Immunizations & Insurance

Bowling Green State University requires students to have health insurance and we encourage students to be covered by Personal Property Insurance while living away from home. You can check with your family's insurance provider to see if your current policy covers your belongings. 

Visit the University's COVID-19 website to learn more about BGSU's recommendations regarding the COVID-19 vaccine.


Based on the advice from the Falcon Health Center, we recommend having the following immunizations before move-in day:

  • M.M.R. (Measles, Mumps, Rubella): two doses required at least 28 days apart for students born after 1956.
  • Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (TDAP): TDAP booster recommended.
  • Completion of Meningitis ACWY vaccine and Meningitis B vaccine
  • Completion of Hepatitis B vaccine information
  • Tuberculosis Screening: if a student has signs or symptoms of active TB or a member of a high-risk group
  • Polio vaccine
  • Hepatitis A vaccine
  • Chickenpox (varicella) vaccine
  • Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine: The Falcon Health Center offers the Gardasil vaccine to help protect against diseases caused by HPV. Gardasil is for girls and women 9-26 years of age. The vaccine does not substitute for routine cervical cancer screenings. Three doses of the vaccine are needed. For more information about Gardasil, go to
  • Seasonal Flu vaccine
  • COVID-19 vaccine 
  • Find more resources on the Division of Health and Wellness webpage.

The Falcon Health Center can administer these vaccinations and can continue a series of vaccine injections initiated by another health care provider. Vaccines are available on a scheduled or walk-in basis from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday-Friday. The visit and immunization can be billed to your insurance or paid for by cash, BG1 Card, check or credit card. A physical examination within the past 12 months is also recommended.

Health Insurance

All domestic students taking eight or more credit hours on main campus need to be covered by health insurance. Correspondence, Online, and Distance Learning Classes are not considered to be "on main campus" for the health insurance requirement purpose. All International students taking one or more credit hours will be required to enroll into the BGSU/Aetna Student Health Plan.

Health Insurance Requirement
If you are a domestic student taking eight or more credits on main campus, you must complete the Health Insurance Requirement Form in your MyBGSU Account every year. If you do not have health insurance coverage, you will be enrolled in the BGSU/Aetna Student Health Plan. If you have adequate coverage and you do not want to be auto-enrolled into the student insurance program, you must complete the health insurance waiver prior to the posted deadline.

Additional information can be found on the Student Insurance Office website and questions about health insurance should be directed to their office at 419-372-7495 or

Learn More About Student Health Insurance

Personal Property Insurance

Although we hope you don't need it, we encourage students to be covered by Personal Property Insurance while living away from home. These plans can protect against theft and accidental damage to electronic devices and personal property that may occur while at school, home or when studying abroad. If your family already has a policy for your home and belongings, we recommend connecting with the insurance provider PRIOR to move-in day to verify your items are protected while you are living on campus.

We do not recommend a specific insurance provider or policy. If you need to purchase coverage, there are many insurance companies that offer coverage for college students.

Updated: 04/25/2024 09:55AM