College of Musical Arts: Student Handbook

Academic Honesty

It is the conviction of the University and its faculty that cheating and plagiarism are destructive to the central purposes of the University and are universally disapproved.

Academic honesty violations as defined in The Student Handbook are as follows:


Using or attempting to use unauthorized materials, information or study aids in any academic exercise;

using the same paper or assignment (or major portions thereof) in more than one class without permission;

using another person to take an exam.


altering a grade, schedule change form or academic record; forging another person’s signature


offering a bribe or making a threat regarding academic work


Falsification or invention of any information OR citation in an academic exercise;

Facilitating academic dishonesty: Helping or attempting to help another to commit an act of academic dishonesty.

Plagiarism: Representing the words or ideas (or music/performance) of another as one’s own in any academic exercise. This includes quoting and/or paraphrasing without proper citation.

A full statement of the University’s Academic Honesty Policy is contained in the BGSU Student Code of The Student Handbook. The section covers definitions, jurisdiction, procedures, penalties, due process, and appeals. The policy is established to protect the integrity of the University and the rights of students. Questions may be addressed to the Office of the Dean at the CMA.

Academic Assistance

Your academic and musical progress is important to the faculty and administrators of the College of Musical Arts. We want you to succeed to the very highest level of your ability. In order to accomplish this, we suggest that you consider such actions as these:

  • Carefully assess your goals.
  • Manage your time effectively.
  • Be regular in class attendance.
  • Seek assistance with study skills.
  • Take full advantage of the many academic and personal counseling services available on campus.
  • Avoid over-committing yourself.
  • Promote your physical health through good diet, adequate rest and sufficient exercise.
  • Stay in touch with your teachers.
  • When you need help, ask for it!

The College of Musical Arts provides a full range of resources and makes every effort to help students develop to the fullest extent of their abilities. Academic advisement is provided by each of the College’s three departments. (The BMA students are advised through the Dean’s office.) Student appointments for these services are to be made through the appropriate departmental secretary in the College Office. Students should meet with their department advisor once each semester.

Students are reminded that they are ultimately responsible for their own education. However, questions and concerns occasionally arise about student-faculty relationships in courses, including ensembles and studio instruction. Students may discuss these matters with the persons listed below. It is important to try to begin discussion directly with the course instructor, the person most knowledgeable about the student’s work. If it is difficult or otherwise impractical to initiate discussion with the instructor, the student should consult the next person(s) listed, remembering that each of these persons will be likely to assume that conversation will have first occurred with those listed ahead of him or her:

  • Course Instructor
  • Coordinator
  • Department Chair
  • Assistant or Associate Dean
  • Dean

Students are also reminded that the Student Advisory Committee, with elected representatives from various College of Musical Arts areas of study, meets regularly with the Dean. The Committee exists to permit understanding and esprit de corps within the College and to provide liaison between the Dean and students. Suggestions, questions and concerns may be directed to any member of the Committee.

Sources of Additional Help

International Student Services

The Learning Commons, in the Jerome Library assists students with test-taking, note-taking, writing, mathematics, time management and other study tips. They also provide tutors for any university course. Meet with a tutor individually or team up with friends and classmates to get the helpful hints which may just make a “grade a” difference.

The BGSU Counseling Center, 104 College Park office building, offers a variety of free services including individual and group counseling, alcohol and drug prevention, student advocacy and stress workshops. This is a great resource and students are encouraged to take advantage of this service for problems big and small.
back to top


Grade and Absence Appeals

Questions concerning the appeals process should be directed to the chair of the department in which the student is majoring. The grade appeals procedure must be started by the end of the fifth week of the regular spring semester for grades received during fall semester and by the end of the fifth week of fall semester for grades received during the spring or summer semesters.

Other Appeals

Information about other appeals is contained in the BGSU Student Code. Questions should be referred to the Assistant or Associate Dean.

For more information on grade appeals, please see the BGSU catalog. You will need to scroll to the bottom of the Grade Policies for information on appeals.
back to top

College Recital Hour    

Friday afternoons from 2:30–3:20 p.m. are reserved for College of Musical Arts convocations. The convocation hour schedule is posted at the beginning of each semester.

In order to provide varied listening opportunities as well as opportunities for performance, approximately every other week the convocation hour is devoted to a College Recital. On most alternating weeks performance seminars, organized by studio teachers or area coordinators, are held. Concurrently, seminars are also held for composition majors.

Scheduling procedures for appearances on College Recitals are explained in this Handbook under Scheduling. See your studio teacher to schedule seminar appearances.

The scheduling of seminars is at the discretion of coordinators of the various areas of music performance and composition. Attendance is mandatory for those taking applied music instruction. (Note: College Recitals count for recital attendance, but seminars do not count toward the 10 attendances required for a satisfactory grade in MUS 099.)

Please refer to the MUS 099 Syllabus on Canvas for more information.
back to top

Competitions in Music Performance and Composition

The College of Musical Arts sponsors annual competitions in solo performance, chamber music, composition, and art song for both graduate and undergraduate students. Further information can be found here.
back to top

Copyright Law

The copyright law of the United States (Title XVII, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions (e.g. recordings) of copyrighted material. Photocopies or other reproductions are authorized under certain conditions specified in the law. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research. If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of “fair use,” that use may be liable for copyright infringement.

