Forensic Science Camp
June 26 - 30, 2023 Appy Now
Early Consideration Deadline: March 1, 2023
Are you interested in how science is applied to legal investigations? Can you see yourself as a forensic scientist in a courtroom, laboratory, crime scene, classroom, or even morgue? BGSU’s Forensic Science camp gives high school students classroom, laboratory, and field experience in forensics and exposure to a variety of careers. Come learn about this exciting field at BGSU’s cutting-edge forensic science program taught by talented professionals who have even been featured on the hit-show Forensic Files!
BGSU offers a Bachelor of Forensic Science degree with specializations in Drug, DNA and Examination that prepares students for immediate employment after graduation.
What kinds of activities do campers get to do?
- Learn forensic science through college-style lectures with top forensic specialists
- Learn about laboratory work related to DNA analysis, trace evidence, fingerprinting, and blood stain analysis
- Hear from BCI trained experts who will lead camp sessions
- Follow a forensic scientist on a virtual tour through a mock crime scene
- Complete home labs such as print casting, fingerprinting, evidence collection, blood typing and more.
Who can attend?
Students entering 9th, 10th, 11th & 12th grade, interested in learning more about careers in forensic science. We highly encourage (but do not require) students to have completed at least one advanced math or science course prior to camp.
Camp Format & Schedule
The 2023 BGSU Forensic Science Camp will be featured as a Virtual Academy. The camp will consist of an online learning platform that you will gain access to once the camp begins and meetings will take place on Zoom.
Camp Times: 9 AM to Noon Monday through Friday with optional lab sessions from 1 to 2 PM in the afternoon.
Camp materials will be sent out and received prior to the start of camp.
What does the cost cover?
The cost of $210 (camperships possible) covers the entire week of activities, webinars, lectures along with a camp crate filled with activities to do at home. A camp workbook, BGSU Forensic Science T-Shirt and all lab materials needed to complete the mock crime scene will be sent as part of the camp crate. Once accepted a non-refundable deposit is required to secure your spot in camp.
How can I apply?
Complete the full online form so that we can learn more about you. We also require one letter of recommendation, often from a teacher, guidance counselor, coach or youth leader for this camp.
Your reccommendar can send in your letter via the following link: bgsu.edu/falconyouthlor. Applicants will also have the opportunity to include an optional cover letter.
- Completing the application form & answers to questions
- (1) Letter of Recommendation (Required)
- Cover Letter (Optional)
Application Dates & Deadlines
- Early Decision Deadline: March 1, 2023
- First wave applicants will be notified by March 22 of acceptance
- Final Deadline to apply: April 15, 2023
- Final wave applicants will be notified by May 1, 2023
- WAITLIST APPLICANTS will be notified by May 30, 2023
Letter of Reference Requirements
- Applicants should send the following information to the person submitting their letter of reference for them to complete this portion of the application
- Letter of Reference Online Form & Submission Link: bgsu.edu/falconyouthlor
- Fully completed application
- Responses to short-answer questions
- Letter of recommendation
Application Cancellation Policy
- All programs, or camps within a program, may be subject to minimum enrollment and may be canceled if enrollment minimum is not met. In the event of a cancelled program all fees and registration costs will be refunded.
- Campers may withdraw their application at anytime by sending an e-mail to email@example.com
ACCEPTANCE & DEPOSIT
To reserve your seat in camp a $25.00 non-refundable deposit is due within 10 days of receiving your camp acceptance. Participants who do not pay the deposit by the tenth day are removed and placed on the waitlist. A deposit made after the 10th day does not guarantee a seat and must be approved.
- Camp Week June 26 Payment Due May 30, 2023
- *Please contact the office to request a payment plan if needed.
Forms will be collected via CampDocs. Information with a link to the site will be sent with your acceptance.
- BGSU Waiver
- BGSU Media Release
- Camp Rules & Policies
If a registration is canceled, the individual or organization making the original CAMP payment will receive:
Full refund minus deposit if cancelation occurs on or before May 30, 2023.
75% refund minus deposit if cancelation occurs 21 days or more to the start of camp.
50% refund minus depost if cancelation occurs between 14 days and 21 days to the start of camp.
No refund for a "No Show" or for a cancellation request received less than 2 weeks prior to the start date of the program. Students dismissed for disciplinary reasons are not eligible for any refund.
Updated: 11/23/2022 09:13AM