International Student Ambassador Volunteer Program
International Student Ambassador Volunteer Program
The International Student Ambassadors (ISA) Program is designed to connect incoming international students with a group of current Global Falcons who can help new students learn about the life at Bowling Green State University (BGSU). The mission of the program is to help incoming students during their transition to the college life and American culture, as well as, provide guidance, support and resources to new students as the arrive to BGSU.
The International Student Ambassadors at BGSU are a select group of knowledgeable, motivated, and enthusiastic international student leaders that assist International Programs & Partnerships in promoting BGSU and advocating for international student engagement on campus and in the greater Bowling Green community. The ISA volunteers participate in events involving students, faculty, high-level administrators, and national and local community members.
What are the Benefits?
The benefits of being an International Student Ambassador at BGSU include:
- Interacting with International Programs & Partnerships leadership
- Interacting with BGSU leadership and faculty
- Interacting with BGSU student groups
- Completing training in areas such as BGSU programs, application and admission processes, campus community, and digital and face-to face communication
- Expanding your network of professionals by meeting prominent BGSU alumni, community members and international officials
- “Giving back” to the community and the University and helping recruit future international students to BGSU
- Participating in the International Student Orientation program to mentor and guide new students
- Receiving a certificate of participation and letter of reference from International Programs & Partnerships Executive Director
An ISA volunteer who has successfully fulfilled his/her duties and continues as a BGSU student but chooses not to reapply as an ambassador may be selected as an Honorary International Student Ambassador by the decision of International Programs & Partnerships staff
International Student Ambassadors must meet the following criteria:
1. Must be a current international student who has completed at least one academic year at BGSU
2. Be a student in good academic and immigration standing at BGSU
3. Must have and maintain a minimum 3.0 cumulative GPA or higher
4. Must possess strong communication and interpersonal skills
5. Must possess a high level of enthusiasm for BGSU
6. Be available for various campus and community events throughout the year
7. Must commit to participate in all the International Student Orientation programming during the fall and spring semesters
8. Be knowledgeable about his/her home country
9. Demonstrate motivation and professionalism
10. Be outgoing and actively involved in campus activities and/or community activities
The application process for ISA volunteers is selective and completed during the spring semester for a term that begins the subsequent academic year. Ambassadors serve one-year terms and are welcome to reapply for additional terms throughout their degree program at BGSU. The selection committee for ambassadors will be comprised of International Programs & Partnerships staff, as well as one outgoing ISA who is selected from the current ISA volunteers. Students who apply but are not selected are encouraged to participate as a member of the World Student Association (WSA), a student group devoted to promoting cultural exchange and awareness at BGSU. Experience with WSA or other student organizations can improve a student’s chances of being selected in the future as an ISA.
International Student Ambassadors are expected to:
1. Ambassadors are expected to hold this role for one academic year with the opportunity to re-apply for subsequent terms provided that all the qualifications and expectations have been successfully met by the student
2. Attend the ISA meetings with the International Programs & Partnerships advisor
3. Participate in the Ambassador training prior to International Student Orientation
4. Participate in the orientation program for new students each fall and spring semester
5. Participate in the International Student Ambassador Panel by sharing experiences of adjusting to the new culture to new international students during orientation
6. Engage with new international students during Orientation and throughout the academic year
7. Advocate for international student engagement on campus and in the greater Bowling Green community
8. Maintain a positive attitude and reflect the model behavior of a campus leader
9. Assist International Programs & Partnerships in promoting BGSU
10. Assist International Programs and Partnerships with events programming during International Student Orientation and throughout the academic year
11. Attend a minimum of three events affiliated with International Programs & Partnership each semester and attend events such as the annual International Dinner and others upon invitation by International Programs & Partnerships
12. Encourage international students to reach out to our office with their questions or concerns
- Attend monthly one-hour meeting with the International Programs & Partnerships advisor
- Participate in mandatory one-hour training session prior to International Student Orientation
- Be available for major events
a. International Student Orientation (both in the fall and spring semester)
b. International Student Ambassador Panel (both in the fall and spring semester)
c. International Education Week (mid- November and may involve after 5 p.m. and weekend)
d. Homecoming weekend (which may involve after 5 p.m. and weekend)
The application is now open!
Applications must be submitted by Friday, March 11th at 11:59pm in Presence.
If you have questions before applying, there will be one virtual drop-in informational session on Friday, February 25th at 4:30PM.
Meeting link: https://teams.microsoft.com/l/meetup-join/19%3ameeting_YjE1ZjM1OTYtMjI5NC00YjE5LTg4ZGQtYjg3ZDMwNGFiNWEy%40thread.v2/0?context=%7b%22Tid%22%3a%22cdcb729d-5106-4d7c-b75b-a30c455d5b0a%22%2c%22Oid%22%3a%2263ff42bd-482f-482b-98e1-3966b3fc6714%22%7d
Updated: 02/09/2022 03:42PM