Undergraduate Research

Students at BGSU have a variety of opportunities for Undergraduate Research. Students work with Chemistry faculty on independent research projects.  Many students work in the lab with graduate students as well as the faculty mentor. Students find that their experience doing Undergraduate Research has helped prepare them for graduate school or jobs in chemical companies after they graduate from BGSU.

Find a Mentor:

To find a faculty mentor for Undergraduate Research, visit the faculty webpages for information about their group's research projects and arrange a meeting via email.


Research Fellowships and Opportunities

Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship 

The Department of Chemistry is planning to award up to five Summer 2024 Undergraduate Research Fellowships for a 10-week research experience.  The stipend for the full 10-week fellowship will be $5,000.  BGSU Chemistry majors who will be returning to BGSU for the Fall 2024 semester are eligible to apply. Preference is for those who have completed the full-year Organic Chemistry sequence.

Applicants must identify a faculty research mentor and work with that mentor to prepare a research project narrative that must be submitted with the application form below.  Deadline for receiving electronic submissions at cable@bgsu.edu is Friday, March 22.

Center for Undergraduate Research: (CURS)

The Center for Undergraduate Research at BGSU offers several opportunities for students to do research throughout the school year and during the summer. Students can receive funding for supplies during the Fall and Spring Semester and up to a $2500 stipend for a 10-week paid summer research fellowship.

Check the CURS website for deadlines
CURS Application

CHEM 4130 Research for Course Credit

Many students choose to get course credit for completing research projects as part of an Independent Study class (CHEM 4130). Students need to meet with potential faculty mentors to discuss the project. To register for CHEM 4130, students need to obtain a form from the Chemistry Department office and get faculty signatures to be added to the course. This needs to be completed before standard add deadlines each semester.

Updated: 02/26/2024 01:27PM