BGSU reserves the right to refuse a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law. Major prohibitions under the law include:

copying to create or replace or substitute for anthologies, compilations or collective works.

copying of or from works intended to be “consumable” in the course of study or teaching such as workbooks, exercises, standard tests answer sheets and like material.

copying for the purpose of performance (except for emergency copying).

copying for the purpose of substituting for the purchase of music except for emergency copying or for academic purposes other than performance.

copying without inclusion of the copyright notice on the printed copy.

charging students beyond the actual cost involved in making copies as permitted above.

Please read more here about copyright.
back to top

Excused Absences

Most music students will from time to time be excused from classes for school sponsored performances or field experience off campus. Officially sanctioned tours and field trips are to be considered part of regular requirements of the ensemble or course; except that students shall have the right to be excused from appearances in religious institutions or other locations where their personal beliefs may be violated, and student participation during University recesses shall be voluntary. (Any request for an excused absence must be submitted well in advance.) Although you may be excused from class attendance on a given day, you are not excused from making up any work missed. It is your responsibility to:

know and meet all course requirements, including tests, assignments and class participation, as indicated by the course instructor;

notify instructors in advance, preferably at least one week, of your impending absence;

inquire about work that will be missed and the procedure for satisfactory make-up.

As much as possible, resolve conflicts early, particularly those with performing ensembles. Remember that the responsibility for making up work missed during absence is yours! back to top


Please consult this page for the current instructional and equipment fees at the College of Musical Arts.

Ensemble fees over 18 Credit Hours

The College of Musical Arts offers a variety of large and small ensemble opportunities for BGSU students. Ensembles have correlates in the professional/educational world following graduation and utilize the student's principal performance medium in addition to fulfillment of degree requirements for ensemble participation. Elective ensembles exist for curricular, pedagogical, cultural, or enrichment opportunities for both music majors and non-majors, and often include a required service component to the CMA and BGSU. Undergraduate students are responsible to cover the cost of their first and/or required ensemble, even if this enrollment takes them over 18 credit hours. Any additional ensemble registrations for any ensemble, (a course with “E” designation) regardless of major, that incurs an excess credit hour fee will have the fee waived or credited to their account. Registration must be completed by the end of the second week of classes. 

back to top

Graduate Studies

Many students elect to continue their education immediately upon receiving a bachelor’s degree. Students interested in pursuing a master’s degree should apply to graduate school early in the senior year. Students planning graduate study at BGSU must apply through both the Graduate College in McFall Center and the College of Musical Arts.

The Master of Music degree program encompasses six emphases: ethnomusicology, music composition, choral music education, instrumental music education, music history, music performance and music theory. The music education emphasis features three options: comprehensive, plan I; comprehensive, plan II (non thesis); and choral music education. Music performance majors may choose between choral conducting, collaborative piano, orchestral conducting, jazz, voice, piano, piano pedagogy, instrumental and instrumental specialization—the latter a concentration within the brass, strings or woodwind areas, in a major and at least two minor instruments.

back to top

Health and Safety for the Musician

Musicians and health professional are finally becoming aware of appropriate ways to avoid music related injuries. Below are a few of the many basic resources for educating yourself about how to avoid problems.  

Hearing health

Hearing health is essential to your lifelong success as a musician.  Your hearing can be permanently damaged by loud sounds, including music. Technically, this is called Noise-Induced Hearing Loss (NIHL).  Such danger is constant.  Noise-induced hearing loss is generally preventable.  You must avoid overexposure to loud sounds, especially for long periods of time.  The closer you are to the source of a loud sound, the greater the risk of damage to your hearing mechanisms.  Sounds over 85 dB (your typical vacuum cleaner) in intensity pose the greatest risk to your hearing.  Risk of hearing loss is based on a combination of sound or loudness intensity and duration.  Recommended maximum daily exposure times  (NIOSH)  to sounds at or above 85 dB are as follows:

  • 85 dB (vacuum cleaner, MP3 player at 1/3 volume) –8 hours
  • 90 dB (blender, hair dryer) –2 hours
  • 94 dB (MP3 player at 1/2 volume) –1 hour
  • 100 dB (MP3 player at full volume, lawnmower) –15 minutes
  • 110 dB (rock concert, power tools) –2 minutes
  • 120 dB (jet planes at take-off) –without ear protection, sound damage is almost immediate

Certain behaviors (controlling volume levels in practice and rehearsal, avoiding noisy environments, turning down the volume) reduce your risk of hearing loss.  Be mindful of those MP3  earbuds.  See  chart above. The use of earplugs and earmuffs helps to protect your hearing health. Day-to-day decisions can impact your hearing health, both now and in the future. Since sound exposure occurs in and out of school, you also need to learn more and take care of your own hearing health on a daily, even hourly basis.  It is important to follow basic hearing health guidelines. It is also important to study this issue and learn more.  If you are concerned about your personal hearing health, talk with a medical professional. The Health Center occasionally gives free hearing screenings. If you are concerned about your hearing health in relationship to your program of study, consult the Dean’s office.

This information is provided by the National Association of Schools of Music (NASM) and the Performing Arts Medicine Association (PAMA), “Protecting Your Hearing Health:  Student Information Sheet on Noise Induced Hearing Loss.”  NASM/PAMA:  November 2011.  For more information, check out the other NASM- PAMA hearing health documents, located on the NASM Website.

Musculoskeletal health

There are many sources of information about how to protect your body from the various kinds of injuries that can come from playing an instrument.  Among them, you may find the following helpful books and websites helpful.  The books are in the BGSU library, along with many other books on the subject.

