Everyone who wants to be in the BG Philharmonia needs to audition.
Orchestra auditions will take place at the beginning of the fall semester.
Woodwinds and Brass Orchestra Auditions: Sunday, August 21 beginning at 5:00 p.m. A sign-up sheet will be posted outside Room 1008 on Friday, August 19th at 9:00 a.m. This year oboes will audition first by special request of the professor and then will follow with flutes and all other sections in 'score order'.
Percussion Auditions: Sunday, August 21 from 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m in Kelly Hall. All students should arrive at 11:00 am for set-up and return at 5:00 pm for tear-down.
String Auditions: Monday, August 22, beginning at 1:00 p.m. A sign-up sheet will be posted outside Room 1008 on Friday, August 19 at 9:00 p.m.
BG Philharmonia Audition Instructions
-please read carefully-
Preparing your Orchestra Audition Excerpts
- Download and print out the excerpts if desired or use them on your device.
- Listen to a recording while following the excerpts to learn tempo and musical style.
- Contact your teacher if you have any questions.
Prepare all excerpts posted for your instrument. The audition committee will select which ones you perform at the audition.
Everyone brings a prepared solo to the audition. You will play a passage from it as requested by the faculty present.
ALL HORN PLAYERS must prepare the Exposition of Mozart's Horn Concerto No. 2, K. 417 in E-flat as their solo.
How to prepare your String Audition Excerpts
- All the string excerpts are from Antonin Dvorak's Symphony No. 9 "From the New World"
- Download your excerpts and print if desired or use on your device.
- Listen to a recording while following the music to learn the tempos
- Learn the fingerings, and bowings; the pitches and rhythms very carefully.
- Listen to a recording again
- Contact your private teacher if you have any questions.
Bass Clarinet Excerpts
Oboe/English Horn Excerpts
Tenor Trombone Excerpts
Bass Trombone Excerpts
Violin I Excerpts
Violin II Excerpts
Updated: 07/25/2022 01:50PM