Student Employment Handbook

Overview of Student Employment Services

More than 3,200 students work on campus at BGSU each year. For many of them, campus employment provides opportunities for development and practice of BGSU's core values: respect for one another, cooperation, intellectual and spiritual growth, creative imaginings, and pride in a job well done.

Campus employment is essential not only as a means of financial assistance and work skill development for students of BGSU, but also as a service necessary to the operation of the University. Student employees are an integral part of nearly all University operations, departments, and offices. BGSU recognizes all student employees as valuable human resources. For students, the experience of working on campus can be a significant factor in the preparation for future careers. Student employees are expected to learn skills in areas such as interpersonal communication, time management, and personal responsibility.

The University is committed to the professional growth and development of its student employees. As a supervisor of student employees, you have an opportunity and a responsibility to set an example for our students and for the students that follow. We hope that the information contained in this handbook will aid you in this important task.

Student Employment Services Goals

  • To provide a centralized source of employment information, assistance, training, and professional development to both students and employers;
  • To establish and administer student employment policies and procedures that advance the basic goals of the University;
  • To maintain student employee records in compliance with federal, state, and institutional regulation and policy;
  • To support the Payroll Office by assisting with payroll processing;
  •  To reaffirm the University's commitment to provide equal employment opportunities to all eligible BGSU students.

Message to Employers

If you employ BGSU students, you work in one of more than 170 offices and departments on campus that hire student employees. Student Employment Services policies and procedures are established to ensure compliance with federal, state, and institutional laws and regulations as well as payroll deadlines. Domestic student employees can work a maximum of 28 hours and International student employees can work a maximum of 20 hours. Employers and departments found to be in violation of established policies may lose their hiring privileges.

Student employment positions at BGSU are classified as Federal Work Study (FWS) and Regular Employment. Any eligible BGSU student may work at a job labeled as Regular Employment. Only students who qualify for and receive FWS eligibility as part of their financial aid package can be paid from FWS funds.

Regular Employment

Any BGSU student who meets enrollment requirements may work as a regular student employee. Departments hiring students for regular employment up to 28 hours per week are charged for 100 percent of the student's wages.

Federal Work Study (FWS)

Federal Work Study is a federally funded, need-based student aid program. Students must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), demonstrate financial need, and be offered Federal Work Study eligibility by BGSU's Office of Student Financial Aid in order to be considered for FWS positions. Students are notified of their eligibility in an award notification issued by Student Financial Aid. Federal student aid funds pay 75% of the student's wages while the employing department pays the remaining 25%. Students who tutor in the Family Literacy Program are the exception; they are paid with 100% FWS funds.

The information below summarizes the primary differences between Federal Work Study and Regular Employment:  

         Federal Work Study (FWS)    

  • Must demonstrate financial need by filing the FAFSA.
  • Federal government pays 75% of wages; employing department pays 25%.
  • FWS earnings can be excluded when determining eligibility for financial aid the following award year.
  • Increasing or decreasing FWS eligibility may affect current year award package.
  • Only FWS-eligible students can work in FWS jobs.
  • FWS students have an earnings limit listed on the award notification.
  • Must meet minimum half-time enrollment requirements:
    • 6 semester hours for undergraduates
    • 4 semester hours for graduate students

**FWS is not available during summer semester. 

Regular Employment    

  • Filing the FAFSA is not required.
  • Employing department pays 100% of wages.
  • Wages are considered when calculating need-based financial aid for the following award year (according to FAFSA instructions)
  • Regular Employment earnings do not affect current award year aid package.
  • Any student can apply for Regular Employment jobs.
  • Regular student employees do not have an   an earnings limitation. However, the number of hours worked may be limited by department funding levels and the student's eligibility for employment.
  • Must meet minimum half-time enrollment requirements when working fall or spring semesters.  During summer/winter sessions, enrollment not required IF:
    •  student was enrolled at least half time the previous semester, and 
    • there is evidence of planned (at least half-time) enrollment for the fall semester immediately following.       

Federal Work Study Funding

BGSU receives an annual allocation of FWS funds from the U.S. Department of Education. When hiring a student to be paid FWS funds, departments must contribute 25 percent of the FWS student employee's wages from their own budgets. FWS covers 75 percent of the wages paid to eligible student employees.

Eligibility for Federal Work Study

 To be paid as a student employee with FWS funds, the student must demonstrate financial need and receive an offer of FWS eligibility from Student Financial Aid. To qualify for the FWS funding, students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) online at A paper form is also available for download.

The student financial aid award notification lists aid sources, one of which may be FWS eligibility. If FWS is part of the student's package, an FWS earnings limit will be listed on the award notification. The FWS earnings limit represents the maximum gross wages the student can earn via FWS in an academic year. For most students, the FWS limit is up to approximately $2,400, depending on the student's eligibility and other aid, the FWS limit could be adjusted.

Hiring Federal Work Study Students

When hiring FWS students, you must consider the students' FWS eligibility limit, the students' hourly wage, and the number of FWS hours per week the students will be working.

Verify that the student is eligible for FWS. Eligible students receive award information from Student Financial Aid. FWS earnings limits may be viewed in their MyBGSU portal. You may also contact Student Financial Aid or Student Employment Services (SES) for verification. Upon hiring, the People Soft system will automatically code the student's record so that the student's wages are charged to the FWS budget and department budget appropriately.

Determine the number of hours the student can work, based on the student's FWS limit and the hourly wage. Once students' earnings exceed their FWS award limit, 100 percent of their wages will be charged to the department budget.  Note: If your department hires ONLY FWS-eligible students, and the policy is to discharge a student once his FWS eligibility is depleted, you should inform the student of your department policy before hiring and include a statement to the effect on the job posting request.

Employer's Frequently Asked Questions about Federal Work Study

How can I tell if a student is FWS eligible? Ask the student. Student Financial Aid sends each student applicant an award notification (letter or via MyBGSU). Student Financial Aid and Student Employment Services can also verify a student's FWS award limit. When entering the Ehire, a FWS notification appears.

Can a student's FWS eligibility change? Yes. Student financial aid eligibility and FWS can change during the academic year for a number of reasons. Students are notified by Student Financial Aid any time eligibility changes. Employers are NOT notified directly when eligibility changes. If a student runs out of FWS or loses eligibility, you will be notified that the student's status has been changed to regular employment, and 100 percent of their wages are charged to your department budget from that point forward.

Is there a tool to monitor FWS earnings? There is a page available inside the PeopleSoft CSS system allowing employers to monitor the Federal Work Study earnings for student employees within their department. This monitoring page will display the student’s offer and paid amounts for the aid year and the percentage of their FWS allocation used for all FWS funded jobs on campus.

To gain security access to this page, department representatives need to have access to the CSS system and request the user role equal of “BG_FA_FWS” via the PeopleSoft Security Request [On Campus Only].  See CSS Instructions for more information. Please limit the request to access this page to a Student Employment liaison and/or a Budget administrator per employing department.

A short training video has been created to assist requestors how to navigate through the informational page.  Once security form request(s) have been received and approved, new users will be sent the link to the video. Navigation to the page is CSS-Main Menu-BGSU Menu-Financial Aid-Inquire-FWS Earnings by Department.

What if a student's aid package does not include FWS? Depending on the student's situation, Student Financial Aid may be able to add FWS to the student's package by reducing Federal Subsidized Loan. Refer students to a counselor in Student Financial Aid for options regarding their financial aid package.

Is it possible to increase a student's FWS earnings limit? Yes, depending on the student's financial need, award package, and funding levels. If a student has remaining financial need, the FWS limit can be increased. In some cases, a student's loan eligibility can be converted to FWS eligibility at the student's request. In either case, students should consult a counselor in Student Financial Aid to request additional FWS and to discuss the implications of revising their aid package.

Can a student have more than one FWS job at a time? Yes, but total hours worked may not exceed 28 hours per week. Earnings from all jobs will count toward the student's FWS limit listed on the award notification.

Will students automatically be eligible again next year for FWS? Not automatically. Students must apply each year for student financial aid. Students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA as early as January 1st for the following academic year.

Does a student need to be enrolled to earn FWS funds? Yes. The minimum enrollment requirements for FWS eligibility are six credit hours for undergraduate students. If students drop below the minimum credit hour requirement, 100 percent of their earnings are charged to your department budget from the point that they became ineligible.

How can students find out how close they are to reaching their FWS limits? Students have the functionality to self-monitor FWS earnings via a page available inside their MyBGSU Student Center. It will display the students’ FWS earnings by both aid year and by calendar year. A calendar year FWS total is necessary to accurately report the taxable FWS earnings on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. These taxable FWS earnings are excluded from the calculation of eligibility for need-based financial aid in the next academic year.

Access this page via the Student Center. Within the Financial section, click on Financial Aid Status. The page is listed within a drop down menu in the “other financial” box, titled “View Student FWS Earn”. Highlight this title and click on the double arrows to access this new earnings page. If the student has or had multiple jobs, the page will not display each one separately but rather displays the total earnings. The “Offer Amount” is the students’ FWS award and the “Paid Amount” is their total earnings.


Predominantly students are paid on an hourly basis. Students in this category are paid bi-weekly. They will use a Web Clock to record time worked. The Web Clock is accessed via the MyBGSU Portal, located under the heading "Time and Labor Employee". Supervisors will approve time worked on a weekly basis.

Students may be paid via FWS or Regular. Hourly base rate must meet or exceed the Ohio minimum wage. Base rates for each position are set on the job description and are on file in SES.

Bi-Weekly Compensation

A Bi-Weekly Compensation is an employment arrangement for a specified amount of time earning a specified salary instead of an hourly wage. Such jobs are generally utilized in hiring students to perform research, teach, work as resident advisors, or perform creative work. Students in this category are paid bi-weekly. Like all Regular Employment positions, the department is charged for 100% of the students' wages.  Payment must average out to an amount that meets or exceeds the Ohio minimum wage. According to Federal Work Study regulations, departments cannot use FWS funds to pay undergraduate students on a Bi-Weekly Compensation.

Student hours worked must be recorded on a paper timesheet each week (Sunday through Saturday). This timesheet must be signed by the student and retained in the department for 3 years past the student’s termination.