William Dawson:  Fit as a Fiddle:  The Musician’s Guide to Playing Healthy.

ML3820.D38 2008

Thomas Carlson Mark:  What Every Pianist Needs to Know About the Body.

ML3820.M37 2003

Alan H.D. Watson: The Biology of Musical Performance and Performance-related Injury.

The Role of Rest, by Ralph A. Manchester

A Painful Melody: Repetitive Strain Injury Among Musicians, by Tamara Mitchell 

Repetitive Stress and Strain Injuries: Preventive Exercises for the Musician, by Gail A. Shafer-Crane

Vocal health

There are also many resources about vocal health readily available, including:

back to top

Instruments and Other Equipment

No College-owned instruments or equipment, including music stands, are to be used outside the building without permission. Persons with legitimate musical and educational needs may use College-owned property outside the building only if it has been properly signed out. (Students in faculty-sponsored ensembles are excepted.) Sign-out is accomplished through the appropriate professor.

Piano Technician

The College of Musical Arts employs a Piano Technician for tuning, maintenance, repair and the rebuilding of its pianos. The Piano Technician’s shop is located in room 2016.

Tuning, Repairs and Maintenance

Requests for tuning, repairs and maintenance of specific College-owned pianos can be made through this link. Request for tuning of harpsichords should be directed to the Piano Technician two weeks prior to the performance.

Piano Usage

Most of the pianos in the College of Musical Arts are available for general use by music faculty and students. However, in order to maintain the best possible instrument quality, the College’s Hamburg Steinway in Kobacker Hall and the Steinways in Bryan Recital Hall have been designated as performance pianos only.

Except for approved rehearsals preceding scheduled performance, these instruments are not to be used for practice. Approved use is as follows:

  • Faculty recital programs.
  • Studio piano recitals, juries, College Recitals and seminars.
  • Student degree recitals. (When being used for a student recital, students must request a piano key from the CMA department secretaries. A $5 deposit is required and will be returned when the key is returned.)
  • Guest recital and others by approval of the Keyboard Coordinator.

Please note that there is separate policy in place for using extended piano techniques, including touching the strings: Protocol for Extended Techniques Piano Performance


The College maintains two harpsichords for performance use, a solo instrument and a continuo instrument. See the harpsichord coordinator to arrange for use of either. Faculty and students should also make arrangements to move the instrument through the harpsichord coordinator.

back to top


If you are registered for applied lessons and are in need of a locker, please see your studio teacher at the beginning of the Fall semester for your locker assignment and instructions. If your area is voice, organ or piano, please see the Music Performance Studies secretary (room 1031) for your locker assignment and instructions. All CMA lockers are locked and you will receive the combination for the lock when you sign out the locker. Questions about locker assignments may be directed to your studio teacher.

As noted above, BGSU can assume no responsibility for the loss of personally owned instruments or equipment, whether or not in lockers.

back to top

MidAmerican Center for Contemporary Music (MACCM)

The Center coordinates and supports contemporary music activities through the dissemination of information, the sponsorship of research, the collection of archival materials and the presentation of new music concerts and symposia, including the Annual New Music & Art Festival, its national radio series and the Forefront Series. Outreach activities foster creativity, performance and education in contemporary art music. State-of-the-art music technology studios promote research projects in sound design, video synthesis, MIDI performance, digital editing, and all aspects of computer music applications.

The MidAmerican Center for Contemporary Music offers competitive student grants for projects related to contemporary music. Funding is available for research, development, travel and guests. For further details and application forms, contact the MACCM Administrative Assistant, room 3004, in the Moore Musical Arts Center.

For more information please see: MACCM Grants.

Moore Musical Arts Center Facilities

The Moore Musical Arts Center is open from 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. daily. Please cooperate with the custodians by leaving the building promptly at 1 a.m. Building hours during holiday breaks and summer session are subject to change.

The Moore Musical Arts Center is a non-smoking facility. Smoking is only permitted at designated areas outside the building. No smoking is allowed in the courtyard of the Center.



Most classrooms in the Moore Musical Arts Center are kept unlocked in order that they can be used for rehearsals at times when classes are not scheduled. Multiple use of a room can cause problems unless everyone is mindful of others. If a room is left in disarray late in the evening, those needing a room early the next day can be seriously inconvenienced, and there are no University personnel to “pick up” after the previous users.

  • Persons using classrooms for rehearsals should, upon leaving:
  • Return desks in the room to their “classroom arrangement.”
  • Return any music stands borrowed for the rehearsal to their “home.”
  • Pick up any litter that might have accumulated.
  • Please leave the audio visual cabinets as you found them.

Thoughtfulness of others is always much appreciated!

Food and Beverages

The only areas in the Moore Musical Arts Center in which food and beverages are permitted are:

Kennedy Green Room;

Lounge area on the lower level near the food and beverage vending machines.


Permission must be received from the Office of the Dean for the consumption, serving, possession or sale of alcoholic beverages in the Moore Musical Arts Center. Whenever permission is granted, it is understood that all legal responsibilities as outlined in the BGSU Student Code must be observed.

Roller blades

Roller blades, skateboards and bikes are prohibited in the building.

Kobacker Hall and Bryan Recital Hall

Only current Moore Musical Arts Center Technical Staff are permitted to operate or move any stage, lighting or sound equipment.

All accidents must be reported to the Technical Director immediately or as soon as possible.

