Creative Arts Program
At this time, BGSU COVID-19 protocol requires wearing a face covering in all classroom, studio, lab, and office spaces on campus.
Founded in the early 1960s, the Creative Arts Program has served Northwest Ohio for decades in providing music opportunities and resources for the community. Serious or amateur musicians of all ages are invited to study the wonderful world of music with our internationally-known music faculty and students in private or group lessons.
Through this outreach program, the College of Musical Arts achieves its mission in part by serving “the University community and Northwest Ohio as a cultural and artistic resource.” The Creative Arts Program also provides opportunities for college music students to gain teaching experience of younger students within the music facilities.
Students registered for lessons with the Creative Arts Program will also receive benefits like discounted tickets for BGSU College of Musical Arts performances.
Group Beginning Violin Class 8 sessions, 3-3:30PM
- Learn the parts to your violin and bow, how to hold your instrument, and start playing simple tunes! No prior experience necessary. A violin and bow is needed. Contact Caroline Chin for help in acquiring an instrument of the correct size.
Fee: $80/January 15 –April 30, contact Caroline Chin at email@example.com
Instrumental Private Lessons
- Study with a College of Musical Arts faculty member or a highly qualified College of Musical Arts student
- Perform in a public recital at the Moore Musical Arts Center’s Bryan Hall each semester
Payment, specific lesson times and days are scheduled with the individual instructor. It is the student's responsibility to provide their own instrument and lesson books.
Music Theory Prep Classes
- Get a head start on your undergraduate music curriculum by learning the Fundamentals of Music Theory now.
- Group classes and private tutoring available
Group String Classes 8 sessions, 3:30-4:30PM
- Make music with friends, strengthen your rhythm, and learn an ensemble piece to perform in the Creative Arts Spring Recital. All levels are welcome. Private lessons on your instrument are highly recommended for the best experience. Beginning Violin Class participants are welcome to stay for some or all of the Group Strings Class. This program is designed to benefit string players taking private lessons and/or participating in a youth orchestra (in the community or at school).
Fee: $120/January 15 –April 30, contact Caroline Chin at firstname.lastname@example.org
Dates for Group Lessons
- Jan 15 Kelly Hall
- Feb 5 Kelly Hall MISMATCH DAY
- Feb 12 Kelly Hall VALENTINE SWEETS DAY (Play games and earn treats)
- Mar 5 Kelly Hall
- Mar 19 Kelly Hall CRAZY HAIR DAY
- Apr 2 Kelly Hall
- Apr 23 Bryan Hall
- Apr 30 Bryan Hall Creative Arts Spring Recital (3PM)
(Caregivers of children under 8 years old are required to attend class.)
At this time, BGSU COVID-19 protocol requires wearing a face covering in allclassroom,studio,lab, and office spaces on campus.
Creative Arts Program Events
Parking at the Moore Musical Arts Center
The Moore Musical Arts Center is located on Willard Drive, between Ridge Street and E Merry Avenue in Bowling Green.
Weekdays after 6 p.m. and on the weekends, parking is free in all surrounding lots.
Lot N (in front of the Wolfe Center for the Arts on Ridge Street) allows free parking after 5 p.m. on weekdays. On the south side of Lot N (close to Jerome library), there is also a paid parking station, where you can pay to park before 5 p.m.
Please be aware of campus parking rules and regulations. The Creative Arts Program is not responsible for parking tickets. Please visit the parking services website for complete information.
Professional artists have a master’s degree or equivalent in music and have extensive teaching and performing experience.
Student artists are BGSU College of Musical Arts students pursuing their bachelor, master, or doctorate degree, and have prior teaching and performing experience. Student artist instructors vary by term. All Student Artists must receive an endorsement from a BGSU faculty member before teaching in the Creative Arts Program.
- Both Professional Artists and Student Artists must be approved to teach by the Creative Arts Program Coordinator.
- All Student Artists must apply to the Creative Arts Program Coordinator and be recommended by a faculty member before being allow to participate. Inquiries should be sent to the Creative Arts Program Coordinator.
- As the majority of students taking lessons in CAP are minors, an FBI/BCI background check is also required of all instructors (College of Musical Arts faculty do not need to initiate a FBI/BCI background check as this was completed for their initial employment at BGSU).
- A background check is required every four years unless there is a 12-month break in service, then a background check is required to resume work with minors. Refer to University Policy 3341-6-547 (Programs and Activities with Minor Participants) section F.3.
- Participation fees are $65 for the first year of instruction and $25 for each subsequent year.
- Participation fees are paid through the eMarket link on the College of Musical Arts website.
- Fees are current for the academic year in which they are paid (fall, spring, summer).
Professor Caroline Chin, Coordinator
Phone: (419) 372-2093
Updated: 01/12/2022 10:56AM