Commission employment arrangements are for a specified period of time. Earnings are submitted by the department on a per assignment basis. Such jobs are generally utilized in hiring students for creative work, ad sales or event based. Students in this category are paid upon submission of the Commission Addendum form by the department. Disbursement will follow the bi-weekly pay schedule. Like all Regular Employment positions, the department is charged for 100% of the students' wages.  Payment must average out to an amount that meets or exceeds the Ohio minimum wage. According to Federal Work Study regulations, departments cannot use FWS funds to pay undergraduate students on Commission.

Student hours worked must be recorded on a paper timesheet each week (Sunday through Saturday). This timesheet must be signed by the student and retained in the department for 3 years past the student’s termination.

On-Campus Co-ops and Internships

Co-operative education (Co-op) and internship experiences are available to students working on and off campus. The Kuhlin Hub for Career Design and Connections and the College of Technology Co-op Office staff assist in the arrangement of co-ops and internships. Students can use their Federal Work Study eligibility to work at an on-campus co-op or internship as long as they meet other enrollment and eligibility requirements.

The Ohio Constitution Article II.34a stipulates that the state minimum wage will be increased on the 30th day of September each year, to be effective the following 1st day of January, and this increased rate will be based on “the rate of inflation for the twelve month period prior to that September according to the consumer price index… for all items as calculated by the federal government rounded to the nearest five cents.”

On or after September 30, notification will be sent to the BGSU community of any minimum wage update to go into effect on January 1, via Campus Update. Student Employment Services will send corresponding wage update guidance to all on-campus employers by email.


The campus employment program is intended to provide part-time and seasonal employment for individuals whose primary purpose is to attend classes in pursuit of a degree or certificate at BGSU. However, guest students can can work on campus as long as they continue to meet enrollment requirements listed in the table below. Student employment positions are available ONLY to students who meet minimum enrollment requirements. Minimum enrollment to be considered a half-time student is six credit hours for undergraduate students and four credit hours for graduate students. For exceptions, see explanation immediately following the table below.

**To be eligible for student employment, full time enrollment is required for International Students during their first semester at BGSU Fall, Spring OR Summer semester.

Student Classification                       Fall and Spring Semesters               Summer and Winter Sessions

Continuing BGSU Student                        Must meet minimum.                                Not required for Regular Employment.

Guest Student*                                        Must meet minimum                                 Must meet minimum

During summer and winter: A continuing BGSU student seeking Regular Employment must be enrolled at least half time (undergraduate (6), graduate (4) credit hours) during the summer/winter sessions or have been enrolled at the University for at least six undergraduate (or four graduate credit hours) during the preceding semester and must be registered for the subsequent semester. Summer session enrollment is calculated by adding the total credit hours enrolled for all summer sessions during the same summer.

*Dual-enrolled students (College Credit Plus - CCP) are not eligible for campus employment.

A student can be exempted from the minimum enrollment requirements under the following circumstances:

  1. The student is in their final semester of classes, resulting in the completion of a degree or certificate at BGSU. To continue working on the student payroll when not enrolled for the minimum number of credits, the student must 1) have applied for graduation, and 2) provide Student Employment Services with documentation from the advisor or college office to confirm that by completing their current courses they will complete all their degree requirements. The student will be allowed one "below hours" semester to work as a student employee.
  2. The student is participating in a co-operative education experience, and is registered for TECH 2890, 3890, or 4890, or COOP 50.
  3. The student is participating in a for-credit internship that is a part of the student's official academic program, and provides documentation to Student Employment Services.
  4. New students (freshmen, transfers, and graduate students) may work as student employees during the term  immediately preceding their anticipated enrollment as long as 1) they are admitted to a degree seeking program for the next semester, and 2) the student has registered, or fully intends to register for at least the minimum requirements, and 3) they are paid as Regular student employees. Students not admitted to a degree seeking program cannot begin working until the semester (for which they enroll) begins.

For budgeting and scheduling purposes, you should keep track of each student's monthly earnings.

Student - Athlete Restrictions

NCAA legislation permits a Division I student-athlete to earn employment income on or off-campus during fall or spring semesters, providing that all student-athletes submit a Student-Athlete Employment form disclosing any jobs they may have on or off-campus. To be eligible, the job must be legitimate employment in which they are paid a fair wage and they are given no extra benefits because they are athletes. The student-athletes are responsible for updating this form when their employment changes. For additional information, contact the Assistant Athletic Director for Compliance at (419) 372-7844.

International Student Restrictions

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) limits international students with F-1 and J-1 visas to 20 hours of work per week while school is in session. During summer and winter break, students with F-1 and J-1 visas  may work up to 28 hours per week. PLEASE NOTE: **Full time enrollment (12 credit hours undergraduate/8 credits graduate) is required for International Students during their first semester at BGSU - Fall, Spring OR Summer semester. This limit has been set by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, not BGSU or International Program & Partnerships, and is not negotiable. It is the responsibility of the student to self-monitor their work schedule and schedule their work times within USCIS regulations. Student Employment Services monitors hours worked, and notifies the employer and International Student Services when a student exceeds program limits. Continued non-compliance can have serious consequences for the student. For specific eligibility information, contact International Student Services, or review the guidelines concerning Student Employment for International Students.