It is the responsibility of users of Kobacker Hall to make sure all lights are turned off, the “ghost light” is turned on and all of the doors are closed and locked at the end of each usage (even if the hall has been opened by someone else!).

The user is responsible to make sure that halls, including stage areas, are kept clear and clean of debris.

All damaged or malfunctioning equipment must be tagged as to its problems and reported to the Technical Director as soon as possible.

Practice Room Regulations

Use of practice facilities in the Moore Musical Arts Center is limited to persons who are registered at Bowling Green State University for a music course with a performance component requiring use of these facilities.

Several rooms are assigned to specific areas for their exclusive use: Creative Arts, percussion, organ, piano majors, small ensembles and graduate assistants (applied teaching). These rooms are clearly marked. Other practice rooms are available for student use under conditions as specified below.

  • For security and safety reasons, the practice room window cannot be covered.
  • Anyone leaving a room for 10 minutes automatically forfeits the room, whether or not instruments or materials are left.
  • Smoking, food and beverages are not permitted in practice rooms, in the CMA building, or on campus (except for a few designated areas).
  • No piano is to be moved from a practice room for any purpose unless permission has been granted from the piano technician.
  • Please treat the practice rooms and equipment carefully. Before leaving, pick up your belongings and turn off the light.
  • Nothing is to be placed on the practice room window blocking the view into the room. In case of an emergency, for example, visual access into the room may be important in locating you.
  • Do not leave personal items such as musical instruments, wallets, purses or books unattended at any time. Thefts should be reported to Campus Police.
  • Practicing is not permitted in the Center’s courtyard.
  • Use of the courtyard as a performance space must be scheduled through the scheduling manager.

Violations of practice room facilities may result in loss of practice room privileges.

Summer use of Facilities

Use of College facilities during summer session is subject to the following rules:

Be registered as a BGSU student during the summer session or have been registered in the previous term for a music course with performance component requiring use of these facilities.

Abide by all building hours and usage policies.

Student Lounge

The student lounge located in the basement level of the building offers: vending machines, lockers, study area and bulletin boards for students’ information. Food and beverages are permitted only in this area. Students are reminded that the Moore Musical Arts Center is a non-smoking facility and Bowling Green State University is a smoke-free campus.

Curriculum Lab

The Curriculum Lab is located on the second floor of the Moore Musical Arts Center in room 2119. The lab contains teaching aids, music books and materials for use in music education classes. Materials may be checked out during posted hours.

Computer Lab

The Computer Lab is located in the basement level of the Moore Musical Arts Center, and offers more than 30 Macintosh computers. The lab is geared towards the needs of music majors, but is open to anyone who wants to explore and create. Students may also use the computers for more traditional purposes, such as word processing or desktop publishing. The bulk of the computers are equipped with two keyboards: a computer keyboard and an electronic piano keyboard. The lab is used primarily for undergraduate instruction, to learn note processing and sequencing.

back to top

Music Library

The Music Library, located on the third floor of the Jerome Library, contains a collection of music, books on music, sound recordings, and online resources designed to support the general and specialized studies at BGSU. The library also includes the Sound Recordings Archives, the largest collection of popular music recordings at an academic library in North America. Included within the Music Library is a listening center with carrels for listening to recordings in all formats as well as a group viewing station. Books, music, and some sound recordings circulate outside the library; reference materials and archival sound recordings must be used within the library, but arrangements can be made to transfer content for use in class presentations. Course listening is available as streaming audio 24/7. Library orientation and assistance in using materials are services available from the library staff. Reference service is also available during the week. Hours are posted at the beginning of each semester. Inter-session, holiday and vacation hours are posted prior to the change schedules.

back to top

Noncredit Instruction in the Moore Musical Arts Center

Because the College of Musical Arts is part of a state institution, it is essential to assure that Moore Musical Arts Center facilities are appropriately utilized. Several Ohio Attorney General’s opinions (most important, Opinion No. 86-046) affirm that a reasonable charge must be made for use of University facilities and equipment.

Accordingly, faculty and students are advised of the following:

Any person receiving noncredit instruction in the Moore Musical Arts Center, whether by a College of Musical Arts faculty member or student should be registered through the Creative Arts Program.

Any person, other than a College faculty member, wishing to teach privately in the Moore Musical Arts Center should apply to become a CAP teacher through the CAP Coordinator.

back to top

Performance Courses

Applied Music: Make-up Policy

The applied instructor has no obligation to give make-up lessons or to review other course responsibilities missed by a student as a result of absence. Although the instructor may accept a student’s cause for an absence as a basis for making up lessons or course requirements, the responsibility for making up work missed during an absence rests with the student.

However, if the instructor is absent from a student’s scheduled lesson, the student can expect to have that lesson made up or to have an equivalent experience provided, such as a master class, or instruction from a teaching assistant to be arranged at a mutually convenient time for both the student and the instructor.

Jury Examinations

Applied performance and composition jury examinations occur each semester during examination week. The faculty for each area comprises the jury for these examinations.

All music majors studying in their principal applied medium and all composition majors are required to take jury examinations. Some applied areas have varying requirements for non-music majors and music minors, as well as music majors and minors in secondary performance media; see the performance-area coordinators.

