Graduate Application Process

Graduate Degree and Certificate-seeking student

Applicants must have graduated with a baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university or complete the degree prior to enrollment. Students are advised to apply at least six months in advance for admission. International students should allow more time for the application process. All credentials submitted to BGSU become the property of BGSU and will not be released. The application for admission to the Graduate College should be submitted along with:

  • $45 nonrefundable application fee for domestic applicants; $75 for international applicants. The application fee is automatically waived for McNair Scholars, U.S. Military Veterans, and returned Peace Corps Volunteers.
  • Scanned copies of official or unofficial transcripts from all institutions attended. Upon admission, final official or notarized copies of transcripts from all institutions where degrees were earned (showing dates when the degrees were conferred) and diplomas from international institutions must be submitted.
  • Standardized test scores (GRE, GMAT, PRAXIS, OAE) may be required. Please visit the program website for additional information.
  • Programs may also require recommendations, a statement of purpose, a resume, or other documents. Please visit the program website for additional information.
  • International applicants are required to submit scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Successful completion of ELS 112 will also be accepted for this requirement. Please see exceptions below.
  • If you plan to apply to more than one program, you must submit a separate application and application fee for each. 

Please visit the Graduate College's website to apply or for additional information. Questions regarding the application procedure should be directed to the Graduate College, 120 McFall Center (419-372-2791).

Graduate Non-Degree-seeking student

A Graduate Non-Degree student is defined as a student who has earned a 4-year degree and who wishes to enroll in graduate or undergraduate-level courses without pursuing another degree. There is no application fee. The student is not limited to the number of credit hours taken at BGSU; however, only 9 graduate credit hours will transfer to a graduate degree program. 

When submitting a Graduate Non-Degree application, please allow 4 business days for processing. Confirmation will be sent to your email address once the application has been processed. Applicants who have indicated a felony conviction will be notified within 1 business day of any additional information that may be required. Apply Here to be a Graduate Non-Degree Seeking student.

Eligibility for Financial Aid as a Graduate Non-Degree student

In most instances, Graduate Non-Degree students are NOT eligible for federal financial aid. For example, students taking classes in order to raise their GPA in order to be admitted into a graduate program are not eligible for federal student loans. Students who are taking courses while waiting to be admitted into a graduate program or if the school is waiting for your GRE test scores are also not eligible for federal student loans.

To determine your eligibility for Federal Financial Aid, please review the Student Financial Aid (SFA) Guest Student or Graduate Non-Degree Review Form (click OTHER DOCUMENTS to expand). Additional questions may be directed to the SFA office at 419-372-2651.

Teacher Certification/Licensure Coursework

A student cannot receive federal financial aid for optional courses the student elects to take for professional recognition or advancement. This includes taking courses for advanced educator licensure or endorsements, or for initial courses recommended by the school by not required for certification/licensure or renewal/re-licensure.

A student may receive Federal Direct Loans if enrolled (at least six credit hours) in a required teacher certification/licensure program. To qualify, the program must be required for initial PK-12 teacher certification/licensure of renewal/re-licensure in the State of Ohio.

Licensure instructions for Non-Degree

Online Graduate Non-Degree Application

For further information, send email to:

[Please include your name and BGSU I.D.# in all correspondence.]

Last Updated: 4/4/19