Applicants may not be hired for or promoted to positions in which they would supervise directly, indirectly (with one level between), or be subject to the immediate supervision by a member of their immediate family. This policy will be upheld regardless of the gender of the relatives involved or the classification or rank of the supervisor. Immediate family for student employment purposes is defined as spouse, children (whether dependent or not), siblings, parents, grandparents, any other person related by blood or by marriage and living in the same household, and legal guardian or other person who stands in place of a parent. For additional information regarding the state of Ohio restrictions on nepotism or hiring family members, refer to University Policies on the BGSU's General Counsel's webpage. 

Before a student drives a University-owned or leased vehicle, Risk Management must first approve the student's driving record for insurance purposes. If a student job description requires driving, employers should consult the University's Motor Vehicle Record Statement Form at the Risk Management's website. If a student's job description (such as a courier) does not require operation of an automobile, but the student chooses to drive their own vehicle to perform the duties, the student is NOT covered under the University's policy. "No reimbursement will be made for accident-related repairs, the vehicle owner will be responsible for personal deductible charges, and BGSU is not responsible for any increase in premium as a result of an accident"– from Use of Personal Vehicles, BGSU Risk Management website.

If University classes are canceled due to severe weather, student employees should check with their supervisor before reporting to work. If a student decides they cannot safely make it to work, they are not required to report. If the student is unable to make it to work (e.g., his vehicle will not start or roads are impassible), they should contact their supervisor as soon as possible. Each employer should establish a means of contacting students in the event the University is closed. Note: During severe weather, departments should NOT maintain separate attendance expectations for students based on where they live. For additional information regarding the University's severe weather policy, refer to University Policies on the BGSU's General Counsel's webpage.

The Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (Section 504) and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 provide that no otherwise qualified disabled individual shall receive unequal treatment or be discriminated against under any program or activity receiving federal financial assistance. This legislation applies to BGSU faculty, classified staff, administrative staff, and students. Questions regarding this legislation should be directed to the Office of Accessibility Services (419-372-8495) or Human Resources (419-372-8421).

Determining that an individual is disabled within the applicable federal or state law is only the first step to establishing whether he or she is protected under the law. Section 504 protects individuals who are "otherwise qualified." This means that a handicapped employee must be able to perform the "essential functions" of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.

If a student employee has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, has a record of such impairment, or is regarded as having such impairment, the student should contact the Office of Accessibility Services at 419-372-8495.

If a student employee is injured while performing employment related duties, the student may be eligible for medical care expenses and loss of pay benefits. You and the employee are obliged to observe the procedures listed on the Human Resources page if an accident occurs while working.  


The Hiring Process

Before a student can be hired into a particular position, a Job Description must be on file in the Job Posting Webapp with Student Employment Services (SES). If a job description is not already on file, the hiring department must create a new position. 

You should have security to the Job Posting Web App if you are a Time & Labor approver or have access to E-Hire. If not, you will need to request HCM Security Access to the Area:  Student Employment Services  Role:  BG_HR-EHIRE_DEPT.

Creating a New Position

To establish a new position, the department will submit a new Job Description to Student Employment Services (SES) through the Job Posting Webapp. The information provided on this form is used to establish the position as an acceptable position for the department, assign a Job Code and a Hiring Code for the position, and to document the base rate for the payroll system. Each new job description includes a short description of the job, the major job tasks, the skills required, a contact person, the wage to be paid, and departmental information.  SES will approve the job description within three business days. (Due to the volume of requests at the beginning of fall and spring semesters, it may take longer during peak processing times.)  SES keeps an original copy of all job descriptions for each department, as well as a "Job Index Listing," a master list of each department's job titles, classifications, base wage rates, and codes required for hiring or changing the student's status.

Determining Pay Rates

The hiring department recommends a pay rate for the job and indicates the pay rate on the Job Description in the Job Posting Webapp. Contact SES if you need recommendations for setting pay rates.

Revising Pay Rates

Departments are encouraged to review job descriptions and wage rates annually. To change the base rate for existing positions, submit a revised Job Description in the Job Posting Webapp.  Please note: when you change the base wage of a job, all students currently in that job are required to have their base rates changed.  Employers also have the option of changing individual students' wages through promotion, merit, or longevity increases.  Once changes are submitted to SES, every effort will be made to make the change effective for the next available pay period, or a future date specified by the employer.

Posting a Job Vacancy

All student employment position vacancies (with the exception of graduate assistantships and resident assistants) must be posted by SES for a minimum of two days in the Job Posting Webapp to ensure reasonable and equal access for all students to all on-campus student employment opportunities. Employers' failure to comply could result in charges of discriminatory hiring practices and liability assessed to themselves, their departments, and the University. In addition to mandatory posting at SES, you can also advertise or post job vacancies elsewhere, e.g., in your department office, student listproc, class announcements, or the BGNews.

