String Auditions will take place on Monday, August 21. Sign-up sheets will be posted on the board outside the Orchestra office, room 1006/1008 on Friday, August 18 at 9 a.m. Rooms will be assigned and listed on the sign-up sheet. Dr. Emily Freeman Brown and members of the string faculty will hear these auditions.
Orchestral Wind and Brass Auditions will take place Sunday evening, August 20 and Monday late afternoon, August 21. Sign-up sheets will be posted on the board outside the Orchestra office, room 1006/1008 on Friday, August 18 at 9 a.m. Rooms will be assigned and listed on the sign-up sheet. Percussion Auditions will take place on Sunday, August 20 between 12:00 and 5:00 p.m. Dr. Emily Freeman Brown and other faculty will hear the auditions, with input from the applied faculty.
Orchestra is open to all BGSU students by audition.
Fall 2017 Audition Schedule
Friday, August 18
9:00 a.m. Audition sign-up sheets are posted outside room 1006. Everyone auditions every year. Please sign up as soon as you can in order to facilitate scheduling and organization.
Sunday, August 20
12:30-5:00 p.m. Percussion Auditions, room 1012. All percussion students are required to arrive at 12:00 noon for set-up and return at 5:00 for tear-down.
5:00-10:30 pm: Orchestral Wind auditions, room 1040. Please audition for any auxiliary instrument you may play such as piccolo or bass clarinet using additional time slots.
Monday, August 21
1:30-4:45 pm: String auditions. Rooms to be assigned outside room 1006.
4:00-6:00 pm: Dr. Brown finishes orchestra wind/percussion auditions for those who did not play an audition on Sunday.
Tuesday, August 22
Afternoon/evening: Ensemble rosters are posted on the board outside of room 1012.
Fall 2017 Audition Materials
- Please bring a prepared solo with contrasting lyrical and technical passages that best demonstrate your musicianship and technical mastery.
- Download the excerpts posted below for your instrument. Violinists may select either violin I or II according to their preference. Make sure that you listen to the excerpts so that you know the correct tempos and style.
Winds, Brass and Percussion:
- Download the excerpts posted below for your instrument/s. Please prepare all excerpts. Please make sure that you listen to the excerpts so that you know the correct tempos and style.
- Bring a prepared solo to perform in addition to the excerpts.
- Percussionists: Auditions will be on Sunday, August 20, from 12:30-5:00 pm in Kelly Band Hall (Room 1012). All students are required to arrive at 12:00 for set-up and to return at 5:00 pm for tear-down. Please contact Dr. Daniel Piccolo for additional information at email@example.com
- Notes for the auditions: When playing the excerpts it is not necessary to count through rests that are longer than a bar or two. Strive for good counting, rhythm, intonation and the correct style for each piece.
Updated: July 26, 2017