Psychology of Spirituality and Relationships
The Psychology of Spirituality and Relationships website features scientific research on the helpful and harmful roles that religion and spirituality can play in family and close relationships or, in other words, Relational Spirituality.
- Hernandez, K. M. & Annette Mahoney, A. (in press) Sex through a sacred lens: Longitudinal effects of the sanctification of marital sexuality. Journal of Family Psychology. Final article will be available, upon publication, via its DOI: 10.1037/fam0000392.
- Rostosky, S. S., Abreu, R. L., Mahoney, A., & Riggle, E. D. B. (2017). A qualitative study of parenting and religiosity/spirituality in LBGTQ families. Psychology of Religion and Spirituality, 9(4), 437-445. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/rel0000077
- Pargament, K. K., Oman, D., Pomerleau, J. & Mahoney, A. (2017). Some contributions of a psychological approach to the study of the sacred. Religion, 47, Published online: 05 Jun 2017. http://doi.org/10.1080/0048721X.2017.1333205
- Mahoney, A., Abadi, L., & Pargament, K. I. (2015). Tolerate or transform? Exploring women's struggles and resources to cope with intimate partner violence. J. A. Johnson (Ed.), Religion and men's violence again women (pp. 45-59). New York: Springer Publishers.
- Hawley, A. R., Mahoney, A., Pargament, K. I., & Gordon, A. K. (2015). Sexuality and spirituality as predictors of distress over a romantic breakup: Mediated and moderated pathways. Spirituality in Clinical Practice, 2 (2), 145-159. http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/scp0000034
- Also see Journal of Family Psychology Special Sections on Religion and Spirituality in Family Life: Oct. 2014 & Dec. 2014
View Web Casts:
Sacred Connections and Conversations: Insights from Relational Spirituality
RELATIONAL SPIRITUALITY: ADVANCING 21st CENTURY SCIENCE ON FAITH IN DIVERSE FAMILIES Conference held March 2013.
Media Friendly Articles:
- Reaching out to all faiths and families to reduce corporal punishment: How religion relates to corporal punishment.
Society for the Psychology of Religion and Spirituality Newsletter | October 2017
- "A Sacred Union: New Research on the Spiritual Dimensions of Marriage."
- Spring 2013 edition of BGSU Magazine for an article titled State of American Families that features our work on spirituality and family life.
- Relational Spirituality for how we define Relational Spirituality and an overview of research on faith and family life
- Transition to Parenthood Project for information about our Transition to Parenthood Study
- Defining Religion and Spirituality for how we define Religion and Spirituality
- Our Research Team for information about us
Other major sections of website - also see the left-side navigation window of this website
- Our website has three other major sections that provide scientific information about faith and family life. Links to each section are listed below. Each link goes to an overview page that provides a more detailed outline of that section.
- Research Findings for the section of our website that summarizes key empirical findings on relational spirituality, for better and worse
- For Researchers for the section of our website that provides information for conducting studies on relational spirituality, for better and worse
- For Families/Quizzes for the section of our website that has quizzes to take on the relational spirituality of family relationships
Technical note: To enlarge the text that you see, go to your web browser's View button & click Zoom to increase the font displayed.