JULY 17 – 21, 2023 Apply Now
General Deadline: April 25th, 2023
Are you interested in law and what it takes to become a lawyer? Can you picture yourself in front of a courtroom? Then start your journey now with the BGSU’s Pre-Law Camp and experience what it is like to be a part of the legal community. At Pre-Law Camp you’ll have the chance to hear from law students, law professors, and other legal professionals from a variety of backgrounds and disciplines within the field including criminal law, corporate law, and public interest law. Campers will learn about legal concepts and language, explore a law library, and test their skills in CRITICAL THINKING AND LEGAL WRITING, AND ADVOCACY exercises.
In the event that the in-person day camp does not meet the minimum number of participants to be able to provide an in-person camp the program may opt to switch to offer the camp as a virtual academy. The virtual academy option would be offered at a reduced cost. Please indicate below your preferrence on the camp application.
What kinds of activities do campers get to do?
- Ever wonder what taking an online college course would be like, explore the BGSU Pre Law Virtual Academy and find out.
- Course led by BGSU Faculty, Pre-Law Students, and BGSU Pre-Law graduates
- Prepare for a career in law by learning the basics of the legal profession
- Challenge yourself as you take on a role in the camp's opening in a sample trial.
- Talk with State and Federal Judges and watch a live federal proceeding
- Learn how to research cases and prepare documents
- Meet forensic experts and learn about their role within a case
- Learn about Criminal vs Civil Cases, timelines and components
Who can attend?
For students entering 10th-12th grade in the fall of 2023.
What does the cost cover?
- The cost of $330 dollars (camperships possible) covers the cost of all program supplies and materials, guest lecturers, transportation, and admission to fieldtrips, as well as a program pack full of items for the week.
- Meals included in the cost are continental breakfast items, lunch, and snack daily.
All materials needed for the week long program including all case studies and exercises will be provided. Addtionally a supplemental workbook that includes many of the resources, worksheets, and notes from all of the guest speakers is included.
A Glimpse of some of the items & activities include:
- BGSU® Pre-Law T-Shirt
- Visit a State and Federal Court House
- Pocket Constitution
- Trial Case Materials
- Opening Statement & Closing Argument Activity
- Asking Good Questions Lego Activity
8:45 AM - Check-In and review daily overview; light breakfast snacks provided
9:00 AM - 10:00 AM Welcome & Program Overview
10:00 AM - 11:00 AM Inside the Wood County Court House
11:00 AM - 12:00 PM Insight into the legal profession
12:00 PM - 1:00 PM Lunch in BGSU Dinning Hall
1:00 PM - 4:30 PM Afternoon Critical Thinking and Legal/Public Speaking Exercises
4:45 PM - Daily Close Out and Departure
- Complete the application form & answers to questions
Application Dates & Deadlines
- Early Decision Deadline: March 1st
- Applicants notified by March 15
- General Deadline: April 1st
- Applicants notified by April 15
- All programs, or camps within a program, may be subject to minimum enrollment and may be canceled if enrollment minimum is not met. In the event of a cancelled program all fees and registration costs will be refunded.
- Campers may withdraw their application anytime.
- Deposits are non-refundable
ACCEPTANCE & DEPOSIT
To reserve your seat in camp a $25.00 non-refundable deposit is due within 10 days of receiving your camp acceptance. Participants who do not pay the deposit by the tenth day are removed and placed on the waitlist. A deposit made after the 10th day does not guarantee a seat and must be approved.
- Camp Week: July 17-21, 2023 Payment Due: May 19, 2023
- *Please contact the office to request a payment plan if needed.
Forms will be collected via CampDocs. Information with a link to the site will be sent with your acceptance.
- BGSU Waiver
- BGSU Media Release
- Camp Rules & Policies
If a registration is canceled, the individual or organization making the original CAMP payment will receive:
- Full refund minus deposit if cancelation occurs on or before May 24 , 2023
- 75% refund minus deposit if cancelation occurs 21 days or more to the start of camp.
- 50% refund minus depost if cancelation occurs between 14 days and 21 days to the start of camp.
No refund for a "No Show" or for a cancellation request received 14 days or less prior to the start date of the program. Students dismissed for disciplinary reasons are not eligible for any refund.
Updated: 03/06/2023 02:15PM