Events & Programs
Domestic Violence Awareness Month
Every October CVPE participates in Domestic Awareness Month with extensive programming and awareness activities to educate the BGSU Community and raise awareness about dating/domestic violence.
Empty Place at the Table - Sept. 29 to Oct. 29
The CVPE presents this event to honor and recognize women and children in northwest Ohio who have had their lives taken due to domestic violence. This project began in 1993 in Lackawanna County, Pennsylvania, and the display demonstrates the way domestic violence devastates a community and family. These victims of violence will not be forgotten. All stories have been provided by the Bethany House in Toledo. The exhibit will be on display Sept. 29 to Oct. 29 in BGSU dining halls.
Red Flag Campaign - Oct. 18-22
The Red Flag Campaign encourages students to practice Green Dot bystander intervention when they see warning signs, or “red flags,” of unhealthy relationships. There will be 629 red flags on display representing the number of reported acts of dating/domestic violence in Wood County in 2019.
Clothesline Project - Oct. 20
In partnership with The Cocoon, the CVPE will display T-shirts from an ongoing collection that victims/survivors have created to voice their experience with sexual assault. Join us all day on Oct. 20 on the main campus in the Union Oval and the following week at the Firelands campus to read through the experiences that members of the BGSU and local community have faced.
Silent Witness Project - Oct. 26
The Silent Witness Project memorializes people killed in acts of domestic violence. In the past decade, 48 such murders have occurred in northwest Ohio. During the Unveiling Ceremony on Oct. 4 at Lourdes University, life-size silhouettes were revealed one by one as an individual reader recounted the story of the girl or woman represented by that figure. The center will also host a display here at BGSU outside of Falcon Outfitters on Oct. 26.
Paint the Rock & Golf Cart Rides - Oct. 28
The BGSU Rock has been painted purple in recognition of Domestic Violence Awareness month, and our CVPE Student Ambassadors will be giving golf cart rides and sharing information on Oct. 28 in the afternoon.
The Center for Violence Prevention and Education seeks to foster a culture that prioritizes consent and respect and actively responds to survivors by supporting them and their allies. Additional resources and reporting options are listed below.
- BGSU Counseling Center 419.372.2081 (Confidential)
- BGSU Psychological Services Center: 419.372.2540 (Confidential)
- Wood County Hospital: 419.534.8900 (Confidential)
- Wood County Crisis Line – 419.502.4673 (Confidential)
- RAINN – National Hotline – 800.656.4673 (Confidential)
- Center for Violence Prevention and Education: 419.372.7227 (Non-Confidential)
- The Cocoon – 419.373.1730 (Confidential)
- A confidential advocate is located in 260 Hayes Hall (listed Office Assistants)
- Please note, these are current hours and are subject to change based on advocate availability
- Monday, Thursday and Friday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. and Wednesday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Office of Title IX: 419.372.8476 (Non-Confidential)
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline: 1-800-273-8255 (Confidential)
- The National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-7233 (SAFE) (Confidential)
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about our Domestic Violence Awareness Month programming or other future events.