WELCOME TO BGSU!
We are excited to have you join us for orientation. Participation in orientation is required, as it is a critical piece of your successful transition to BGSU. Throughout the program you will learn more about the BGSU community, academic and co-curricular expectations, and opportunities to shape your experience.
The Virtual orientation day will begin at 10 a.m. EDT online through Zoom. There will be a variety of sessions, opportunities to connect with staff and Orientation Leaders, and time to get your questions answered. There will be plenty of breaks throughout the day and you will receive an email with the Zoom link a week before your orientation day and another reminder two days before your orientation day. You should expect your day to conclude around 4 p.m. EDT.
You will have an opportunity to connect with current students, as well as staff members and get to know some of new fellow Falcons. You will have an Orientation Leader who will lead you through your orientation experience and continue to be a resource throughout the summer and Fall Welcome.
- As soon as possible | Send official transcripts or scores to the Office of Admissions for any college-level classes you have already completed. This includes College Credit Plus courses and Advanced Placement (AP) Credit.
- As soon as possible | File the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and learn more about the financial aid process at BGSU.
- As soon as possible | Direct Student Loan Borrowers, sign your Master Promissory Note (MPN) and complete Entrance Counseling at studentaid.gov.
- As soon as possible | Download the Navigate app and create your account using your BGSU username and password.
- Due before orientation | Take your Writing Placement and Math Placement online
- Due before orientation | Delegate Access to a parent or support person
- Due before orientation | Check your Action Items in your MyBGSU > Student Center for completion
- Due before orientation | Complete the Financial Responsibility Agreement and update your contact information
- Due before orientation | Submit your photo for your BG1 Card
- Due the day after you attend orientation | Waive/enroll in the Student Health Insurance plan.
We Can't Wait to Meet you!
Your Virtual New Student Orientation will begin at 10 a.m. EDT online through Zoom. Please plan to login 15 minutes early to ensure you have a good connection before the day begins.
If you do not have a Zoom account and the most recent version downloaded to the device, we recommend doing this before your orientation date.
Important Tech Tips
- Make sure your computer is up to date. You don't want unexpected updates to slow you down.
- A quiet, distration-free location in your home will be the ideal place for you to participate in virtual orientation.
- We recommend using a desktop computer or laptop to attend virtual orientation to ensure the best experience. If you are using a laptop with unreliable WiFi, we recommend plugging your laptop directly into your internet using an ethernet cable to ensure the fastest and most reliable connection.
- It's important that your device is connected to a power source for the entire event so you do not lose battery during orientation.
Signing up for Classes & Academic Planning
At BGSU, students are assigned an Academic and Career Planning Specialist as part of their journey of becoming a Falcon. Our specialists support you in achieving academic, personal and professional goals and work with you to develop an ongoing partnership prior to orientation to ensure this partnership continues throughout your time at the University.
Prior to your SOAR date, you will receive communication from the specialist team through your BGSU email to gather more information and help build your class schedule. They will take into consideration information about your interests, goals, major requirements, previous college credit, placement exams and BG perspective requirements.
It's important to understand that course scheduling will happen both before and after your orientation date. You will not meet with your Academic and Career Planning Specialist during orientation.
Taking Care of the Bill
A big step towards becoming a Falcon is understanding how to pay your bill. orientation is a great time to finalize your financial aid, submit any outside scholarships you may have received over the summer and connect with a financial aid advisor to answer any questions you may have.
Financial Aid Next Steps
- Review you financial aid snapshot. If you are receiving financial aid, you will be emailed a financial aid snapshot before your orientation date. This will include an outline of your financial aid and an estimate of your fall bill.
- Didn't receive a financial aid snapshot? Be sure you have submitted a 2021-2022 FAFSA and check your To Do List for outstanding documentation BGSU may need.
- Delegate Access to a parent or support person through Access BGSU. Access BGSU provides students the ability to share important data such as Financial Aid, Billing/Payment information, Action Items and Grades with designated proxy (parent, guardian, spouse, etc.).
- Accept, Decline or Reduce Direct Federal Loans you were offered. You can do this in your MyBGSU or with Student Financial Aid & Scholarships when you visit campus.
- Apply for the Parent PLUS Loan if a parent is planning on borrowing the federal loan. Get started at studentaid.gov.
Paying the Bill
- Complete your Financial Responsibility Agreement before coming to orientation. This is required to be completed before you can register for classes or finalize your financial aid.
- Get to know your payment options. Whether you're paying with financial aid, a payment plan, a colleges saving account or a little bit of everything, getting to know our payment options will help prepare you when fall bills come out on July 1.
Updated: 01/19/2022 08:12AM