Curricular Practical Training

Curricular practical training is defined as an internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum, which is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school. A student must have completed one academic year of full-time enrollment to be eligible to apply for CPT. Exceptions to this regulation are provided for students enrolled in graduate programs that require immediate participation in curricular training. If you participate in full-time curricular practical training for twelve (12) months or more, in total, you are not eligible for Optional Practical Training (OPT).

How to Apply:

  1. Complete the attached CPT Worksheet (PDF) and give it to your academic advisor or department chair.
  2. Obtain an employment offer letter from the company / organization you wish to be employed with. Letter must include job title, job description, and beginning and ending dates.
  3. Register for the class indicated on CPT worksheet, item #4.

Bring the following documents to International Student Services for processing:

  1. Completed CPT Worksheet signed by your academic advisor or department chair.
  2. Employment Offer Letter.

If a student qualifies for CPT, International Student Services will authorize it and note the employment authorization on page 3 of the student’s Form I-20. Per USCIS regulations, all students planning to do CPT must apply for and receive official approval from the ISS Office BEFORE beginning employment.

Students who are doing CPT must meet the following requirements: Whether doing part-time or full-time CPT, the student must carry a full course load during the academic year (12 credit hours per semester for undergraduates and nine credit hours per semester for graduates). For example, if an undergraduate student is doing a three-hour internship, he/she must be registered for an additional nine credit hours to meet the minimum 12-credit hour requirement.

Graduate students with GA positions are eligible for CPT only when required for their degree program.

Students who have completed all required courses for their degree program (but still have a paper, thesis, or dissertation to finish to graduate) should apply for Optional Practical Training (see below).

Cost:  No Cost to Employer   
Time Frame: During academic program

  • Must be related to academic program
  • Paperwork filed by student after receiving job/internship offer