To post a job vacancy:

  • A job description for the position must be on file at SES and not expired. (Each department liaison can view a list of all positions used in your department via the Job Posting Webapp.) If the job does not already exist or is expired, complete or update a Job Description in the Job Posting Webapp and submit it to SES.
  • Complete and submit a Job Posting to SES in the Job Posting Webapp. Make sure that the job title and base wage listed on the form appears exactly as it does on the department's Job Description from the Job Posting Webapp.
  • After verifying and approving the job posting, SES will post the job on Handshake. Every effort will be made to post your job vacancy within three business days. (Due to the volume of requests at the beginning of fall and spring semesters, it may take longer during peak processing times.)  
  • If the posting form is incomplete, SES will contact you along with the reason it cannot be processed (e.g., the base wage does not match the job description on file). Once all information is complete, the job vacancy will be posted.
  • Job vacancies are posted on Handshake for students to view by accessing their MyBGSU web portal.
  • Interested BGSU students will inquire about the vacancy by contacting the person listed or by following other instructions listed on the posting.
  • You may request that the job posting be deactivated, or "pulled" after the two-day minimum. Once you have selected a candidate, contact SES and request that the posting be deactivated. Removing the job posting prevents additional students from viewing a position that is no longer available. Unless notified, the posting will expire from Handshake on the requested posting end date. Employers have 30 days from the day a job vacancy is deactivated to hire a student into the position. After 30 days, the job must be re-posted.

Failure to follow the job posting procedure will delay the hiring (and payment) process. Repeated failure to follow the posting policies could jeopardize the department's ability to hire student employees.

Hiring the Student

Once you have made your hiring decision, offer the position to the selected candidate, and notify the other applicants (by telephone or e-mail) that you have filled the position.

Before the student may begin working, you must receive clearance from SES. The first step in this process for employers is to complete an E-hire. Instructions for completing E-hire are available here.

If students have not been paid from the student employment payroll before, they must be certified eligible to work in the United States by completing the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service's (USCIS) I-9 form, completing income tax withholding forms, SSA-1945, Direct Deposit and declaring whether or not they wish to participate in the Ohio Public Employees' Retirement System (OPERS). On boarding forms may not have to be completed again if a student is hired for multiple campus jobs. Payroll has the authority to change the student's OPERS status based on enrollment guidelines. Adjustments to tax withholding status or Direct Deposit may be made on the Employee Self-Service page on the MyBGSU web portal.

Employers should direct students to complete the onboarding forms described above at link. Completed forms and support documentation must be presented in person to SES in 225 Bowen-Thompson Student Union to complete this step of the clearance process. Please refer to link for an outline of the documents and requirements of the student.

Employment Eligibility Verification Form (I-9 Form): In accordance with the Department of Homeland Security and USCIS, all employees must present the appropriate documents for employment verification and completion of the I-9 process. While various pieces of identification are allowed, most students choose to present a passport OR a photo identification card AND one of the following, according to the instructions on the I-9 form: add the forms link

  •  Original or certified copy of birth certificate;
  •  Original Social Security card;
  • Alien registration card;
  • Certificate of citizenship or naturalization.

New Employee Forms
Employees new to the University must complete the following forms:

  •  Form I-9;
  • Student Employee Retirement Form - used to enroll or waive enrollment into the Ohio Public Employee Retirement System (OPERS)
  •  SSA-1945, Statement Concerning Your Employment in a Job Not Covered by Social Security;
  •  Direct Deposit;
  •  Acknowledgement of receipt of Auditor of State fraud-reporting system information;
  •  Form W-4 (federal tax withholding);
  •  Form IT-4 (state tax withholding); and

*Once the hire forms are completed and submitted, the student should take their required documents to the SES office, to complete the Form I-9 and hiring process.

Ohio Public Employee Retirement System (OPERS) and Medicare (FICA) Exemptions: To be exempted from paying into OPERS and Medicare, undergraduate student employees must maintain a minimum enrollment of at least six credit hours; graduate students must maintain a minimum enrollment of four graduate credits. If the student's enrollment drops below the required minimum number of hours, the student will no longer be exempt from paying into OPERS and Medicare, and the Payroll Office will begin deducting OPERS (10% of gross wages) and Medicare (1.45% of gross wages). The Payroll Office is responsible for monitoring enrollment for OPERS and Medicare, time submitted, and tax withholding status. Questions about student exemptions should be directed to the Payroll Accounting Office at 419-372-2201.

International Students require additional forms and documents for on-campus employment. For specific eligibility information, contact the International Student Services or review the guidelines concerning Student Employment for International Students .

Clearing the Student to Work

 Before the student will be "cleared" to work, SES must verify the student's eligibility. The clearing process involves confirming the accuracy of the student's EHire; completion of employment onboarding forms; and verifying the student's FWS eligibility (when applicable). Once the student has been cleared to work, SES notifies the employer via email.

Students are not eligible to work on campus until they are cleared to work.

 Listed below are several reasons why there could be a delay in processing a student for employment:

  • The job posting is beyond 30 days of deactivation. Thirty days should give the student and employer sufficient time to complete the hiring and onboarding process. After 30 days, the job must be re-posted before a student can be hired into the position.
  • The Job Code or Hire Code does not exist or is incorrect.
  •  The student does not have FWS eligibility and therefore cannot be hired into an FWS-funded job. (This item pertains to the employer's request to hire a student only if he has FWS eligibility.)
  • The student has not completed the required onboarding documents (U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service's (USCIS) I-9 form, federal and state income tax withholding forms, SSA-1945, Direct Deposit and declaring whether or not they wish to participate in the Ohio Public Employees' Retirement System (OPERS).
  • The EHire (Hourly or Bi-Weekly Compensation) is incomplete or has discrepancies.

