Student Health Insurance FAQs
- All international students who are registered for one or more credit hours, including international students registered for co-ops, internships or dissertation credit hours.
- All domestic students who are registered for 8 or more credit hours on BGSU’s main campus. (Web-based classes do not apply to the health insurance requirement)
- Domestic students taking 5, 6, or 7 credit hours are eligible to enroll into the student health plan. Students in this category will need to contact our office to request an enrollment form prior to the semester deadline.
The BGSU Student Health Plan is provided by United Healthcare Student Resources and they can be contacted using the information below:
P.O. Box 809025
Dallas, TX 75380-9025
Customer Service: 1-888-799-7716
ou can find the most recent rates, dates of coverage and more about the plan on the Health Plan Benefits and Cost web page along with the most recent health plan brochure.
You can also review the waive/enroll requirements on the Domestic or International student insurance web pages.
- No. The BGSU/ United Healthcare Student Resources plan is a commercial health insurance plan that is accepted nationwide. The plan offers students access to a large network of participating providers throughout the U.S.
You can find instructions on how to waive and enroll on the Domestic or International student insurance web pages. Students who are under 18 during the open enrollment period, will need a parent/guardian's assistance.
Involuntary loss of coverage? If you lose health insurance coverage at a time outside of “open enrollment”, you are eligible to enroll in the BGSU student health insurance at a pro-rated amount if eligibility requirements are met. This type of enrollment is called a “Qualifying Life Event”. Learn more on the Involuntary Loss of Coverage web page.
Yes, but to enroll dependent(s), you must currently be enrolled in the plan. Learn how to enroll dependents on the Health Plan Benefits and Cost web page.
In certain situations, graduate students taking less than 5 credit hours are eligible to enroll into the Student Health Plan. This eligibility will apply to graduate students that are working on dissertation, thesis or internship credit hours required for graduation.
Contact the Student Insurance Office for more information.
Please visit the international student health insurance web page for details.
International students enrolled into an Optional Practical Training Program (OPT) are eligible to enroll into the student health plan, but will need to contact our office for eligibility requirements enrollment forms.
- If you need to enroll into the student health plan, you may contact our office for health insurance eligibility and enrollment options prior to your class registration. Email email@example.com or call (419) 372-7495.
- Alternatively, once a student has registered for 8 or more credit hours, the health insurance requirement will be on their MyBGSU To Do List. At this point, students are able to complete the enrollment or waiver process within their MyBGSU account.
- The health insurance deadline will be extended for all students that are registering for classes after the established deadline.
- Health insurance fees are not placed on student accounts until after their course registration of 8 or more credit hours on main campus (domestic students) or 1 or more credit hours (international students).
If you have already completed the online waiver and later need to enroll in the plan, please contact our office to find out your enrollment options.
Domestic students registered for 5, 6, or 7 credit hours on main campus can voluntarily purchase the student insurance plan during open enrollment time-frames. Contact the Student Insurance Office for information and enrollment forms.
Yes. A separate dental policy is available through United Healthcare Student Resources. You can learn more on our Student Dental Insurance web page.
Yes, you can use the Falcon Health Center. You do not have to be enrolled in the BGSU student health insurance plan to visit the Falcon Health Center.
For more information regarding Falcon Health Center Fees and Insurance, please visit their website at www.falconhealth.org.
Updated: 07/06/2021 01:55PM