Art of Science Community (ASC)
Art of Science Community gatherings are accessible and open to all, providing a relaxed venue for students, faculty, business leaders, and the curious, to mingle with those sharing their interest in the sciences. These regular meetings feature a guest speaker and rich opportunities to connect with mentors, educators, and colleagues in northwest Ohio.
With a common theme 'Building a Better Environment', the ASC highlights the social relevance of science and the diverse research strengths of faculty sponsors, from the design of semiconductors and biosensors, to the impact of anthropogenic chemicals on ecosystem health. Students will find opportunities to interact with mentors, broaden their background in science, meet successful practicing scientists, increase comfort levels in professional situations, and maintain momentum to graduation.
Videos of the previous Art of Science Community events can be viewed by clicking on the links provided. The file may open right away in a new window or go to your downloads folder depending on the type of computer you are using.
Maps to the meeting locations at BGSU or Owens CC can be found at...
- Open to all interested in the natural and/or physical sciences, technology, engineering, computer science, and/or math
2012 - 2013 Art of Science Community gatherings... (Tuesday Nights!)
- September 18, 2012 - Dr. Julie Roche, Ohio University Associate Professor of Experimental Nuclear & Particle Physics. So they found the Higgs, now what? How I search for Physics beyond the Standard Model. This event to take place at BGSU, Perry Field House Meeting Room, 5-7pm.
- October 16, 2012 - Mr. Matt Ross, Owens Community College Faculty in the Urban Agriculture Program. Urban Agriculture: Changing the world one garden at a time. This event to take place at Owens Community College in Toledo, Law Enforcement Building Room 145/147 from 5-7pm.
- November 6, 2012 - Dr. Andrea Grottoli, The Ohio State University Associate Professor of Biogeochemistry and Paleoceanography. Global Warming & Ocean Acidification: How will corals manage? This event to take place at the BGSU Perry Field House Meeting Room, 5-7pm.
- February 19, 2013 - Dr. Daniel Scherson, Case Western Reserve University Professor of Chemistry and Director of the Ernest B. Yeager Center for Electrochemical Sciences. Bug Juice: Using Bug biochemistry to generate electricity. This event to take place at the BGSU Perry Field House Meeting Room, 5-7pm. Click here to view his webpage at Case Western Reserve.
- March 19, 2013 - Dr. Bruce Dale, Professor of Agriculture and Biochemical Engineering at Michigan State University. Title- "Energy, the Wealth of Nations, and Human Development: Why We Must (and How We Can) Have Sustainable Biofuels". This event to take place at the BGSU Perry Field House Meeting Room, 5-7pm.
- April 16, 2013 - Dr. Dina Lopez, Professor of Geological Sciences at Ohio University. Factors Affecting the Remediation of Streams Impacted by Acid Mine Drainage. This event to take place at Owens Community College in Toledo, 5-7pm.
In case you missed past events, you can click on the links attached to each one below in order to view the video or slideshow.
2011-2012 Art of Science Community Gatherings:
- September 20, 2011 - Mr. Stephen Murphy, First Solar, Director of Design Engineering. First Solar... Enabling a World Powered by Clean, Affordable Solar Electricity. This event to take place at BGSU, Perry Field House Meeting Room, 5-7pm.
- October 18, 2011 - Dr. Andrew Jorgensen, University of Toledo Chemist and Senior Fellow at the National Council for Science and the Environment. Global Climate Change: What Is It? How Will It Affect Us? Can We Reduce the Impact By Our Actions? This event to take place at Owens Community College, Law Enforcement Building room 145/147, 5-7pm.
- November 15, 2011 - Dr. Sally Boysen, Neuroscientist/Primatologist from The Ohio State University & Leverhulme Trust Visiting Professor, Centre for Evolutionally & Comparative Psychology, Dept. of Psychology at the University of Portsmouth, UK. Studying Animal Cognition & Behavior: Non Veterinary Career Paths for Animal Lovers . This event to take place at BGSU, Perry Field House Meeting Room, 5-7pm.
- February 14, 2012 - Dr. Laurie Fathe, Physics and Lasers in Research, Dean of Arts & Sciences at Owens Community College, This event to take place at BGSU, Perry Field House Meeting Room, 5-7pm.
- March 13, 2012 - Dr. Christine Mayer, Maumee River Larval Fish: The Journey from River to Lake, Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Toledo, Lake Erie Center, This event to take place at BGSU, Perry Field House Meeting Room, 5-7pm.
