Resident Success Mentor
Resident Success Mentor | Serves as the first line of contact for first year residential students. The Resident Success Mentor is responsible for developing a positive, supportive relationship with students, providing leadership and guidance in helping them adjust to life as a college student. The Resident Success Mentor is also responsible for event planning, implementation, and management.
This person should be able to demonstrate effective skills in time management, organization, and interpersonal communication and must be sensitive to the needs of others. This position will work an average of 15 hours a week.
Resident Success Mentor Job Duties
- Communicate with assigned mentees at least once weekly and on an as-needed basis
- Meet one-on-one with assigned mentees, including at least two interactions a month
- Organize and lead a monthly small group meeting/event with assigned mentees
- Complete weekly reports detailing interactions with mentees
- Assist mentees with academic resources and referrals
- Maintain approximately 5 hours of dedicated office time per week to assist students requesting in-person appointments, virtual meetings, or digital communication (email, text, etc.). Examples of student issues include help with time management, study skills, organization, test-taking skills, study group strategies, understanding a syllabus, using Canvas, etc.
- Conduct outreach with assigned students via phone, email, or text who may be facing additional barriers such as difficulty registering for courses, academic early alerts from staff and faculty, or other referrals from ORL and campus partners.
- Plan 1-2 small events per semester to engage assigned mentees
- Assist with planning or facilitating 1-2 workshops/ongoing events to engage the residential population in student success topics
- Work collaboratively with ORL student and professional staff to assist with floor or hall programming relevant to student success
- Attend weekly Resident Student Success meetings on Wednesdays from 7:30 pm-9:00 pm
- Participate in virtual and in-person training and ongoing development sessions throughout the semester
- Attend scheduled meetings with Graduate Resident Success Coordinator and in-hall staff, as needed
- Assist with ORL student staff recruitment by nominating students, conducting information sessions, and interviews
Application Process for 2022-2023 Academic School Year
|Monday, January 10 - Friday, January 21||Accepting Applications*|
|Monday, January 10 - Friday, January 21||(Current Staff Only) Intent to Return Form|
|Monday, January 24 - Friday, January 28||Interviews with Residence Life Staff|
* The day of, this will become a hyperlink to the application.
Information Sessions & Workshops
|Monday, January 10 at 4 pm||Virtual: https://bit.ly/ResLifeInfoSession||Information Session|
|Wednesday, January 12 at 5 pm||Math Science 240||Apps and Wraps|
|Thursday, January 13 at 6 pm||Virtual: https://bit.ly/ResLifeInfoSession||Information Session|
|Thursday, January 13 at 6 pm||Math Science 241||Apps and Wraps*|
|Monday, January 17 at 4 pm||Virtual: https://bit.ly/ResLifeInfoSession||Information Session|
|Tuesday, January 18 at 1 pm||Math Science 240||Apps and Wraps|
|Thursday, January 20 at 4 pm||Virtual: https://bit.ly/ResLifeInfoSession||Information Session|
|Thursday, January 20 at 7 pm||Kuhlin Center 206||Apps and Wraps|
*Candidates who are only interested in the Resident Success Mentor position should attend this session.
Other Residence Life Student Positions
Updated: 01/12/2022 09:51AM