International FAQ

Body introduction

A: Unfortunately, the institutional policy currently only includes fee waivers for domestic applicants. 

A: Review our Graduate Application Deadline page for general guidelines and program specific application and funding deadlines.

A: We require unofficial copies of your translated transcript(s) for the application process. Upon admission to Bowling Green State University, the official copies of your transcript and diploma/graduation certificate are required to be presented to Graduate Admissions. As an option, you may choose to have your documents sent to any evaluator that is NACES accredited, and have the evaluator mail the evaluated transcript to the address below. This will be accepted as the final official document. Here’s a link to their membership roster. BGSU’s preference is World Education Services (WES) or Educational Credential Evaluators (ECE).

Bowling Green State University
200 University Hall
Bowling Green, OH 43403 

Applicants to the Graduate College who have completed a previous degree (associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s or doctorate) from a U.S. college/university, or are from a country listed blow, in which instruction was delivered in English (and attended the university for at least two years) are exempt from providing TOEFL/IELTS/Duolingo test scores. 

If your country is not listed, you are required to submit the test scores: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, Bermuda, Botswana, British Guyana, Canada (Except Quebec), Cayman Islands, Dominica, Eritrea, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), Fiji, Ghana, Grenada, Guam, Guyana, Ireland, Jamaica, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Montserrat, New Zealand, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Singapore, St. Helena, St. Kitts and Nevis, St. Lucia, St. Vincent and the Grenadine, South Africa, Swaziland, Tanzania, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caico Isle, Uganda, United Kingdom, Virgin Islands, Zambia & Zimbabwe

We suggest students attain an 80 on the TOEFL, a 7.0 on the IELTS, or 110 on the Duolingo.

A: Departments have varying requirements for the GRE/GMAT. Please refer to your individual department for the requirements.

A: A cost calculator can be found at on our Bursar’s website to help you determine the overall cost of graduate education.

To be issued an I-20, the document required to present at the visa interview, international students must show proof they have sufficient funds to support themselves while in the USA.  Below is the estimated cost of attendance for graduate students. When applying for an I-20, students are required to provide financial documents that prove they have the necessary funds whether their program requires 9 credit hours per semester, 12 credit hours per semester, or if it is a required one-year program:


International Tuition and Fees

Insurance and Books

Room and Meals

Total Per Academic Year (Fall/Spring)*


(9 credits)






(12 credits)






(1-Year Programs)





A: BGSU will be able to more accurately evaluate if you are ready for college. To upload documents to your application file, please use the Application Status Page and steps shown below.  

  • Click on the Application Status Page 
  • The Log-in page will open.
  • Enter the email address and password used to create your application for admission.
  • Review the Application Checklist.
    • Items with a green X have been received.
    • Items with a red X have not been received.
  • Use the Upload Materials section to upload your required documents.
  • Click the drop-down box to select material type to upload
  • Click the Choose File button to select your document file.
  • Select the Upload button to upload the document file.

A: For pending items or application status, please click on the Application Status Page.

A: International Programs and Partnerships will help you prepare the documents necessary for the form I-20 and guide you through the other parts of the immigration process. Please wait for a next steps email from International Programs and Partnerships and follow the instructions provided in the email.

Please contact the for questions regarding;

  • US I-20 form
  • USA Visa
  • Financial Statement and Supporting Evidence such as a copy of your (or your sponsors) Bank Statements and Affidavits of Support or Certificate of Loan.
  • How to Select the Proper Financial Statement
  • Copy of Passport Information Page

A: We only permit applicants to defer one time.  To submit your request to defer your start term, please go to your application status portal and login.  Look for the Forms area (under the Application Checklist area) and choose Deferral Form (in orange).

A: We only permit applicants to defer once. Since you have already deferred once, you will need to start a new application.  This is a simple process--open your application portal and select New Application.  Complete and submit this application for the new term.  All transcripts and test scores may be transferred to the new application.  Just let us know when your new application is complete and we can move any remaining materials over that you were not able to move yourself.

A: Admission decisions are made by the program faculty using a holistic admissions review process. If you have specific questions about the decision, please contact the department directly. 

A: Most students who receive a graduate assistantship are awarded that opportunity directly from their department after a decision has been made on their application.  You are highly encouraged you to reach out directly to your department for more information about graduate assistantship positions and their application process, if admitted.

Some students find graduate assistantships outside of their academic department.  You can review available assistantships on our website.