Work Authorizations and Types for Students

Hiring International Students

There are several types of Federal Work Authorizations for International Students/Workers.  The ISS Office offers Curricular Practical Training and Optional Practical Training Workshops twice per week.  See our Facebook Page or the Weekly ISS announcement for specific weekly schedule.

Frequently Asked Questions

Is documentation required showing a foreign worker is not taking a job from a U.S. citizen? 

CPT and OPT do not require a Labor Certification Application. American companies do not need to document their employee is not taking a job from a citizen.

Is there a particular wage/salary required to be paid to a foreign worker?

Yes. Employers must pay the international student either the actual wage being paid to others in the company doing the same job, or the “prevailing wage” (average wage for that occupation in the region).

What about unpaid interns?

International students must be paid under the same provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA). International students are able to work as legitimate (per the FLSA) volunteers without work authorization.

Benefits of Hiring International Students

  • With work authorization requirements, an international student is more likely to stay with your company/organization, thereby reducing recruiting costs of replacement.
  • International students bring a variety of cultural perspectives, languages, and backgrounds to your organization.
  • Due to their new cultural experiences, international students often may be more flexible and adaptable.
  • Hiring international students helps to build a diverse workforce within an organization.