Failure to meet expected standards in weekly applied lessons or in jury examinations will be reflected in the course grade. A grade lower than “C” will result in probationary status in applied instruction or composition for the following semester. The appropriate chair will send a letter to the student indicating the reasons for the probationary status, its duration and recommended action for its removal. If the student eliminates the identified deficiencies within the probationary period, the probationary status will be lifted and permission will be granted to continue instruction as required in the student’s degree program option. If conditions for removal of the probationary status are not met, the student will be denied registration in applied instruction or composition in the student’s degree program option. After one semester, the student may apply to the appropriate faculty for reinstatement.

Jury examinations are appropriate times for students to express their interest in change of emphasis or degree program within the College of Musical Arts.


Large performing ensembles are open to any University student possessing the necessary ability. An audition may be necessary. Ensemble audition requirements and procedures are listed for each ensemble. Students may also contact the respective conductor for audition information. All credit earned in large ensembles is placed on the student’s permanent academic record.

Large ensembles include: Wind Symphony, Concert Band, University Band, Falcon Marching Band, Wind Ensemble, Jazz Lab Bands I and II, A Cappella Choir, Collegiate Chorale, University Choral Society, Men’s Chorus, Women’s Chorus and Philharmonia (symphony orchestra).

Small ensembles are formed on demand and carry the same course number, MUSP or MUCT 3000/4000/5000. Small ensembles include: groups of like or mixed instruments, chamber ensembles, jazz combos, brass choir, piano accompaniment, world-music ensembles, music theater productions and others. Please consult the department office for further information.

Ensemble Participation Requirements

All music majors are required to audition for and enroll in a major ensemble each semester they are enrolled for applied lessons.

The full Ensemble Participation Policy is found in the Undergraduate Catalog

Ensemble policy for students on Music Talent Award

Ensemble Requirements for Music Talent Awards (Bravo Music Awards) by Major

Choose one ensemble from the relevant category:

Voice Performance (0-59 credits earned)

A Cappella Choir
Collegiate Chorale
University Choral Society

Voice Performance (60+ credits earned)       

A Cappella Choir
Collegiate Chorale
University Choral Society
Opera Theater

Choral Music Education

A Cappella Choir
Collegiate Chorale
University Choral Society

Instrumental (Wind and Percussion) Performance

Wind Symphony
Concert Band

Instrumental (Wind and Percussion) Music Education

Wind Symphony
Concert Band

Instrumental (Strings) Performance


Instrumental (Strings) Music Education


Jazz Studies (Instrumental)

Jazz Lab Band I
Jazz Lab Band II

Jazz Studies (Voice)

Vocal Jazz Ensemble

Any variance from the required ensemble assignments will be reviewed through consultation with the applied instructor, ensemble directors and the appropriate department chair to determine if the student is in compliance with MTA performance requirements.

Guitar, piano and composition majors will be assigned to large ensembles or an equivalent substitution based on consultation with the applied instructor, ensemble directors and the appropriate department chair.

Students with double awards need to fulfill ensemble and applied instruction requirements in both areas.

back to top

Personal Property

Students are advised to safeguard personal property against possible loss or theft. For example, under no circumstances should musical instruments or other personal property be left in practice rooms, locked or unlocked. Bowling Green State University can assume no responsibility for the loss of personally owned instruments or equipment. It is suggested that individuals obtain insurance coverage for valuable personally owned musical instruments. Users of the University-owned instruments are also encouraged to obtain insurance for the period of usage. A frequently employed mechanism is a musical-instrument endorsement on a homeowner’s policy.

Lost and Found

Articles lost or found may be dropped off or reclaimed in the College Office. Articles will be held at the front desk for five days, after which they may be picked up at the Campus Safety and Security Office. A box in the basement contains less valuable lost items.

back to top TOP

Pro Musica

Pro Musica supports the College of Musical Arts by inviting the participation of alumni, friends, parents and the Bowling Green community in a wide variety of musical events and by providing financial support for music students.

Further details and application forms are available on the Pro Musica Page.

back to top

Recital Attendance

As a graduation requirement, all music majors must successfully complete six semesters of MUS 099, Recital Attendance. Music minors must complete MUS 099 when registered for applied music study. Successful completion of MUS 099 requires attendance at a minimum of 10 performances each semester, excluding those in which the student is a participant. Please see the current syllabus on Canvas for details.

Recital attendance is monitored as follows: for each program attended in its entirety, the student is responsible for (a) signing the printed concert/recital program, (b) writing his/her ID number below the signature, and (c) obtaining the complete signature (not initials) of a College of Musical Arts faculty or staff member or graduate assistant. The student must sign the program and provide the ID number prior to obtaining the faculty member’s or graduate assistant’s signature. The faculty signature indicates that, to the best of the faculty member’s knowledge, the student was in attendance for the entire concert. For ease of recording, it is recommended that signatures be placed in the upper right-hand corner of the program. Upon collecting a minimum of 15 signed programs, the student must submit them to the recital attendance secretary in the college office on or before the required date (see syllabus). Three off-campus performances are allowed and must have the signature of the student’s private teacher.

In addition, all freshmen must submit a minimum of five concert/recital programs by the beginning of the seventh week of classes each semester. The remaining ten programs must be submitted by the end of the semester in order to successfully complete the MUS 99 requirements. Freshmen must also usher at one concert per semester. (see below). You may count this concert as one of your 10 performances.

If a student fails to successfully complete any of the syllabus requirements, the student’s grade for MUS 099 will be reported as a “U.” This grade becomes a permanent part of the academic record. Graduation as a music major, however, requires six semesters of satisfactory recital attendance credit. Students receiving a “U” grade should consult the Assistant Dean for information on completing the recital attendance requirement. This consultation should take place by the following March 1 and November 1 for “U” grades received in the fall and spring semesters, respectively.

