Visiting Guest J-1 Scholars

International Programs & Partnerships assists BGSU departments with compliance matters and DS-2019 processing for J-1 Short-Term Scholars, Professors, and Research Scholars.

Exchange visitors to BGSU enter the U.S. in J-1 status as either visiting professors, research scholars or short-term scholars. The intent of the Federal regulations allowing for such visits is international educational and cultural exchange. This means that a critical expectation underlies such approved exchange visitor visas: the person is in the U.S. temporarily with non-immigrant intent and will return home at the time the visa/status expires. Exchange visitors who enter the U.S. in one category (i.e., researcher) and who decide they would like to stay on in another category are generally not allowed to do so.

Special Restriction for J-1s

Most J-1 visa holders have a notation on their visa: Subject to 212(e). This is more commonly referred to as the Home Residency Requirement.

The Home Residency Requirement is part of the expectation when an international comes to the U.S. as an Exchange Visitor in J-1 status. Persons are subject if (1) they received any funding from the U.S. government (working on NSF, NIH, FIPSE grant funds, for example), or if (2) they received funds from their home government, or if (3) they possess a skill that is considered critical to their country.

In real terms, those subject to the 2-year Home Residency rule must leave the U. S. and reside in their home country for a total of two years (need not be in a single block of time) before they can apply for a new visa to re-enter the U.S. in another non-immigrant status or apply to adjust status to immigrant.

At this time, the maximum total length of stay in the U.S. in the J-1 Exchange Visitor category is five (5) years. Once J-1 scholars complete their programs, they must remain out of the U.S. for one year before they can apply to return in J-1 status. Any exchange visitor in the J-1 short-term scholar category who spends no more than six (6) months in the U.S. is exempt from the 12-month bar. Requests for an Exchange Visitor or to extend a visitor/scholar stay in the U.S. in J-1 status should be directed to Faculty & Staff Immigration Services.

Please note there are costs associated with the application and filing of the DS-2019 record.  Please contact us at for specific questions about these fees.

J-1 Visiting Scholar Checklist


Glossary of Terms for Visiting Guest J-1 Scholars

Glossary of Terms

Frequently Asked Questions


Updated: 06/08/2022 03:07PM