Space Heaters and Halogen Lamps

Space Heaters

BGSU recognizes that individuals have different levels of comfort associated with temperature and heat. The use of electric space heaters as a temporary measure is permitted, if the following guidelines are followed:

  • Where permitted, owners/ users of space heaters are responsible for their proper use.
  • Approved space heaters SHOULD:
    • Be electrically powered. Fuel powered (propane, kerosene) space heaters are not permitted. Space heaters must not take more than 110 volts of electricity to operate.
    • Be currently UL (Underwriters Laboratory) approved.
    • Be fan driven. Space heaters with heated coils are not permitted.
    • Have a thermostat that shuts unit off when a certain temperature is reached.
    • Have a tip-over shutdown feature. If a space heater is knocked over, the unit must automatically shut off.
    • Always be turned off and unplugged when the area being heated is not occupied.
    • Be kept at least 3 feet away from any combustible material.
    • Be plugged directly into a wall receptacle.
    • Be located in plain sight and clearly visible.
  • Space heaters should NOT:
    • Be placed on tables, chairs, boxes, etc. or other combustible material.
    • Be placed on top of or touching a space heater.
    • Be used around water.
  • Space heaters are not to be used in laboratories or other chemically exposed areas.
  • Space heaters are not to be used in residence halls.
  • Environmental Health & Safety reserves the right to inspect and declare "unapproved" any space heater that creates a hazard or is inappropriate to a particular location based on specific circumstances, or code and/or legal requirements.

Halogen Lamps

Bowling Green State University prohibits the use of quartz halogen lights in residential facilities and University offices on the Firelands and Bowling Green campuses. Halogen bulbs burn at 750 to 1200 degrees F, a much higher temperature than standard incandescent bulbs. Fires and fire-related deaths have occurred nationally when these bulbs came into contact with combustible materials such as clothing, curtains, bedding and upholstered furniture.

Updated: 10/02/2018 01:40PM