Marine Biology: The Life Aquatic at BGSU
Program Dates: July 17-22, 2022
Are you interested in how marine ecosystems work? Do you want to know more about marine animals? BGSU has one of the few marine biology and aquatic science programs in the Midwest where you can explore life at sea! This camp engages students in understanding marine ecology by working closely with the University’s extensive collection of saltwater specimens.
What kinds of activities do campers get to do?
- Field trips to locations around Northwest Ohio to collect organisms
- Design and run an experiment in our new Undergraduate Aquatic Research Lab
- Experience our Marine Lab and learn how to care for aquatic organisms
- Dissections of various aquatic and marine organisms to learn anatomy and physiology
- Behind the scenes trip of the aquarium at the Toledo Zoo
- Meet active professionals in the marine and aquatic sciences to learn what it means to be a marine/aquatic scientist
Who can attend?
For students who will be entering 10th, 11th, & 12th grade in the fall of 2022.
What does the cost cover?
The cost of $865 covers all lodging, meals, transportation for field trips and materials for daily labs and activities including a dissection and aquarium husbandry. Additionally, the cost includes materials such as a camp book bag, water bottle and t-shirt along with counselor and chaperone coverage (day/night) throughout the program.
How can I apply?
Complete the full online form so that we can learn more about you. This camp is a residential camp. Students are expected to stay for the duration of the camp as often times academic and camp programs will occur into the evening hours.
- Participants of age are strongly encouraged to be fully vaccinated for Covid-19 prior to the arrival of camp
- Students will self monitor and alert staff of any new symptoms prior to the start of each day.
- Any student experiencing symptoms or who becomes ill during the program must be able to leave campus the same day and may not be eligible to return circumstances depending.
- Parent/Care taker must be available to remove the camper from the program the same day as illness. BGSU Summer camps and programs will not isolate or quarantine participants other than remaining in their own housing assignment until the arrival of parent/guardian.
- Completing the application form & answers to questions
- Fully completed application
- Responses to short-answer questions
Application Cancellation Policy
- All programs, or camps within a program, may be subject to minimum enrollment and may be canceled if enrollment minimum is not met. In the event of a cancelled program all fees and registration costs will be refunded.
- Campers may withdraw their application at anytime by sending an e-mail to email@example.com
- March 1, 2022 - To be considered for early admission. Applicants notifed by March 18
- April 15, 2022 - General Application Deadline. * Please note that all spaces may fill after selection from the early admission deadline.
ACCEPTANCE & DEPOSIT
To reserve your seat in camp a $75.00 non-refundable deposit is due within 10 days of receiving your camp acceptance. Participants who do not pay the deposit by the tenth day are removed and placed on the waitlist. A deposit made after the 10th day does not guarantee a seat and must be approved
- Camp Week: July 17 Payment Due: May 20
- *Please contact the office to request a payment plan if needed.
Forms will be collected via CampDocs. Information with a link to the site will be sent with your acceptance.
- BGSU Waiver
- BGSU Medical Authorization Form
- BGSU Medical: Permission to Dispense Medication (Used for over the counter medication, tylenol, sinus etc)
- BGSU Media Release
- Camp Rules & Policies
- Review & Complete the Covid-19 protocol awareness form
If a registration is canceled, the individual or organization making the original CAMP payment will receive:
- Full refund minus deposit if cancelation occurs on or before May 20, 2022
- 75% refund minus deposit if cancelation occurs 21 days or more to the start of camp.
- 50% refund minus depost if cancelation occurs between 14 days and 21 days to the start of camp.
- No refund for a "No Show" or for a cancellation request received less than 2 weeks prior to the start date of the program.
Students dismissed for disciplinary reasons are not eligible for any refund.