ICS Student Internship Program
BGSU students (both graduate and undergraduate),
Are you looking for opportunities to put your academic research and writing skills into practice? Are you looking for meaningful professional experience and mentorship from the convenient location of BGSU’s campus? Would you like to receive academic course credit in the process? Then apply to be an intern with BGSU’s own interdisciplinary, public humanities center - the Institute for the Study of Culture & Society (ICS). This unpaid internship provides valuable experience in areas such as event planning and project management, social media and public relations, graphic design, research and curricular development, media production, and more. Internships are typically offered each Fall and Spring.
The Institute for the Study of Culture and Society seeks to connect academic research to the wider community through public engagement activities. ICS helps faculty to develop, communicate, and disseminate their scholarly and creative work to constituencies across campus and throughout the region. With our public events and outreach efforts, we bring issues of vital national and global importance to Northwest Ohio, and, in turn, bring community knowledge back into the university.
Meet our current interns on the ICS Meet Our Team page!
We are looking for motivated, team-oriented problem solvers with excellent communication skills. ICS interns work approximately 10 hours per week in the ICS offices in East Hall. ICS internships are offered in the following tracks:
Social Media and Publicity
- Develop and implement a social media plan and assess its success
- Develop publicity strategies and manage day-to-day promotions of ICS events and programs
- Learn about accessibility standards and implement programs and processes in ICS promotional materials and on the ICS website
- Design professional-looking posters, flyers, emails, and digital screens to advertise upcoming events
- Design outward-facing promotional materials such as brochures, logos, swag etc.
- Design, update, and edit presentation templates (including for accessibility) for ICS public events and workshops
- Draft text for emails, press releases, invitation letters, posters, flyers, and other essential documents to communicate with our audiences
- Draft podcast scripts and speaker introductions
- Research and work with media outlets for event promotion
Research & Curriculum Development
- Research, annotate, and summarize journalism and scholarly articles, and curate curriculum guides for general audiences
- Create course outreach lists to promote events and curriculum guides, and draft course outreach materials to go to faculty
- Research backgrounds of speakers and assist in drafting podcast scripts, panel questions, and more
- Learn project management and “traffic” skills to maintain steady workflows in a professional setting
- Assist in planning, scheduling, and publicizing public lectures, workshops, community engagement activities, and other high-impact special events across Wood and Lucas Counties
- Develop and implement office organizational plans and standards for archiving past events and activities
- Shoot and edit photographs and videos of events
- Storyboard, create, and edit promotional videos
- Transcribe, caption, and publish audio and video files to meet accessibility standards
Updated: 04/14/2023 04:34PM