- April 10, 2012 - Dr. Richard Komuniecki, A Parasitologists Midlife Crisis: Using Worms to Study Pain and Depression, Distinguished University Professor, Department of Biological Sciences, University of Toledo, This event to take place at Owens Community College, AVCC room 125-128, from 5-7pm.
2010-2011 Art of Science Community Gatherings:
- September 21, 2010 - Dr. George Bullerjahn, Bowling Green State University Microbiologist working in Marine Biology on Algea research. Fun in the Great Lakes - it's not the Fish, the Boats or the Beaches... it's the Microbes! This event to take place at BGSU, Perry Field House Meeting Room, 5-7pm.
- October 19, 2010 - Ms. Katie McKibben, Environmental Specialist from the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency, Division of Surface Water at the NW District Office. Watershed Science: How Ohio is Restoring Healthy Waters. This event to take place at Owens Community College, Law Enforcement Building room 145/147, 5-7pm.
- November 16, 2010 - Dr. Rupali Chandar, University of Toledo Physics and Astronomy Researcher. Archaeology in Space: Digging for Clues to the Birth of Galaxies. This event to take place at BGSU, Perry Field House Meeting Room, 5-7pm.
- February 15, 2011 - Dr. Craig Zirbel, Bowling Green State University Professor of Math & Statistics. Bioinformatics: the Intersection between Genomics, Mathematics, and Computer Science. This event to take place at BGSU, Perry Field House Meeting Room, 5-7pm.
- March 22, 2011 - Dr. Ken Street, Materials Research Engineer, National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA). Living on a Dusty Moon. This event to take place at BGSU, Perry Field House Meeting Room, 5-7pm.
- April 12, 2011 - Dr. Arnold Caplan, Professor of Biology and Director of the Skeletal Research Center at Case Western Reserve University. Cell-Based Therapies: The Use of Adult Mesenchymal Stem Cells As Drug Stores. This event to take place at Owens Community College, AVCC room 125-128. The BGSU Hybrid bus will also be available for BGSU students and faculty to get a ride, contact the Program Manager, Liz Ross, to get on the sign up list.
2009-2010 Art of Science Community Gatherings:
- September 17, 2009 - Mr. Monty Jasper, Corporate Vice-President of Safety and Engineering,Cedar Fair Entertainment Company; event to take place at BGSU Perry Field House Meeting Room, 5-7 pm
- October 15, 2009 - Mr. Jim Matzinger, Center for Innovative Food Technology, Bio-fuel and Bio-technology; event to take place at Owens Community College, Law Enforcement Building room 145/147, 5-7pm
- November 19, 2009 - Dr. Dale Smith, BGSU Physics and Astronomy, Planetarium presentation in the BGSU Planetarium, 5-7pm
- February 18, 2010 - Ms. Emily Sautter, Green Energy Ohio, presenting Wind Energy Research & Development in Northwest Ohio, event taking place at Perry Field House, BGSU, 5-7pm
- March 18, 2010 - Ms. Kristin Stanford, The Lake Erie Islands Stone Lab, "Lessons Learned in the Recovery of the Lake Erie Water Snake." event taking place at Perry Field House, BGSU, 5-7pm. Kristin and her research were also featured on the Discovery Channel's 'Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe' show in 2007.
- April 15, 2010 - Dr. Ed Kravitz, Harvard Medical School, Department of Neurobiology, "The Fruit Fly Fight Club: sex and war in a single gene and other stories." event to take place at Owens Community College, 5-7pm in the Fire Science/Law Enforcement building, room 145/147.
2008-2009 Art of Science Community Gatherings:
- December 4, 2008 - Perry Field house Meeting Room, 5-7pm, Dr. Ralph Semrock (Associate Professor of Design Technologies at Owens Community College), designed and co-built Solterra, an earth-sheltered, passive solar home with seven alternate energy sources.
- February 5, 2009 - Perry Field house Meeting Room, 5-7pm, Dr. Carol Stepien (marine biologist from Lake Erie Center NWO) to talk about "Building a Better Environment in the Great Lakes: Career Insights from a Marine Biologist."
- April 16, 2009 - Owens Community College Law Enforcement building room 145/147, 5-7pm; Dr. Barry Piersol with the Electric Vehicle Institute to present "The development of Alternative Energy at Bowling Green State University." We have made efforts to provide the hybrid bus to transport students from BGSU to the event. There will be 25 seats available, sign up in the SETGO office (304 Life Sciences, BGSU). Will post reminders and advertisements here and various other locations where you have seen announcements for SETGO before. Mr. Piersol's presentation.
Thanks for a your interest and participation in the Art of Science Community, join us again this academic year!!!