The Creative Writing Program at Bowling Green State University offers a comprehensive education in the literary arts. Through the program, students will learn to create original work in a distinct personal voice that demonstrates a mastery of literary craft. In addition, students will have opportunities to apply creative writing skills in professional contexts and develop literacy in new media and multi-modal forms of communication. Students in our classes study with working writers and artists, and graduates have gone on to publish work and find employment opportunities in teaching, marketing, advertising, editing, arts administration, and journalism.
The BGSU Creative Writing Program offers:
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Creative Writing, with specializations in Fiction and Poetry
- Minor in Creative Writing
- Minor in Word & Image, in collaboration with the School of Art
- MFA in Creative Writing
- Online Graduate Certificate in Creative Writing
The mission of the program:
- Teaching students the foundations of literary art and craft
- Aiding students in the creation of original work comparable in quality to the published work of contemporary poets and fiction writers
- Guiding students toward an understanding of modern and contemporary literature in all its diversity, and hence toward an understanding of our contemporary world
- Offering students opportunities to learn skills in editing and publishing
Upon completion of the baccalaureate degree, students in Creative Writing are expected to be able to:
- Use writing effectively—including current modes and evolving techniques and technologies—to explore subject matter and to communicate;
- Develop understanding of subject matter in relation to larger historical and/or cultural contexts, including multicultural contexts;
- Make connections between theory and practice. Students apply theory to understand texts, solve problems, and teach effectively. Students generalize from experiences with texts, communication situations, and teaching situations;
- Develop skills of creative and/or critical thinking.
Accreditation and/or Program/Cluster Review
Bowling Green State University [BGSU] is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission. BGSU has been accredited by the Higher Learning Commission since 01/01/1916. The most recent reaffirmation of accreditation was received in 2012 - 2013. Questions should be directed to the Office of Institutional Effectiveness.
The Creative Writing program went through Program/Cluster Review during the Academic Year 2016-17.
Professional Licensure (If applicable)
Bowling Green State University programs leading to licensure, certification and/or endorsement, whether delivered online, face-to-face or in a blended format, satisfy the academic requirements for those credentials set forth by the State of Ohio.
Requirements for licensure, certification and/or endorsement eligibility vary greatly from one profession to another and from state to state. The Creative Writing program does not lead to professional licensure.
Gainful Employment (If applicable)
Under the Higher Education Act Title IV disclosure requirements, an institution must provide current and prospective students with information about each of its programs that prepares students for gainful employment in a recognized occupation.
The Creative Writing program is not a recognized occupation that requires a Gainful Employment disclosure.
Updated: 02/11/2022 04:04PM