State and National Awards
The Newman Civic Fellowship recognizes and supports community-committed students who have demonstrated an investment in finding solutions for challenges facing communities throughout the country. The fellowship, named for Campus Compact founder Frank Newman, provides training and resources that nurture students' assets and passions to help them develop strategies to achieve social change. Through the fellowship, Campus Compact provides learning opportunities focused on the skills fellows need in order to serve as effective agents of change in addressing public problems and building equitable communities.
- The fellowship is a one-year experience for students in which fellows have access to in-person and virtual learning opportunities, networking events, and mentoring.
- While the fellowship experience is limited to one year, participants in the Newman Civic Fellowship are invited to join a national network of community-committed peers and to enter into a long-term community of Newman Civic Fellows.
- Fellows are selected in the spring each year; the fellowship term begins the following academic year.
- Thomas Ehrlich Civically Engaged Faculty Award – Recognizes one senior faculty member (post-tenure or middle-to-late career if not in a tenure-line) each year for their exemplary engaged scholarship, including leadership in advancing students’ civic learning, conducting community-based research, fostering reciprocal community partnerships, building institutional commitments to service-learning and civic engagement, and other means of enhancing higher education’s contributions to the public good.
- Ernest A. Lynton Award for the Scholarship of Engagement for Early Career Faculty – Recognizes a full-time faculty member who is pre-tenure at tenure-granting campuses or early career (i.e. within the first six years) at campuses with long-term contracts, and who connects their teaching, research, and service to community engagement.
- David Hoch Memorial Award – Honors the outstanding work in service-learning and/or civic engagement performed by a faculty or staff member at an Ohio Campus Compact member institution.
- Charles J. Ping Student Service Award – Honors undergraduate students at Ohio Campus Compact member institutions for their outstanding leadership and contributions to community service or service-learning on their campus or within their community.
Updated: 01/24/2023 09:58AM