Students are expected to display integrity in meeting recital attendance requirements. Violations will be dealt with under terms of the University Academic Honesty Policy.

Monitoring of student recital attendance is accomplished through the signing of printed recital programs. The regulations governing this monitoring are:

  • Signatures are accepted only from full-time faculty or staff, part-time faculty and contracted graduate assistants.
  • Students should sign programs and provide their ID number before the confirming signature is obtained.
  • Signature should be provided only immediately following the conclusion of the event at the site of the event.

Freshman Year Ushering Service

All freshmen must sign up to usher at one Kobacker Hall or Donnell Theatre concert each semester. The list of concerts will be posted at the start of each semester. Usher sign-up is handled only on certain dates each semester (see syllabus). Usher duties, instructions and guidelines are available here.

back to top

Recital Policies and Procedures

The policies and procedures are for scheduling in the Moore Musical Arts Center.

General Information

Please note carefully—you are ultimately responsible for all aspects of your event. Nothing happens automatically. Be sure to plan ahead for your needs. See the Student Recital Checklist.


Scheduling Manager is located in room 0107.

Fall Semester Recitals: The scheduling for degree recitals will begin on the first day of classes. Non-degree recital sign-ups begin the second week of classes. Spring Semester Recitals: The scheduling for degree recitals will begin in mid-November. Students presenting degree recitals will be given a two-week priority in scheduling. Those presenting non-degree recitals may schedule beginning in week three after scheduling begins for spring semester. Summer Recitals: The scheduling for any student recital, degree or non-degree, will begin in late-April.

According to college policy, events are not be scheduled during the last week of classes and exam week without permission from the Office of the Dean. Students must have a signed Recital Permission Form to schedule their event. In the case of a joint recital, each student must have their own signed Recital Approval Form from their respective applied teacher (one name per form) and participants must come to the same scheduling appointment.

Dress rehearsals will be scheduled at the same time to ensure space availability.

No rescheduling of events will be permitted during the semester, but canceled events may be rescheduled for the following semester. Special circumstances will be considered by the Director of Public Events by submitting a written request. This request must be signed by the student’s studio teacher and area department chair before it is submitted to the Public Events Office director.

If for any reason a recital must be canceled, the student must sign an event cancellation form and return it to the Scheduling Manager. Email, voice mail and/or notes will not be accepted, nor will studio teacher’s notification.


Dress rehearsals may not exceed one-and-a-half hour (one hour and twenty minutes, if a class is scheduled immediately after the rehearsal) and must be scheduled when you reserve your recital date. If additional rehearsal time during the week of your event is required, see the secretaries in the College Main Office, room 1031. Rehearsal must end within the period scheduled, including time to clear stage. Rehearsal stage set-up and break-down is the performer’s responsibility. Performance lighting is not available for rehearsals.


Please arrive for stage set-up one-half hour prior to performance starting time. Warm-up must end 15 minutes prior to performance.

Performers are responsible for stage changes during performance. Use of the harpsichord requires pre-approval from the harpsichord coordinator. The studio harpsichord should be moved into the hall at least one day in advance to allow environmental acclimation. Performers also are responsible for ushers, page turners, door openers, etc.

Undergraduate students are not permitted to hold receptions in the Green Room. Any post-concert reception following a student recital must take place in the lower level Student Lounge.

Graduate students wishing to hold a reception in the Green Room should inform the Technical Director to obtain a Green Room Usage Form. No receptions can be scheduled unless this form is completed. All setup and cleanup are the responsibility of the user. User will be charged for extra cleaning time at the University rate. Trash bags are provided. No leftover food and/or beverage is to remain in the refrigerator. Trash is to be taken to the dumpster at the loading dock (located off of entrance by the first-floor elevator).

Student Programs

Students are responsible for their own recital programs, including design and printing, but they must adhere to the CMA approved format, including the CMA/BGSU Arts logo. Specific requirements and templates are available here.

Not only must students adhere to the CMA approved format, they must submit a proof copy for their applied instructor for approval. Students are also required to furnish the Public Events Office (Room 1035) with 4 copies of their program for archival purposes.  


Recording of student recitals may be arranged by completing a Recording Form, available from Recording Services room 0114. Recording requests must be made two weeks prior to the event to guarantee staff availability. Contact the Manager of Recording Services at (419) 372-8405. There is a fee for recording student recitals.

Performance Lighting

If you have arranged with Recording Services to have the event recorded, the engineer will provide performance lighting. If you have not arranged with Recording Services to have the event recorded, performance lighting for events in Bryan Recital Hall is not available.

Performance lighting is not available for recording sessions.

Piano Reservation

Performance pianos are tuned on a regularly scheduled basis. Specific pianos may be reserved for performance by submitting a Piano Reservation Form.

The Steinway Ds may be used for student degree recitals. It is the responsibility of the student—not the studio teacher and not the accompanist—to sign out a key for the piano. In most cases this should be done within a week of the recital, as the key will be necessary for the dress rehearsal as well. A key may be signed out from your applied instructor.  

Recording Services

The Moore Musical Arts Center is equipped with a professional recording studio which is available to students and faculty. The studio rate is competitive with other area studios. Anyone desiring to use this facility should contact the Director of Recording Services or the Recording Services Manager.

