Requirements for Sociology Majors (33 hours total)
Sociology is the study of relations among individuals, relations between individuals and society, and relations among the systems and structures of society. Majoring in sociology prepares you for a variety of professions in businesses and organizations such as academic institutions, government sectors, small business, large corporations, and non-profits.
- SOC 1010 Principles of Sociology**
- SOC 3020 Introduction to Sociological Theory
- SOC 2680 Introductory Methodology
- SOC 2690* Introductory Statistics (QL)*
- SOC 4800 Sociology Capstone**
- Plus, at least 18 hours of sociology electives (choose from SOC 2020 through 4950)
Note: These courses also fulfill specific BGP requirements.
- 2310 Cultural Anthropology (international perspective)
- 2690 Introductory Statistics (quantitative literacy)
- 3160 Minority Groups (cultural diversity in the U.S.)
*One of the following combination of courses can count as a substitution with advisor approval. Students who take these courses will still need 33 hours in sociology to fulfill the sociology major.
MATH 1150 & 1160, STAT 2110 & 2120, or PSYC 2700
**Minimum grade of “C” required
A Minor is required; see advisor to discuss option (usually 21 hours).
Teaching Professor & Director of Undergraduate Studies
Department of Sociology
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH 43403 419-372-3907
Updated: 02/23/2021 02:58PM