Prospective Graduate Students

H2O Water Quality Research 2022

Passionate about research on lake and watershed water quality, conservation, or sustainability?

Consider applying for an MS or PhD working with one of the faculty members from the Center for Great Lakes and Watershed Studies!

Interested students should directly contact faculty that match their research interests after looking at their lab websites (see below). Degrees will be through each faculty members' home unit, although co-advising by multiple CGLWS faculty provides some flexibility in choice of the degree program. Stipends and tuition waivers are typically provided to strong applicants through a combination of research and teaching assistantships. Students may also apply for fellowships and grants through the CGLWS that may supplement the awards through each unit or faculty member (see below).

CGLWS faculty that are currently recruiting students:

Dr. Alexis Ostrowski: Research on watershed metal photochemistry and applications for agriculture and water quality

Dr. Kevin McCluney: Research on aquatic and linked riparian food webs, pharmaceuticals, wetland nutrient cycling, and soil health.

Dr. Kevin Neves: Research on integrated multi-trophic aquaponics systems

Dr. Angélica Vázquez-Ortega: Research on soil health, especially the role of organic carbon in nutrient cycling

Dr. Christopher Ward: Research on microbial ecology of freshwater bodies, harmful algal blooms (HABs), and algal cultivation ponds

Dr. James Metcalf: Research on aquatic ecotoxicology, especially cyanotoxins

Dr. Ganming Liu: Research on hydrology, especially groundwater and watershed modeling

Fellowships and Grants

Students may apply for fellowships that provide an additional $2500 stipend per year (awarded each summer) on top of other assistantships, as well as a limited number of research grants providing $1000 towards expenses related to their graduate research. To apply, students should first find one or more CGLWS faculty members that would support their fellowship or grant application. Students then send a cover letter, CV, and unofficial transcripts directly to the faculty member supporting their application. This faculty member will then forward their application to the CGLWS education committee, who will make award decisions.

Updated: 10/16/2023 12:33PM