Student recitals are not recorded automatically. A Recording Order Form may be obtained from the Recording Services Office. It is the student’s responsibility to complete and return the form to Recording Services. Requests must be made an absolute minimum of two weeks in advance of the recital. Recording forms turned in after the deadline will be subject to a late fee. Also, all student recital requests must be paid for in full at the time of the request.

Student recitals performed outside of the Moore Musical Arts Center are not covered by Recording Services. Students should check with Recording Services for outside recording assistance.

Duplication services are also available to students needing copies of concerts, audition tapes, etc. Please use a CD order form available on the Recording Services office door or at the box office. Completed CDs may be obtained from Recording Services, MMAC 0114. If further information is required for any of the above services, please contact the Recording Manager in the Recording Services Office (419) 372-8405.

back to top


The College of Musical Arts conducts advisement for course registration at announced times for following semesters. The department advisor is available for academic advising prior to and during this advisement period. Please plan ahead and meet with your advisor, if necessary, before you register. All freshmen are required to see their advisor before they will be allowed to register for classes in the spring semester. All first-semester seniors must see their advisor for an official degree audit.

To aid in planning, students should have a copy of the curricular checksheet for their particular major. Checksheets are available here and in the College Office. The following additional information concerning registration may be helpful:

In registering for courses, prerequisites must be observed.

Details regarding the S/U grading option are provided in the BGSU Undergraduate Catalog. This option must be declared by the university’s stated grade change deadline. No required or elective courses appearing on a student’s degree checksheet may be taken for S/U credit with the exception of general education (BGP) courses, which may be taken for S/U credit. Elective hours within and outside of music not required by the student’s degree program may also be taken on an S/U basis provided that the general grading policies of the University are maintained. Credit by exam is permitted according to the university’s policy.

The grade of “D” is a passing grade except under the S/U option, in which case it is converted to a “U” and carries no credit.

Policies for repeating a course are provided in the BGSU Undergraduate Catalog. Repeating a course does not result in removal of a grade from the transcript. Under some circumstances, the credit hours and quality points for the original registration are not used in computing the cumulative grade-point average.

Changes in Registration

Changes in registration should be processed through the College Office. Students must fill out a schedule change form and obtain the appropriate signatures. University deadlines for certain changes are specified in Undergraduate and Graduate Catalogs and in the Schedule of Classes for each semester.

Following is a summary:

  • To add a course: within seven calendar days from the beginning of classes in fall/spring semesters and three calendar days from the beginning of classes during summer session

  • To drop a course with no record on the transcript: within seven calendar days from the beginning of classes in fall/spring semesters and three calendar days from the beginning of classes during summer session.

  • To drop a course with a grade of W: if a student officially drops a course between the drop deadline (above) and before the end of the 12th week of classes (fall/spring semesters) a grade of W will be assigned.

A grade of F will be assigned if:

  • The student withdraws after the intervals described above;

  • The student stops attending the class without processing a withdrawal;

  • The student has never attended the class and has not processed an official withdrawal.

To elect a grade option of S/U: within seven calendar days from the beginning of classes in fall/spring semester and three calendar days from the beginning of classes during summer session. Tuition refunds are pro-rated, depending on the drop date.

To apply for graduation: May—end of second week of spring semester, August—end of first week of summer session and December—end of second week of fall semester

All changes should be processed and approved in the College Office.

Small Ensemble Registration

Before registering for any woodwind, brass, string or mixed ensemble, please follow these guidelines:

Organize the appropriate ensemble personnel (feel free to ask the music faculty for recommendations).

  • Find several common times for weekly rehearsals.
  • Consult the listed coordinator in charge of your ensemble interest. Provide the above information, and request the assignment of an ensemble coach.
  • Check to see if adequate sheet music is available.
  • Determine the time and place of first meeting

Most classrooms and large practice rooms can be reserved for rehearsals by having the coach reserve the room in the College Office, room 1031.

Ensemble registration must be completed by the end of the first week of classes each semester, and each member must be registered to participate. See the area coordinator or department chair if there is a question about which section to register for.

Applied Instruction

A student who registers for one credit hour of applied instruction receives a half-hour lesson each week of a 15-week semester or equivalent experience. A student who registers for two, three or four credit hours of applied instruction receives an hour lesson each week for a 15-week semester, or equivalent experience. The student is responsible for knowing and meeting all applied instruction requirements, assignments and performance examinations (juries), as indicated by the applied instructor(s).

All students who register for any “arranged” course, including applied instruction, should see the instructor(s) listed in the Schedule of Classes during the first day of classes to determine the specific meeting day, time and place.

back to top


According to college policy, events are not be scheduled during the last week of classes and exam week without permission from the Office of the Dean.

Classrooms, Performance Halls and Related Facilities

Scheduling of all classroom facilities, except the Kelly Rehearsal Hall and Choral Rehearsal Hall, is coordinated in the College Office, room 1031 in the College Office. Scheduling of Kobacker Hall, Bryan Recital Hall, Kennedy Green Room, Kelly Rehearsal Hall, Choral Rehearsal Hall and dressing rooms is done through the Technical Director, room 0107. Scheduling hours are 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Friday. Questions should be addressed to the Director of the Public Events Office, room 1037. If additional assistance is required, messages may be left in the Technical Director’s mailbox.

Open weekly scheduling of Bryan Recital Hall and the Kelly and Choral Rehearsal Halls will be available in the College Office each Monday on a first-come, first-served basis.

