BA capstone class, necessary elective hours from within the School of Art and/or the College of Arts and Sciences, and must complete a minor (usually 21 hours).
Bowling Green State University [BGSU] is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. BGSU has been accredited by the Higher Learning Commission since 01/01/1916. The most recent reaffirmation of accreditation was received in 2012 - 2013. Questions should be directed to the Office of Institutional Effectiveness.
The Art program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art and Design NASAD) and is in good standing.
Bowling Green State University programs leading to licensure, certification and/or endorsement, whether delivered online, face-to-face or in a blended format, satisfy the academic requirements for those credentials set forth by the State of Ohio.
Requirements for licensure, certification and/or endorsement eligibility vary greatly from one profession to another and from state to state. The Art program does not lead to professional licensure.
Under the Higher Education Act Title IV disclosure requirements, an institution must provide current and prospective students with information about each of its programs that prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation.
The Art program is not a recognized occupation that requires a Gainful Employment disclosure.
Specializations for Art:
- Art History
- Digital Arts
Specializations for Fine Art:
- Digital Arts
- Graphic Design
* Job placement and salary information was compiled by the Office of Academic Assessment through the Graduation Survey from AY2015-2018. The data are gathered around the time of Commencement and a follow-up survey six months post Commencement. For the salary question, data for programs with fewer than fifteen responses are not included. Salaries for those programs are from the National Association of Colleges and Employers Summer 2019 Survey. For questions regarding the data, contact email@example.com.