Rights and Responsibilities for Students

Transferring Privacy Rights from Parents to Students under FERPA

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act transfers both rights and responsibilities from parents to students in its protection of student education records at the college level.  As a student at BGSU, you have a certain degree of control over who has access to your records depending on your status as a tax dependent, the nature of the information requested, and the reason for accessing or disseminating the information.  This means your parents will not have access to your grades without your written authorization.

The BGSU experience is intended to foster your social and intellectual growth, maturation and ability to make informed decisions as you exercise new freedoms in an adult world.  With these new freedoms, come increasing responsibility for your own actions, on and off campus. Making the right choice is not always easy when you are just starting out. Therefore, FERPA  provides a safety net by giving colleges and universities some limited options to release information from your education records to parents and certain individuals or agencies.  These options come into play when a legitimate educational interest has been verified or the health and safety emergency exception has been invoked.

FERPA Rights and Responsibilities for Students

Academic Issues and Grades

Contact Information:

Registration and Records

Office: 110 Administration Bldg.
Phone: 419-372-8441
Email: Registrar@bgsu.edu

Office of the Bursar

Office: 132 Administration Building
Phone: 419-372-2815
Email: bursar@bgsu.edu

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Academic Issues and Student Records Policies

You will receive final grades online by connecting to the MyBGSU Web portal using your personal ID number, email user name and password.  You will also be notified by the University during the middle of the semester if a faculty member identifies you as a student at risk of not succeeding in his or her class.  Suggestions for services that can assist you will be offered, and we urge you to take advantage of these.

FERPA entitles you the right of confidentiality with regard to your academic record including grades. You may choose to waive this right to allow your parents or guardian access to your education records by signing Student's Authorization to Release Information form, available online or from the Office of the Bursar, 419-372-2815.  This form can also be used to revoke your authorization for access at any time if you change your mind.

Student Rights under FERPA

Assuming you are an eligible student, you have the following rights:

You have the right to inspect and review your education records within 45 days of the date the University receives a request for access. The steps to request an inspection and review are as follows:

  • You should submit a written request that identifies the record(s) you wish to inspect to the registrar, dean, chair or director of the academic unit or other appropriate official.
  • The University official will make arrangements for access and notify you of the time and place where the records may be inspected.
  • If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official will advise you of the correct official to contact.

You have the right to request changes or corrections to education records you believe are inaccurate or misleading by asking the University to make an amendment. To request an amendment, you should:

  • Write to the University official responsible for the record;
  • Clearly identify the part(s) of the record you want changed or corrected; and
  • Specify why it is inaccurate or misleading.

If a University official(s) decides not to amend the records as you requested, you will be notified of this decision and advised on your right to a hearing. Additional information about the hearing procedures will accompany the notification.

Students commonly move or change cell phone numbers.  To keep your friends and family up to date, the ITS Changing Incorrect Student Data site provides advice on how and where you may request changes or corrections to your Directory Information.

You have the right to request that your Directory Information be withheld from disclosure as allowed by FERPA.  The University may (but is not required to) release this information to a third party unless you have formally requested that it be withheld.  BGSU does not release lists of student names or other information to off-campus businesses or agencies except as required by law.  To exercise your right of nondisclosure, please complete the Request to Withhold Directory Information form and submit the form to the Office of Registration and Records in 110 Administration Bldg.  You may also call the office for clarification at (419) 372-8441 or stop by the office.

You have the right to authorize release of your educational records beyond what is considered directory information to designated individuals or parties (e.g., your parents, guardians, or potential employers).  This authorization is provided on a Student's Authorization to Release Information that you may submit to the Office of the Bursar in 132 Administration Bldg.  Your authorization will be in effect until revoked by you by filling out the bottom section of the same form.

The Bursar's Student's Authorization to Release Information form may also be used to notify the Office of the Bursar of your dependent status as defined in Section 152 of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986.

You have the right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by Bowling Green State University to comply with the requirements of FERPA.  You do not, however, have the right to sue the University under this federal regulation. If you wish to file a complaint or request clarification, contact information for the Office that administers FERPA is:

Family Policy Compliance Office (FPCO)
U.S. Department of Education
600 Independence Ave., SW
Washington, DC 20202-4605

Privacy Restrictions under FERPA

Contact Information:

Registration and Records

Office: 110 Administration Bldg.
Phone: 419-372-8441
Email: Registrar@bgsu.edu

Office of the Bursar

Office: 132 Administration Building
Phone: 419-372-2815
Email: bursar@bgsu.edu

Office of the Dean of Students

Office: 303 University Hall
Phone: 419-372-2843
Email: studentlife@bgsu.edu

FERPA authorizes colleges and universities to disclose information without student consent in the following circumstances:

The University may disseminate information to school officials or other entities when there is a legitimate educational interest.

Upon request, the University may disclose your education records without consent to officials of another school in which you seek or intend to enroll.

Another example is the University's option under FERPA to release specific types of information from your discipline record.  University staff from the Office of the Dean of Students will notify your parents or guardians if you are found responsible for the use, sale or possession of controlled substances (illegal drugs) within the community. The Office of the Dean of Students will also notify your parents or guardians if you violate the Code of Student Conduct policies on the use and possession of alcohol when under the age of 21 and one or more of the following occurs:

  • You have been found to have violated the alcohol policy a
    second time;
  • Your actions have led to significant property damage;
  • When medical attention to any person, including yourself, is
    required as a result of your alcohol-related behavior;
  • When you demonstrate reckless disregard for your own
    personal safety or the safety of others; or
  • There is evidence that your alcohol-related behavior negatively
    impacted the learning environment.

Updated: 10/05/2023 08:44AM