Meet Our Team
Jolie A. Sheffer | Director
I am an associate professor of English and American Culture Studies and an affiliated faculty member in the Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies program at Bowling Green State University. My scholarship centers on race, ethnicity, gender, and sexuality in twentieth-century American literature and popular culture. My book, The Romance of Race: Incest, Miscegenation, and Multiculturalism in the United States, 1880-1930, was published by Rutgers University Press in 2013. My current research is on competing notions of community and identity in contemporary U.S. culture. I regularly teach courses in American literature and popular culture since the Civil War, multiethnic American literature, American Studies, and literary theory and cultural studies. Click here and here to see my students’ digital humanities work.
Kari Hanlin | Graduate Research Assistant
I am a first-year student in the Rhetoric and Writing PhD program. My research interests focus heavily on feminist rhetoric and revolution in Appalachia, but I am also interested in writing center pedagogy and integrating popular culture into first-year composition classrooms. When I am not in East Hall, you’ll find me reading and writing stories of all kinds, hanging out with my rescue dogs, or picking up yet another crafting hobby.
Stevie Scheurich | Graduate Research Assistant
I am a third-year student in the American Culture Studies Ph.D. program at Bowling Green State University. My research interests include queer-feminist analyses of how the witch has been used as a symbol of resistance from the U.S. suffrage movement to today's feminist movement. When I am not studying, I enjoy riding my bike, roller skating, taking a leisurely stroll, admiring my cat, and cooking overly complicated meals.
Autumn Bowman | Intern
I am a third-year getting a Bachelor of Science in Technology degree at Bowling Green State University. I am majoring in Visual Communication Technology. My two specialties are photography & video production, but I also have experience with graphic design and print. I have been running my own freelance business for four years now and I can’t wait to see what’s next in store for my career!
Reanna Dawson | Intern
I am a senior from Dayton, Ohio majoring in Organizational Communications. In 2018, I founded the Dawson Alumni Connection program to connect incoming freshmen with student mentors. The goal of the program is to not only get students to college but through college. I have been a vegetarian since the 7th grade and am a huge mandalorian fan. Learn more about me in future events to come!
Morgan Taylor | Intern
I am a fourth-year Public Relations major and an Ethnic Studies minor. I currently serve as the President of Sigma Lambda Gamma National Sorority, Inc. I am also a member of the Voices at BGSU. After graduation, I hope to work in the entertainment industry as a public relations professional!
DeAnna MacKeigan | Intern
I am a third-year Media Production major, with a minor in Recording Technology. I have interned at the Stanton Audio Recording Studio, where I gained a lot of experience recording live bands and helping other students learn how to use recording equipment. I just started working for WBGU-PBS as a Production Assistant. I am also a Student Supervisor at the Music Library and Bill Shurck Sound Archives. I am looking forward to learning new things during my internship with ICS!
Ryan Cummings | Intern
I am a fourth year Media Production major with a minor in Journalism. I love music and am the Entertainment Editor with the BG News, so my specialties are editing audio as well as writing. There's a million different ways you could choose to live your life, why let boring be one?
ICS 2020-2021 EXECUTIVE BOARD
- Ana Brown | Director, Office of Multicultural Affairs | Fall 2019 - Spring 2023
- Thomas Castillo | Associate Professor of Theatre and Film | Fall 2019 - Spring 2022
- Kim Coates | Associate Professor of English | Fall 2017 - Spring 2021
- Thomas Edge | Lecturer of Ethnic Studies | Fall 2017 - Spring 2023
- Geoffrey Howes | Professor Emeritus of German and Community Member| Fall 2019 - Spring 2022
- Kristina LaVenia | Assistant Professor of Educational Foundations, Leadership, and Policy | Fall 2019 - Spring 2021
- Mary-Jon Ludy| Associate Professor of Food and Nutrition | Fall 2019 - Spring 2022
- Leigh-Ann Pahapill | Associate Professor, First Year Program Coordinator: Fall 2020-Spring 2023
- V Jane Rosser | Director of the Center for Community and Civic Engagement | Fall 2018 - Spring 2024
- Jerry Schnepp | Associate Professor, College of Technology Architecture and Applied Engineering: Fall 2020-Spring 2023
- Theodore Rippey | Associate Dean in the College of Arts & Sciences (ex-officio)
Role of the Board:
The primary role of the ICS Executive Board is to act in an advisory and decision-making capacity reporting to the Director on matters involving the activities and responsibilities of ICS.
Terms of Service:
- Three-year term, on a staggered rotation (so that no more than 1/3 of seats are open in any year)
- A Board members whose cycle has ended may re-apply for another term at any time
Makeup of the Board:
- A minimum of six (6) and a maximum of ten (10) members
- Faculty of any rank may apply to be on the Executive Board, but at least three (3) members must be tenured or tenure-track faculty
- One (1) seat will be held by an ex-officio member designated by the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences (chair/director, associate dean, faculty member, etc.)
- At least one (1) seat must be held by someone in the humanities (English, Philosophy, etc.)
- At least one seat (1) must be held by someone in the fine or performing arts (Art, Theatre, Creative Writing, etc.)
- At least one (1) seat must be held by someone in the qualitative social sciences (Sociology, Political Science, etc.)
- At least one (1) seat must be held by faculty outside the College of Arts & Sciences
- One (1) seat must be held by a representative from a division other than Academic Affairs
- Up to one (1) seat may be held by an alumnus or community member