Codes of Conduct
BGSU is a community of scholars. As members of this community, we each have the individual and collective responsibility to conduct our personal lives in the context of mutual regard for the rights, property and privileges of others.
These Codes create a set of expectations for student conduct, ensure a fair process for determining responsibility when student behavior may have deviated from those expectations and provide appropriate sanctions when a student and/or student organization has violated the Code(s).
Student Rights and Responsibilities
One of the concerns of Bowling Green State University is to provide each student with the opportunity to learn. Therefore, some personal freedoms and rights of students include, but are not limited to:
- Freedom of inquiry, speech and assembly.
- Freedom from threats.
- Freedom from acts of violence.
- Freedom from unfair or obscene treatment from others.
- Freedom from interference from others in an unreasonable and unauthorized manner while in class, activities and public events.
- Freedom from theft and willful destruction of personal property.
- Right to study and to learn in an atmosphere of academic freedom.
- Right to procedural due process in University conduct action.
- Right to be governed by justifiable academic regulations.
- Right to be informed of the regulations for academic and social conduct, and graduation requirements of the University.
- Right to petition for redress of grievances, academic and nonacademic.
- Right to be informed in writing of alleged violations of the Code of Student Conduct.
Each student has the responsibility:
- To respect the rights and property of others.
- To be fully acquainted and comply with the published rules and regulations of the University.
- To comply with all local, state and federal laws
- To recognize that student actions reflect upon the individuals involved as well as upon the entire University community.
- To recognize the University’s obligation to provide an environment conducive for learning and academic inquiry.
- To adhere to the academic requirements determined by individual instructors.