Student Recitals

All student solo, ad hoc ensembles, composition, conducting and studio recitals must be scheduled according to the following procedures: (see Student Recital Programs and Recording Services)

Fall semester: student recitals will be scheduled beginning the first day of the fall semester. Spring semester: student recitals will be scheduled in November. To sign-up for an appointment, see the schedule posted on the Scene Shop door, room 0107, in late October.

To select a recital date students must present a signed Recital Approval Form to the Technical Director from their applied instructor. Scheduling is on a first-come, first-served basis.

Recital locations will be Bryan Recital Hall and the Choral Rehearsal Hall. Recital hours are as follows: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday at 8 p.m.; and Saturday and Sunday at noon, 2 p.m., 4 p.m., 6 p.m. and 8 p.m.

Rehearsal time is limited to a single one-and-a-half hour period. Students will need to know the schedules of their accompanists, collaborating artists, etc. when they meet with the Technical Director.

Final permission to perform the recital is secured through the submitting of a completed Recital Jury Approval form to the Chair of Music Performance Studies. See the appropriate area coordinators to schedule this jury. Recital juries are to be performed at least one month before the recital date.

It is the student’s responsibility to notify the Technical Director in writing of any recital cancellations.

If a student is unable to present a recital at his/her chosen time, the recital will be canceled and rescheduled in the following semester.

College Recitals (Alternate Friday Afternoons at 2:30)

A student wishing to perform on a Friday afternoon College Recital must obtain a form from the Music Performance Studies secretary in the College Office and complete it, returning the form to the secretary. This must be done by noon, three days before the performance. Selection of students for a specific recital and establishment of order of performance are at the discretion of the Chair of the Department of Music Performance Studies, with the advice of area coordinators.


Performers are limited to a single 90-minute session of rehearsal time in the performance halls.

Use of Kobacker Hall

Kobacker Hall is reserved for special guest performances, operas, large ensemble concerts, occasional faculty recitals and College Recitals. In the last case, rehearsals in the hall are not scheduled. Other rehearsals in Kobacker Hall may be scheduled only in preparation for events to be presented in that facility.

Except for conducting recitals, when ensemble space requirements might necessitate, student solo recitals or recording sessions are not to be scheduled in Kobacker Hall.

back to top

Student Employment

Student employment at the CMA is handled by the Dean’s Office, and outside the College of Musical Arts through the Office of Student Employment, located in 225 Bowen-Thompson Student Union. Jobs may be applied for on-line here:

back to top

Student Recital Programs

Students are responsible for their own recital programs, including design and printing, but they must adhere to the CMA approved format, including the CMA-BGSU Arts logo. Specific requirements and templates are available here.

In addition to following the CMA approved format, students must submit a proof copy for their applied instructor for approval, and provide eight copies fo their programs to the Public Events Office for archival purposes. Programs can be dropped off in an envelope outside MMAC Room 2107.

back to top

Transfer Students


Admission to BGSU as a music major or minor, involves both admission to the University and approval to major or minor in music (passing an entrance audition).

To schedule an audition, students should consult the audition page.

Students currently enrolled in other degree programs at Bowling Green State University who wish to transfer into the College of Musical Arts as a major or minor must pass an entrance audition the semester prior to transfer and have a minimum 2.5 grade point average.

Transfer students from other colleges or universities who wish to major or minor in music must pass an entrance audition one semester prior to enrollment and have a minimum 2.5 grade point average.


Many music courses, such as Aural Skills, Class Piano, Music History and Music Theory, transfer to Bowling Green State University as credit only. Transfer students, upon passing their entrance audition and completion of the Theory placement test, will participate in a series of placement testing to determine if you need any additional courses. These tests vary for each subject area. If transferring during junior year, the sophomore review for music education and performance students needs to be passed.

Aural Skills

There is one test for placement. It usually takes place the first week of a semester. Students will either test out of Aural Skills (MuCT 1410, MuCT 1420, MuCT 2410, MuCT 2420) or be placed at the appropriate level.

Class Piano

Students are tested by individual appointment. This test is usually offered to students with previous piano experience during the first week of classes.

Music History

Students receiving “A’s” and “B’s” at their current school may present the syllabus to the Chair of the Department of Musicology/Composition/History for the music history courses taken at another school. If it appears to cover the material of comparable music history courses (MuCT 2610, MuCT 2620, MuCT 3610) at Bowling Green State University, it may fulfill the requirements of the College of Musical Arts.

Music Theory

Students who have completed one semester of music theory with grades of “A” or “B” will begin with the Theory I (MuCT 1510) test.

Students with two semesters of music theory, with an “A” or “B,” have the option of beginning with the Theory I or the Theory II test.

Students who have completed three or more semesters of music theory, with an “A” or “B,” have the option of beginning with the Theory I, Theory II or the Theory III test.

Students may take the theory tests by contacting a music advisor once they have passed their entrance audition.

Other Courses

When you attend Orientation/Registration for transfer students, your advisor will go over any course that is listed on your transfer evaluation with an XX after the number, i.e. MuCT IXX. The advisor would discuss whether or not the course will be evaluated and will transfer to Bowling Green State University as a specific course or for credit only.

Classroom methods courses for licensure must be taken at the school granting the license. The use of non-music courses for degree requirements is dependent upon the evaluation by the Bowling Green State University Office of Transfer Evaluation.

Updated: 12/20/2022 04:11PM