College Writing: Theory and Practice (online)
About the Certificate
The College Writing: Theory and Practice certificate program is offered and can be completed entirely online and provides advanced knowledge of theory and research guiding current best practices in teaching college writing.
This 18-hour graduate certificate program is designed for professionals working in a field aligned with the teaching of college writing courses, especially professional educators who need to stay current in their knowledge and skills in contemporary research and best practices in teaching writing to remain competitive in their current positions and/or expand their career horizons.
Click on the image to visit an information sheet with additional details about the certificate program.
Graduates of the College Writing: Theory and Practice program will be able to:
- Implement the writing processes that would be expected of students doing college writing.
- Evaluate current approaches to teaching writing that are informed by disciplinary best practices, research findings, and theories about writing.
- Integrate course concepts in developing curricula for teaching writing in specific contexts.
Stand-alone or Paired
This certificate can be completed alone or paired with another graduate degree program in a number of ways. A student can:
- Complete the College Writing certificate program as a stand-alone graduate certificate of 18 credit hours.
- Complete the College Writing certificate program and continue into an MA in English program at BGSU. Hours earned for the certificate can count concurrently with many of our MA in English programs.
- Complete the College Writing certificate program concurrently with other graduate degrees in English at BGSU.
- Enroll in a master's program at BGSU outside of English and earn the College Writing Graduate Certificate alongside their other degree, with permission of the student's original graduate degree program.
Follow the links below to learn more about BGSU's Graduate Certificate in College Writing: Theory and Practice or to begin an application: