Meet Our Team
Jolie A. Sheffer | Director
[ID: Dr. Jolie Sheffer smiling in front of a building. There are flowers in the background of the image.]
(she/her) I am professor of English and American Culture Studies and an affiliated faculty member in the Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies program at Bowling Green State University. I am the author of The Romance of Race: Incest, Miscegenation, and Multiculturalism in the United States, 1880-1930 and Understanding Karen Tei Yamashita. My current research is on competing notions of community and identity in contemporary U.S. culture, from the 1960s to the present.
Kari Hanlin | Graduate Research Assistant
[ID: A headshot image of Kari Hanlin. She is laughing in front of a stack of bookshelves].
(She/her) I am a second year student in the Rhetoric and Writing PhD program. My research focuses heavily on rhetorics of power and revolution in Appalachia. When I am not chugging coffee in East Hall, you’ll find me reading and writing stories of all kinds, hanging out with my rescue dog, (Peter) Parker, or picking up yet another crafting hobby.
Johanna Simpson | Graduate Research Assistant
[ID: Johanna standing outside, in front of a building. She is smiling at the camera]
(She/her) I am a first-year student in the American Culture Studies Ph.D. program. My research interests include fan studies and how media fan communities negotiate issues of representation in online spaces. In my free time, I enjoy reading, drawing, and trying out new recipes.
Lauren Degener | Intern
[ID: Lauren is standing beneath a tree, smiling.]
I am a senior majoring in English Literature and minoring in Nonprofit Administration. I transferred to BGSU in the spring of 2020 from Harford Community College in Bel Air, Maryland, where I earned my Associate of Arts. I have published papers with the International ResearchScapes Journal here at BGSU, as well as spoken at the History and the Humanities conference at Youngstown University. Outside of academics, I have recently self-published my first novel and work for my family’s small business. In the long-term, I want to work in editing and potentially get my master's so I can work as a curriculum developer.
C. Wells-Jensen | Intern
[ID: A selfie of C.]
(They/them) Hi there! I’m a 5th-year, double majoring in Women’s, Gender and Sexuality Studies (emphasizing queer studies and disability issues) and Studio Art (with focus in 2D art), and I coauthored a chapter in the book 'Disability Hate Speech' in 2019. I’m currently an assistant in the library archives on campus. I’m looking forward to my involvement with ICS this fall!
Alexander Schweitzer | Intern
[ID: A selfie of Alexander.]Howdy, my name is Alexander Schweitzer and I am a senior at BGSU. I am majoring in Media Production & Studies and am currently completing my final semester. I transferred to BGSU in 2019 after obtaining an Associate’s degree from Owens Community College. I enjoy editing audio and video and going for walks in metroparks around Toledo. I’ve written and produced podcast episodes before and look forward to getting involved with BG Ideas.
ICS 2021-2022 EXECUTIVE BOARD
- Elizabeth Balint | Great Lakes Consortium | Fall 2021 - Spring 2022
- Jason Kucsma | Toledo-Lucas County Public Library | Fall 2021 - Spring 2022
- Julie Carle | Retired BGSU Marketing and Communications Manager | Fall 2021 - Spring 2022
- Geoffrey Howes | Professor Emeritus of German and Community Member | Fall 2019 - Spring 2022
- Mary-Jon Ludy | Associate Professor of Food and Nutrition | Fall 2019 - Spring 2022
- Thomas Castillo | Associate Professor of Theatre and Film | Fall 2019 - Spring 2022
- Ana Brown | Deputy Chief for Diversity, Belonging, and Multicultural Affairs | Fall 2019 - Spring 2023
- Thomas Edge | Lecturer of Ethnic Studies | Fall 2020 - Spring 2023
- Leigh-Ann Pahapill | Associate Professor of Art | Fall 2020-Spring 2023
- Jerry Schnepp | Associate Professor, College of Technology Architecture and Applied Engineering | Fall 2020-Spring 2023
- Lisa Hanasono | Associate Professor, School of Media & Communication | Fall 2021 - Spring 2024
- Rebecca Kinney | Associate Professor, School of Cultural & Critical Studies | Fall 2022 - Spring 2024
- V Jane Rosser | Director of Civic Engagement in the C. Raymond Marvin Center for Student Leadership | Fall 2021 - Spring 2024
- Sheila Roberts | Associate Dean in the College of Arts & Sciences (ex-officio)
Role of the Board:
The primary role of the ICS Executive Board is to act in an advisory and decision-making capacity reporting to the Director on matters involving the activities and responsibilities of ICS.
Terms of Service:
- Three-year term, on a staggered rotation (so that no more than 1/3 of seats are open in any year)
- A Board members whose cycle has ended may re-apply for another term at any time
Makeup of the Board:
- A minimum of six (6) and a maximum of ten (10) members
- Faculty of any rank may apply to be on the Executive Board, but at least three (3) members must be tenured or tenure-track faculty
- One (1) seat will be held by an ex-officio member designated by the Dean of the College of Arts & Sciences (chair/director, associate dean, faculty member, etc.)
- At least one (1) seat must be held by someone in the humanities (English, Philosophy, etc.)
- At least one seat (1) must be held by someone in the fine or performing arts (Art, Theatre, Creative Writing, etc.)
- At least one (1) seat must be held by someone in the qualitative social sciences (Sociology, Political Science, etc.)
- At least one (1) seat must be held by faculty outside the College of Arts & Sciences
- One (1) seat must be held by a representative from a division other than Academic Affairs
- Up to one (1) seat may be held by an alumnus or community member