Bowling Green State University (BGSU) has an ever-increasing need for data that are accurate and consistent, accessible, and secure. Such data are essential for evaluating core mission-related initiatives and ensure continued quality improvement. The University's leaders need timely and accurate information about all aspects of university operations to better inform decisions.
Meeting this increasing demand for data is a growing challenge for the Office of Institutional Research. This is partly due to the successful implementation of disparate systems that now contain extensive and new types of data. Accessing this information requires the integration of accurate and consistent information across multiple units, reliable and appropriate data security, and attention to the data culture, including oversight and training.
All of the data analytics and interactive dashboards on this website are defined and developed according to national data standards vetted by the University’s Data Governance Council.
Guiding Principles of Data Governance
Our guiding principles of data governance are as follow:
- Institutional data are valuable assets and it should be secured
- Develop and maintain data quality
- Provide access to accurate and consistent data for informed decision making
- Follow defined national data standards for research intensive university
- Protect the privacy of an individual's information
- Establish a data glossary of terms