Student hours are NOT to exceed 28 hours per week. Students should NOT be in the workplace training, shadowing, or working prior to being authorized (cleared) to work.

If students are injured at the job prior to the time they are authorized to begin working, they are not covered by Workers’ Compensation, and the injured person or their estate would be entitled to bring suit for all injuries and damages against the University and their supervisors who allowed them to commence work prior to being properly authorized to begin working.

The supervisors who allowed such work to begin would be considered to have acted outside the course and scope of their employment, not entitled to state employee immunity, and individually liable to suit by the injured person. Such supervisors would have to engage counsel at their own expense and be personally liable for any damages arising from any injuries. Such supervisors would also be subject to disciplinary action up to, and including, discharge for having violated University policies and State law regarding workers’ compensation. Office of BGSU General Counsel, 2011

After you have been notified that the student is cleared to work, SES will approve the student's job record in the payroll system. Depending on the volume of hiring activity, it could take 1 – 3 business days between being cleared to work and the creation of the student's job record in the payroll system. Creating the student's record sets up the necessary accounting information so the student's wages can be charged to the hiring department. Hourly employee timesheets should be accessible via Time and Labor the day after approval by SES.

Total hours worked per week during any time of year, whether or not school is in session, may NOT exceed 28 hours per week for ALL jobs combined. International students may not exceed 20 hours per week except during the summer/winter session and winter break periods. For more information or specific eligibility requirements, review the guidelines for Student Employment for International Students.

Consider the student's academic workload when preparing work schedules. Most student employees enrolled for 12 to 18 credit hours a semester are able to work between 10 and 15 hours a week without their jobs interfering with their academic course work and co-curricular activities. While employment can be a valuable part of a student's educational experience, it's important to remember that academic work is the student's first priority. Students should never be encouraged or required to miss classes or forgo assignments to work. FWS students are prohibited from working during scheduled class times (unless the class is cancelled).

For many students, their BGSU jobs may be their first formal job experience. One of the purposes of student employment is to teach students the skills necessary to succeed in the workforce. Providing adequate orientation, including clear and reasonable expectations for performance, training, and constant feedback about performance, is essential, and is the responsibility of the student's supervisor.

At minimum, employers should make sure that their student employees know the following:

  • The expectations of the quality and quantity of work;
  • The specific duties of the job as outlined in the job description;
  • The required hours of work as well as break periods;
  • The operational procedures and policies of your department;
  • The expected duration of the employment;
  • The beginning rate of pay and the potential for future increases;
  • Dress code or uniform requirements;
  • Procedures when a student is unable to work or requests to be excused from working a scheduled work shift;
  • Departmental policy for performance evaluation, promotion, and discipline;
  • Emergency and inclement weather policies;
  • Procedures for conflict resolution within your department.

Student Employment Services recommends that you allow a 15-minute paid work break for every four hours of continuous work. Students cannot substitute their breaks for the first or last 15 minutes of their work shift, nor may they accumulate breaks from one shift to the next. You are not required to provide students with an official paid meal break; however, departments may determine their own meal break policies as long as they are applied consistently to all student employees. Students who work an eight-hour shift should be encouraged to take a 30-minute meal/break period. Regardless of the department's break policy, students should be allowed paid restroom breaks as needed.


Reporting Time Worked Prior to Access to Time & Labor

When students are authorized to begin working, but do not yet have a timesheet in Time & Labor, they can record in punches and out punches on paper until an electronic timesheet is created. Then the employer can record time worked for the previous Sunday – Saturday period before signing off the following Monday morning. Employers should NOT modify timesheets by adding time that the student did NOT work in order to compensate for prior work performed.  If the student has hours to report for a time period that is not available in Time & Labor, the employee should contact the Payroll Accounting Office (419-372-2201) for further instructions.

Any timesheets used to record and enter time to Time & Labor must be retained by the department for 3 years following the student’s termination according to Department of Labor regulations. Payroll may contact the department for this documentation in the event of an audit or discrepancy.

Issuing Paychecks

 Paychecks are issued bi-weekly for all students paid via the BGSU payroll, according to the Student Employment Services Pay Schedule.

Direct Deposit

As part of the hiring process, student employees must enroll in direct deposit. Students complete a direct deposit form and provide information about their domestic financial institution of choice. Paychecks are deposited electronically into students' checking or savings accounts, according to their preference.

Students can access their paycheck details online via MyBGSU. Once activated, direct deposit remains in effect until the student initiates a change via MyBGSU or the student leaves the University.

Payroll Deduction
Students have the option of having all or a set amount of their paycheck transferred to their bursar account each payday. Students arrange for payroll deduction at the Office of the Bursar.

Special Payroll Circumstances and Issues


Total hours worked per week during any time of year, whether or not school is in session, may NOT exceed 28 hours per week (for ALL jobs combined), thereby discouraging overtime.

Requesting Student's Wages to Be Charged to a Different Budget

Complete an Hourly Change Form to charge a student's earnings to a different budget. List both the old and new budget information on the form. All changes will be effective on the first day of the designated period, provided the date has not already passed. If the requested effective date has passed, the change will be made effective on the next available pay period.

If a Student Does Not Receive a Paycheck

  • Verify that the student has been cleared to work by contacting SES. If the student was not authorized to begin working (for whatever reason), no paycheck will be created.

If a Student is Paid Incorrectly

  • Review pay schedule available link.
  • Review the submitted timesheet history in Time & Labor to determine if the hours were reported correctly. If the error is in the student's timesheet, contact the Payroll Office.
  • If the student's base pay is incorrect, contact SES (419-372-2865). SES will correct the student's record in the payroll system, based on the date of the original transaction.
  • Merit increases and promotions are not made retroactively. Employers are encouraged to submit requests for pay increases at least two weeks prior to the beginning of the pay period for which they are requested. Depending on the point in the payroll cycle when the adjustment was requested, a merit increase, promotion, or longevity is processed for the next available pay cycle.

  If a Student is Overpaid

  • The Payroll Office will process a one-time deduction if the job will end soon or initiate a series of payroll deductions if there are several months to correct the error.
  • The Payroll Office will contact the student prior to any adjustments or provide the student with a letter of explanation.

Evaluating the Student's Job Performance

Supervisors are recommended to evaluate each student's job performance at least once each year, preferably before the end of the spring semester. However, you or the student can request an evaluation of performance at any time. You should evaluate a student's performance if the department promotes or transfers the student into a new job or gives the student a merit increase.

Resolving Student Job Performance Issues

The key to handling job performance problems is to establish clear and concise job expectations and performance standards upon hiring. When a student employee is consistently tardy or absent or fails to perform specified tasks to your satisfaction, you have the right to terminate the student's employment. However, you must first attempt to discuss and settle the problem with the student. The student should be given the opportunity to improve performance. In many cases, an honest discussion focused on expectations for job performance followed by the creation of a plan for improvement will have positive results. In all instances, you should document the employee's behavior and the steps you have taken to resolve the situation.

If a student is not meeting expected performance standards, you are responsible for addressing your specific concerns with the student, initiating a conference, and recording the problem and results. Progressive discipline should be used where applicable, including verbal warning, written warning, and finally termination if the seriousness of the offense warrants it.

Implementing Pay Increases/Decreases

There are three ways students can earn an increase in their hourly wage: longevity, merit, and promotion.


(Note: Longevity increases are initiated by the employer). Employers have the option to create a department or unit policy regarding the awarding of a longevity increase. Longevity increases are appropriate to reward students for their continued and loyal service, and should be applied consistently to all student employees within the department or unit.

  • Longevity increases are position specific and remain in effect until termination.
  • Longevity increases are limited to once each semester per job. The summer sessions together are considered one semester.
  • The amount of the longevity increase is determined by the department and should be no less than $0.10.
  • Once a longevity increase is given to a student for a particular job, it cannot be revoked or reduced without approval by SES.
  • The longevity increase will go into effect with the pay period following SES' receipt of the recommendation, or a future date, as indicated on the Hourly Change form. Retroactive adjustments will not be processed without a detailed explanation from the employer.
  • Longevity increase recommendations must be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, or genetic information.


(Note: Merit increases are initiated by the employer.) You may award merit increases to students based on the quality of their work performance. Consider students for a merit raise if they have consistently demonstrated meritorious service, e.g. going beyond what is expected for their position. Employers complete an Hourly Change Form and submit it to SES to request a merit increase. The merit increase policy for student employees is as follows:

  • Merit increases are position specific and remain in effect until termination.
  • Merit increases are limited to once each semester per job. The summer sessions together are considered one semester.
  • The amount of the merit increase is determined by the department and should be no less than $0.10.
  • Once a merit increase is given to a student for a particular job, it cannot be revoked or reduced without approval by SES.
  • The merit increase will go into effect with the pay period following SES' receipt of the merit recommendation, or a future date, as indicated on the Hourly Change Form. Retroactive adjustments will not be processed without a detailed explanation from the employer.
  • Merit increase recommendations must be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age, disability, or genetic information.


If you promote a student to a higher paying job with more responsibility (or demote a student to a lower paying position), the student's pay rate change should reflect the base rate of the new position according to the Job Index. Promotions (and demotions) are not retroactive. To promote a current student employee to another position in your department, complete and submit an Hourly Change form; you do not have to post the job.

If you promote a student to a higher paying job with more responsibility (or demote a student to a lower paying position), the student's pay rate change should reflect the base rate of the new position according to the Job Index. Promotions (and demotions) are not retroactive. To promote a current student employee to another position in your department, complete and submit an Hourly Change form; you do not have to post the job.

Terminating a Student's Employment

A student's employment typically ends one of four ways: resignation with notice, resignation without notice, involuntary termination with notice, and involuntary termination without notice. Please note that terminations may take longer to process because they have lower priority than job postings and hire forms.

When a student's employment ends, you have the following options to communicate the job termination to SES:

  •  For students paid using a Bi-Weekly Compensation, use the manager dashboard to terminate the employee or they will continue to recieve automatic payments.
  •  For students paid on an hourly wage, use Manager Dashboard Quicklink; “terminate an employee”.
  •  Approve student’s final work shift in Time and Labor prior to the effective date of termination.
  • Termination effective date should be the first day following the last shift worked.


