How to Get Started with Counseling
Students interested in beginning services can call during business hours, Monday-Friday 8am-5pm, to schedule an initial appointment. In the event of crisis situations and for individuals who are highly distressed, we have an on-call counselor available at 419-372-2081 from 8:00 a.m. to 5pm Monday-Friday.
What to Expect at Your Initial Appointment
The initial appointment is your chance to speak with a clinician at the Counseling Center. During this appointment our staff will ask questions, gather information about why you are visiting the Counseling Center, and answer any questions you may have. Initial appointments are approximately 45 minutes in length. You may find that you will get what you need from this initial appointment or as you talk with the clinician, the clinician will make recommendations about any treatment options. Treatment options may be group, short term individual therapy that is biweekly or once a month at our center, being connected with an on-campus partner for services, being connected with an off campus provider for individual therapy, weekly group therapy, or workshops at the center. Please visit our Services Offered tab to learn more about the offerings at the Counseling Center
An emergency might involve a situation in which you are concerned about the immediate safety and well-being of yourself or of someone else. Thoughts and plans to harm yourself or someone else is an emergency. If you have been assaulted, physically or sexually, that is an emergency. We have an on-call counselor available for crisis situations from 8am to 5pm Mon-Fri.
During the hours that the Counseling Center is open:
Call our office at 419-372-2081 and ask to speak to a counselor that day.
After office hours you should contact:
- On campus, contact your Hall Staff
- Wood County Crisis Line at 419-502-HOPE.
- Crisis Text Line-text HOME to 741741 to connect with a crisis counselor or STEVE to 741741 to be connected to a culturally competent crisis counselor
- Call or text 988
- Campus police, 419-372-2346 or 911
- Bowling Green City Police, 419-352-2571, 911 (off campus), 175 W. Wooster
- The Cocoon: Victims Advocate for sexual assault or domestic violence 419-373-1730
- Wood County Hospital Emergency Room: Immediate attention for physical crisis. 950 W. Wooster 419-354-8910
Updated: 11/08/2022 08:19AM