Bowling Green State University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Educator and Employer. The Kuhlin Hub for Career Design and Connections supports employers recruiting for full-time (off-campus and seasonal), part-time (permanent), and experiential learning (clinical, cooperative education, internship, and practicum) positions. All employers must register and have an approved account on our recruitment platform, Handshake, to utilize the Kuhlin Hub for Career Design and Connection's resources and services. If you need assistance during the registration process, please contact the Kuhlin Hub for Career Design and Connections team.
Please review the following polices to aid in your recruitment efforts for these positions.
Disclosure of Student Information Policies:
Employers are not permitted to disclose student information under any circumstances to other entities without the student's prior written consent.
Event Fee Cancellation and No Show Policies:
Registered organizations will receive a full refund of registration fees for cancellations made by the designated cancellation deadline in Handshake, as noted under the event information. Due to the cost of meals, room rental fees, and other associated expenses, organizations that cancel after the cancellation deadline or fail to show the day of the event will be required to pay the full registration fee.
Handshake Posting Policies:
The Kuhlin Hub for Career Design and Connections will NOT list an opportunity if the following occurs:
- Work assignment interferes with or negatively affects the academic progress of a student, or the employing organization requires or encourages a student to discontinue his or her academic program of study
- Student is required to purchase or rent any type of sales kit or presentation supplies
- Student is required to pay a nonrefundable fee for training or to participate in a work experience
- Student is assessed any sort of fee for the work placement
- Student is employed by a private individual such as a caregiver, tutor, or family-owned business
- Student is compensated only by commission including independent contractor positions
- Position involves on campus solicitation, posting of materials, or sales of products or services not authorized by the University
State and Federal Hiring Guidelines:
The Kuhlin Hub for Career Design and Connections expects employers to adhere to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Guidelines and offer employment without regard to race, sex, gender identity, genetic information, gender expression, sexual orientation, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, age, marital status, disability, pregnancy, military status, or status as a Special Disabled or Vietnam-era veteran.
Employers are expected to abide by and comply with all EEO Prohibited Employment Policies and Practices and federally mandated Employment Laws, as well as the University's Equal Education Opportunity Guidelines.
Student Interview No Show Policies:
The Kuhlin Hub for Career Design and Connections implements the following interview no show policy for students and alumni and requires employers to report any interview no shows to staff:
Students and alumni are expected to attend all confirmed, scheduled interviews. If a legitimate emergency has prevented a candidate from attending a scheduled interview, there is no penalty to the candidate. However, if the candidate’s explanation for the absence is not excusable, their Handshake account will be deactivated and they will be required to write a formal apology letter to the recruiter in order to reactivate Handshake. They also will meet with a Kuhlin Hub for Career Design and Connections staff member to discuss the consequences of their absence and to determine further action. Once the Kuhlin Hub for Career Design and Connections consultation takes place and the apology letter is submitted, a decision will be made regarding reinstatement of Handshake access.
Third Party Recruiter Policies:
If posting on behalf of a client company, employers also must adhere to the following:
- Adhere to all Kuhlin Hub for Career Design and Connections Handshake posting policies
- Provide the name of the represented employer for each position
- Participate in Bowling Green State University job fairs or on campus recruitment only when you are recruiting for current positions within your own organization
Unpaid Internship Policies:
The Department of Labor has developed a seven-factor test for determining whether workers are to be considered "trainees" or "employees" that must be paid at least minimum wage under the Fair Labor Standard Act (FLSA). To list with the Career Center as an unpaid internship, the office will consider the following criteria:
- The extent to which the intern and the employer clearly understand that there is no expectation of compensation. Any promise of compensation, express or implied, suggests that the intern is an employee—and vice versa.
- The extent to which the internship provides training that would be similar to that which would be given in an educational environment, including the clinical and other hands-on training provided by educational institutions.
- The extent to which the internship is tied to the intern’s formal education program by integrated coursework or the receipt of academic credit.
- The extent to which the internship accommodates the intern’s academic commitments by corresponding to the academic calendar.
- The extent to which the internship’s duration is limited to the period in which the internship provides the intern with beneficial learning.
- The extent to which the intern’s work complements, rather than displaces, the work of paid employees while providing significant educational benefits to the intern.
- The extent to which the intern and the employer understand that the internship is conducted without entitlement to a paid job at the conclusion of the internship.
Withdrawal or Denial of Services:
Employers that violate any of the Kuhlin Hub for Career Design and Connections state, or federal policies or have been judged by a court of law in the United States to be engaged in illegal activities are prohibited from using the Kuhlin Hub for Career Design and Connection’s services.
For additional information about our recruiting policies, please contact the Kuhlin Hub for Career Design and Connections at 419-372-2356 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Updated: 12/22/2023 04:09PM