Student employees may terminate their employment at their own discretion. Reasons for a student's resignation include:

  •  Course work overload;
  •  Class scheduling conflicts;
  •  Better job opportunity;
  •  Co-op or internship opportunity;
  •  Graduation;
  •  Conflict with supervisor or co-workers;
  •  Personal reasons.

SES recommends students submit a letter of resignation or e-mail message at least two weeks (14 days or 10 working days) prior to their last day of employment. The letter should include the effective resignation date.

Involuntary Termination with Notice

Reasons for terminating a student's employment with two weeks' notice:

  • Documented unacceptable performance of job duties;
  • Documented refusal to perform assigned job duties;
  • Discontinuation of the job;
  • Lack of department funding;
  • Elimination of position due to office re-organization;
  • Scheduling conflicts;
  • Student reached FWS allocation limit per Student Financial Aid.

Prior to terminating a student's employment for unacceptable performance, you should have taken the appropriate steps to ensure that the student has been given reasonable time and opportunity to improve work performance. Setting clear expectations, training, feedback sessions, job coaching, attendance patterns, and performance evaluations should all be documented. Disciplinary measures should be applied uniformly and in accordance with your department's policies.

Involuntary Termination without Notice

You have the right to terminate the student's employment without notice if he or she has been found in extreme violation of University policies, including the student code. Examples of extreme violation include, but are not limited to:

  • Repeated documented unexcused absences;
  • Theft;
  • Time sheet falsification;
  • Violation of any serious infraction of the University Student Code;
  • Use of drugs or alcohol immediately prior to or during a scheduled work shift;
  • Insubordination – willful or intentional failure to obey a lawful and reasonable request of a supervisor; blatant demonstrated lack of respect or harassment directed toward a supervisor;
  • No effort to rectify a grievance you previously presented (you must be able to document this violation).


Student employees are paid wages ONLY for time actually worked. Student employees are covered, however, under Ohio Worker's Compensation in the event of a work-related injury or illness.

Sick/Emergency Leave

Student employees are not entitled to sick pay. Students who are ill or have an emergency should call their supervisors prior to their scheduled shift. Should the student's illness persist for an extended period of time, you may need to evaluate the student's situation and make the necessary arrangements. BGSU Falcon Health Center does not provide notes excusing students who miss class or work.

In the event of illness or emergency, student employees should NOT be required to arrange for a substitute for their work shifts.

If the student is absent due to uncontrollable circumstances and is unable to notify you, allow the student to explain the situation upon return to work. If the student does not have a justifiable reason for the absence, or continues to miss work without proper notification, the student is subject to the appropriate disciplinary action based on your written department policy.


Student employees are not entitled to vacation pay. It is advisable that you establish a policy for students to request time off from work in advance, where possible. Students are not required to work during regularly scheduled break periods (spring break, fall break, semester break, Thanksgiving, summer sessions, etc.) unless the job posting and/or description specifically stated that it is part of the job.

Legal Holidays

Student employees are not required to work on legal holidays and official University holidays, and are not entitled to special holiday pay. However, many University departments are open on certain holidays, and consequently you may need to schedule students to work. To the extent possible, you must notify the student in advance when he or she is scheduled to work on a legal or University holiday and make sure that the posted job description includes language to that effect. The student has the option to decline to work on designated holidays. Students who choose to work on legal or University holidays are paid their normal hourly rate.

Religious Observances or Holidays

In an effort to reasonably accomodate the needs of student employees while also protecting the interests of the University as Employer, BGSU will allow a student to request to be excused from their student employment (on an unpaid basis) for up to three days each academic semester to take holidays for reason of faith or religious or spiritual belief system or participate in organized activities conducted under the auspices of a religious denomination, church or other religious or spiritual organiziation.

The student must make the request to their immediate supervisor at least one week before the date of the absence.

If the request is timely the supervisor will grant it unless allowing the absence would cause undue hardship in the conduct of university business.

If the request is disallowed, the student employee may ask their next-level supervisor to review it. That supervisor's decision will be final.

Maternity/Paternity Leave

Student employees are not entitled to be paid while on maternity or paternity leave. Every effort should be made to offer the student a comparable position upon return. If the student is leaving for maternity reasons, you may require them to provide a physician's medical release as a condition of their return to work.

Military Leave

Students are not entitled to military leave pay. If a student is called for active military duty, assess the situation on an individual basis and make arrangements with the student. Every effort should be made to offer the student a comparable position upon return from military duties.


Students are urged to make provisions to vote on their own time. However, if their class and work schedules make it inconvenient, you should allow up to one hour of unpaid release time, authorized at your discretion.

Jury Duty

If summoned, student employees are not automatically exempted from jury duty. If required to appear, students may or may not be chosen to serve on a jury. Depending on the jury (municipal or county), jurors are paid a per diem by the court. Trials are of short duration, and every effort should be made to accommodate students' work and class schedules. Student employees cannot be paid BGSU wages for time served on jury duty.

Updated: 01/23/2024 04:26PM