Forensic Science Camp
June 20 - 24, 2022
Application Opens December 1st
Early Consideration Deadline: March 1st
REGISTRATION NOW CLOSED
Are you interested in how science is applied to legal investigations? Can you see yourself as a forensic scientist in a courtroom, laboratory, crime scene, classroom, or even morgue? BGSU’s Forensic Science camp gives high school students classroom, laboratory, and field experience in forensics and exposure to a variety of careers in forensics. Come learn about this exciting field at BGSU’s cutting-edge forensic science program taught by talented professionals who have even been featured on the hit-show Forensic Files! We have expanded our camp by adding an additional day!!
BGSU offers a Bachelor of Forensic Science degree with specializations in Biology, Chemistry and Examination that prepares students for immediate employment after graduation.
What kinds of activities do campers get to do?
- Study forensic science through college-style lectures with top forensic specialists
- Learn about laboratory work related to DNA analysis, trace evidence, fingerprinting, and blood stain analysis
- Virtual Tour the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation Lab
- Learn from experienced and excited forensics scientists working there
- Study a mock crime scene collecting and analyzing evidence
Who can attend?
Students entering 9th, 10th, 11th & 12th grade, interested in learning more about careers in forensic science. We highly encourage (but do not require) students to have completed at least one advanced math or science course prior to camp.
Camp Format & Schedule
The 2022 BGSU Forensic Science Camp will be featured as a Virtual Academy. Camp will consist of a camp module platform that you will have access to once the camp begins and camp meeting sessions will take place via Zoom. Camp days run Monday through Friday from 9 AM - noon and some afternoons from 1-2. With guest speakers and home labs in the afternoons . There will be at home labs and case material for students to work on between camp sessions.
What does the cost cover?
The cost of $195 covers the entire week of activities, webinars, lectures and support for the full week, along with a camp crate filled with Forensic Activities you can do at home. A camp workbook, BGSU Forensic Science Virtual Camp T-Shirt and all materials needed to complete the mock crime scene will be sent as part of the packet. Once accepted a non-refundable deposit is required to secure your spot in camp.
How can I apply?
First, complete the full online form so that we can learn more about you. We also require one letter of recommendation, often from a teacher, guidance counselor, coach or youth leader for this camp. Your reccommendar can send in your letter via the following link: bgsu.edu/falconyouthlor. Applicants will also have the opportunity to include an optional cover letter.
This camp will be offered as a virtual camp for the 2022 season.
- Completing the application form & answers to questions
- (1) Letter of Recommendation (Required)
- Cover Letter (Optional)
Application Dates & Deadlines
- Early Decision Deadline: March 1, 2022
- First wave applicants will be notified by March 22 of acceptance
- Final Deadline to apply: April 15, 2022
- Final wave applicants will be notified by May 1, 2022
- WAITLIST APPLICANTS will be notified by May 30, 2022
Letter of Reference Requirements
- Applicants should send the following information to the person submitting their letter of reference for them to complete this portion of the application
- Letter of Reference Online Form & Submission Link: bgsu.edu/falconyouthlor
- Fully completed application
- Responses to short-answer questions
- Letter of recommendation
Application Cancellation Policy
- All programs, or camps within a program, may be subject to minimum enrollment and may be canceled if enrollment minimum is not met. In the event of a cancelled program all fees and registration costs will be refunded.
- Campers may withdraw their application at anytime by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
ACCEPTANCE & DEPOSIT
To reserve your seat in camp a $25.00 non-refundable deposit is due within 10 days of receiving your camp acceptance. Participants who do not pay the deposit by the tenth day are removed and placed on the waitlist. A deposit made after the 10th day does not guarantee a seat and must be approved.
- Camp Week June 20 Payment Due May 20
- *Please contact the office to request a payment plan if needed.
Forms will be collected via CampDocs. Information with a link to the site will be sent with your acceptance.
- BGSU Waiver
- BGSU Media Release
- Camp Rules & Policies
If a registration is canceled, the individual or organization making the original CAMP payment will receive:
Full refund minus deposit if cancelation occurs on or before May 20, 2022.
75% refund minus deposit if cancelation occurs 21 days or more to the start of camp.
50% refund minus depost if cancelation occurs between 14 days and 21 days to the start of camp.
No refund for a "No Show" or for a cancellation request received less than 2 weeks prior to the start date of the program. Students dismissed for disciplinary reasons are not eligible for any refund.
Updated: 04/27/2022 01:29PM