How to Apply
Prospective students for the MA, MAT or Dual MA programs should:
- have an undergraduate major in German or
- have a German minor with at least an intermediate-high level of German and/ or a record of study in a German-speaking country.
Applicants who do not meet these requirements may be admitted in exceptional circumstances provided they are willing to make up their deficiencies as specified by the graduate coordinator.
The department looks for a minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 both overall and in German.
Please note that an additional requirement for the MAT program is that it is open only to licensed teachers with at least one year of teaching experience, as the MAT itself does not offer a path to licensure.
To apply, you will need to route your materials in two directions:
To the Graduate College
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: Completing an application for the program will allow you to be considered for financial support. Note the Dual degree applicants must also follow all departmental-level application instructions for the other program.
You must complete an online application for admission to the Graduate College that will include:
- Application fee
- Transcripts, as per instructions in the on-line form
- GRE. For information about the GRE and how to register for the exam, see: http://www.ets.org/gre
- A personal statement: The statement should include your motivation for applying to graduate school, why you see yourself as qualified for admission to this program, what you hope to achieve in your area of interest, and your aspirations following the receipt of the graduate degree.
- A writing sample in German or English: The writing sample should be an academic paper that you wrote in a German class and that you believe reflects your potential for graduate-level study.
- Three  letters of recommendation. At least one of these recommendations should be from someone who will comment on your proficiency in German. At least one should comment on previous and potential academic performance. Note that indicating on the form that you waive your right to see the letters is seen by the evaluation committee in a positive light.
- Optional additional materials. The on-line application allows you to submit additional documents if you would like, such as a resume.
For additional questions, please contact Dr. Edgar Landgraf (email@example.com), Graduate Coordinator in German.